Is this scope any good?

This is a discussion on Is this scope any good? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; HAWKE Varmint Side Focus 6-24x44 Rifle Scope, 1/2 Mil Dot Reticle im looking for a good but cheap mildot or 1/2 mildot scope for my ...

Is this scope any good?

HAWKE Varmint Side Focus 6-24x44 Rifle Scope, 1/2 Mil Dot Reticle

im looking for a good but cheap mildot or 1/2 mildot scope for my r700 .308. this one looks good. nice and simple. i like to calculate everything using mils and i like to zero the scope once and keep it that way. any one know if this one is any good?

Re: Is this scope any good?

Just my 2 cents, but if you REALLY want to get into the mil dot game and are just learning, I'd suggest either a FFP reticle, which will allow you to range at every magnification, or a fixed, rear focus 10x scope, like the Super Sniper. These retail for around $300.

Most good FFP scopes are going to be pricey, so I think my latter suggestion might just be better yet.

One of the problems with the cheap, high mag scopes is you won't be able to use that 24x very effectively when it heats up and the mirage starts to play havoc with you.
    Your mostly better served getting a lesser magnification, quality scope and going from there.

Again, not trying to tell you what you need, but I've been through the same journey your undertaking and wished I'd kept my money and invested in better scope early on.
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

I know good and cheap arent gonna be found together, really i shouldve said good enough. I just want a scope that i can use mils and can handle the recoil on my rifle. Im getting into shooting at 500+ yards and i have done my homework and memorized formulas for calculating distance using mils, atleast for the scope i have now. Currently i have a bushnell banner scope, 6-24x40mm in mildot but i have a feeling that it cannot handle the recoil of the gun because every time i shoot it its not zeroed in, even after zeroing it the time before. I thought this hawke seemed good enough according to reviews but i was just wondering if anyone has this scope and could give me a personal review. I was kind of hoping for no more than $300 which i know is not easy for a decent mildot scope.

Did you make sure the base and rings are locked down tight? Might just be the scope is loose and not actually "bad". For $300 I would recommend the Millet TRS-1. It's the 4-16x50 model which is plenty for shooting at 500yds. It is also MIL/MIL and comes with an illuminated reticule and side focus. There is also the MIL/MOA version if that is your preference.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... cm_vc=S016

I respectfully disagree on the Millet.
    The unit that I messed with was unremarkable.
    I wouldn't spend my money on it, but others here may say otherwise.

I like the 10x Super Sniper, or 10x fixed Bushnell product.

Good shooting.
    You just picked up a hitcher...a prisoner of the white lines on the free way.

I like the Millett TRS too. The biggest plus of the scope is the fact its mil/mil (turrets and reticle match).
    I also like the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm MD/SF. It has really clean optics for the money and the turrets are nice. They are what I would call low tactical turrets but you don't have to use your fingertips like some other cheap scopes. The one bad thing is that it is in MOA/MIL, but its not that hard to equate between the two. Life is just easier on a matching turret/reticle scope. I used that Nikon for 2yrs out to 1,100yds with a 20moa base when I first started out. I still have it on a .223 for the girlfriend.
    I don't know the Super Snipers very well but some seem to like them. I would prefer a Wotac over the Hawke scope for sure. JMO.
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

Quote Originally Posted by Avorbrodt
    im looking for a good but cheap mildot or 1/2 mildot scope for my r700 .308.
    Mil-dot is a kind of reticle and there are Army versions and Marine versions. The reticle may be placed on the second focal plane (common) or on the First Focal Plane (better for ranging at any magnification.)

These reticles can come with 1/8 MoA turrets, 1/4 MoA turrets, 0.1 Mil turrets, 1/2 Moa Turrets, 0.2 Mil turrets, or 1 MoA turrets. The turrets are the devices used to move the reticle in step inclements as seen on the focused image.

{Ys, I know I'm completely glossing over MoA versus IPHY.}

The turrets, optics, and reticle can be installed in 1" body, 30mm body, or 35mm body. The larger the body the stronger the scope and the more <verticle> range the turrets can control.

I have never been behind a Hawke, but I have handled one at a gunshow. I do have a little experience with the Wotac 4-14, Millet TRS, and the SWFA 10x. The Millet and the Wotac are about the same in optical clarity and I felt the SWFA was superior. I can't really speak about the repeat-ability of the adjustments because I haven't had that much time with them. I would have to say the SWFA seemed to be the most well constructed just from holding it and the adjustments felt much crisper than the others. If I was looking to spend 300 bucks on a scope I would go with the SS 10x over those other scopes without hesitation, but that is just my 2.

Another vote for the FFP to learn the mil system ... just makes things easier. On a budget ... go fixed 10x .... if you can afford a little more snag a used SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP for $450.

Ads