Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Quick Mildot Scope Question

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Brainz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I will be going on the range soon, and I just was wondering if you guys can clarify a couple things for me. My bushnell 3200 5-15 mildot scope has Red lettering on the number 15 for the zoom. From what I understand is that at that specific magnification, that is when the scope is a true mil dot scope. So, can someone quickly throw the equations at me for what numbers I am supposed to use to divide the height of object in mils etc etc? thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If you scope is not a FFP, then there will be one magnification that you are supposed to use it at for ranging. If your's is marked in red at 15, then that's what you use.

As to the rest, check your manual. There should be a very brief overview on how to use the mil-dot to do ranging.

You will also find a whole heap of stuff here if you do a search on "ranging".

You may also find it very handy to get yourself a Mil-Dot Master - it's a sort of slide rule with a nice set of instructions.

#4 ·
The_Hun said:
well the manual for the bushnell elite 3200 talks about scopes that have 12X in red for the magnification and not 15, so I am assuming the number you use would be different.
It's whatever is marked on the scope. The book on mine is wrong as well but in the other direction.

As long as you are at the designated magnification for that scope, the formula is the same for every scope. Here is a tutorial: http://www.shooterready.com/index.html

#5 ·
Hun,
If the 15 is red then that's yor setting for true mildots for ranging, hold overs and holdoffs. I had a Bushnell once and had the same confusion. I think they put the same booklet in every scope box.
As far as the math, here is the easiest way I know of to range objects.
Take your target height in Inches and multiply it by 27.77 = A
Then take A and divide it by the size in Mils (while looking through scope)
that will give you your range to target.
Ex:
your target is 30inches tall. Looking through your scope its 2mils tall
Take 30 x 27.77 = 833.1
then 833.1 / 2 = 416.55
target is 417yds away.

27.77 is just a constant number used for this equation, Do Not let it confuse you. just always multiply it(27.77) times your target height in inches. You have to know your targets size in Inches for the math to work. Also when sizing the object through your scope you have to b as precise as possible, as well as use a steady rest for the rifle. Break the size of the object down to the most exact number you can, like 1.7 or 2.3 or 1.2 etc.. At longer ranges being off with this number by just a little can mean a miss by alot. You have to practice reading heights and widths through your scope to get good at ranging. If you have a rangefinder, use it to check your math. Regardless practice, practice, practice.
15x's will be your wind values true setting also. If you don't have ballistic cards you should definatly get some. I've made some for guys who have moa/mil scopes so they can holdoff for wind without converting moa to mils. I have their elevation in moa and their wind calls in mils and it's made life much easier for them. Reason being I hardly ever dial in my scope for wind because it's constantly changing, so I hold off. If their is a constant wind however I will dial in for wind. Holding off is just quicker and easier. Anyway, hope this helps.

#6 ·
Hey Brandon, thanks for the reply on sniper central, I finally got out to the range today to take my first shots with the new savage 10pc. I was able to mildot range my target to basically exactly 500 yards which was pretty cool. Your ballistics charts you made me are amazing. pretty scary actually, however, I noticed on the chart you sent me that it says it is for 168r hornady smk bthp, but the ammo I have been using is the Hornady 165 SST Performance : http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-16 ... rformance/

Do you think it is a big deal or should I be using a different ballistic chart. My altitude is 760 ft above see. 31.23hg 80% humidity.

Either way I had a blast today. I shot, cleaned shot cleaned shot 3 cleaned sighted in for 100 yards. shot once at 200 yds, right in the middle, so i got excited and went right for the 500 yds. I pulled out your chart, dialed my turret according to the yardage, pulled the trigger, and to my disbelief hit another bullseye at 500 yards! So i figure ok beginners luck, I take 3 more shots at the 500 and they were all over the place... ugh i figure, maybe the barrel is getting too hot, maybe i should clean, couldn't figure it out. So i figured I would call it a day and head back home since it was getting late and I was boiling already from the hot sun. So as I am packing away my gun into the case, I notice somehow the harris bi-pod became completely loose and was just dangling off the end of the pin it clips through! I was like wtf.... Somehow the hand tightening screw thin became loose.. You think this is what caused my later troubles? any way to make sure it doesn't come loose again? Either way i headed back since most of everything was packed away. But overall what an awesome day of shooting and I cant wait to get back out there. Let me know if you think I should get some correct charts, the ones you made ROCK!

Thanks

#7 ·
So glad to hear you had a blast! Sounds like you did some good shooting too. Shooting at 500yds, wind will play a factor in where the bullet hits. Keeping good technique and aiming at the same spot each time has alot to do with it to of course. As far as your bipod, the only thing I know for you to do is make sure it's tightened down every 5 or so shots. Really shouldn't be loosening up on you.
Its always good to have the exact ballistics for what your shooting and the surrounding weather conditions. I use the Nightforce Exbal program and as you saw it's pretty much dead on. I think the computer program is $65 on NF's site, it was worth the money to me. You can try the link that was posted above too. I don't have any expierience with it though.
By the way, if your shooting at 500yds and you can keep your rounds within 10" of each other thats still good shooting. Especially for a someone just starting out. If you need anything let me know.
The addiction of long range shooting is strong :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.