Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Vortex crossfire scope review from a amateur.

45K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Jebtact1 
#1 ·
I purchased a vortex crossfire 6-24X50 AO with lighted Mil Dot Reticule. first impression right out of the box is for a scope that cost less then $150 I think it looks nice, the coating is uniform and matte black in color. The lens look pretty clear once the AO was adjusted for the range I was looking at. I will say the lens seem to me to look clearer then the ones in another lower end scope I looked at in the store I was checking out different scopes in. My first complaint would be the lens was dirty out of the box and the lens wipe they included left more lint then tissue paper. The second complaint is the battery for the lighted reticule was dead right out of the package. The battery comes in a plastic bag and when I installed it the reticule did not light up I tried flipping it over to see if I had installed it incorrectly as there are no markings to say witch way it installs but still did not work. I at this point am hopping its the battery as I have not got a new one to try yet. Third complaint the coating or paint on the battery cover started to flake off when I unscrewed it to put the battery in. these are not a really bad thing most of my complaints at this time are more like minor observations of things that annoy more then affect the scope. I will say I purchased this scope because 1) it was on sale for $120 including shipping for a 6-24X50 scope in that price range it was between Barska, Tasco, other off brands, and BSA. I figured for the cost might as well, That said the warranty also made me take another look at the vortex brand over the others. 2) I wanted a Mil Dot reticule, the lighted part did not matter to me was just included, second part is I want to get out and shoot, but right now I can not afford a high dollar scope and wanted to get something cost effective to get me by till I could afford the scope I really want. 3) I spoke with vortex on the phone before buying the scope and they spent plenty of time explaining their thoughts on what I was doing and said they would have no problem warranting the scope on the rifle I was putting it on. They also agreed with me on my first choice of scope and said once I got it that I would not have to buy another scope ever again. That tells me they believe in their product and will stand behind it!! 100% that to me is worth a lot. Now I have not mounted the scope yet and will do so once I get the right rings picked out for it. I am looking at weaver 6bolt heavy recoil rings but I have to get the right ones for my application. Now for those wondering yes I got impatient and bought this scope to put on my Bushmaster BA50 till I can afford the vortex viper that I want. I figured for the low cost why not give it a shot. Will let you guys know how it does in a few weeks once my ammo gets here and I get it installed.

For those curious about the adjustments. This scope has 1/4 M.O.A. Turrets they are tall style. The turrets feel good and do have a slight click when turned and you can feel the click they are clearly marked and easy to read. The A.O. adjustment is on the front of the scope and clearly marked, it does not click but has a nice tight feel to it. The power adjustment does click slightly and is very stiff almost a little hard to turn but it is right near the eye piece and does get easier to turn after it is off the 6X position. The eye piece is kinda stiff to adjust but I am sure once adjusted it wont move. All the markings for everything from the Ill. reticule to the turrets is clearly marked in white and very easy to read. So far I am happy with what I have seen.
Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Ill start out with did you get the older style 1" tube or the new 30mm tube? Reason I ask is everything Ive read on the net is they had rectile problems with the 1" tube models. An with it riding on top of a 50bmg Id say it will die a painfull death,lol ( but ya never know). But the Vortex warranty is bar none one of the best so they will replace it or fix it. Let us know how it does.

#3 ·
sgreen3 said:
Ill start out with did you get the older style 1" tube or the new 30mm tube? Reason I ask is everything Ive read on the net is they had rectile problems with the 1" tube models. An with it riding on top of a 50bmg Id say it will die a painfull death,lol ( but ya never know). But the Vortex warranty is bar none one of the best so they will replace it or fix it. Let us know how it does.
I got the newest model with the 30mm tube and the Ill. reticule the older ones did not have the 30mm tube or the Ill. reticule also the older ones just had the plex reticule this one has the Mil Dot (Army style) as I described above.
As I said I spoke to Vortex before purchasing it. I looked at the older model at a local store and they wanted $200 + tax with the plex reticule and no Ill. it was 30mm tube. I will say this one for way less is the newest model from an online source that has a sale on all vortex scopes. This scope has better optics then the one in the store also the feel of the turrets, AO, range, and eye piece adjustment is better on this one then the one in the store but that may in part be from the other one being a display. I do think they have done some nice changes. Plus the one in the store seemed to my eyes to not be as clear as this one even when properly adjusted I could not get the one in the store to be as clear as this one. I did some more tactile feeling by turning the turrets and adjusting the scope for 100yrds and it all felt good. Time will tell.
Jeff

#4 ·
I have one of the 1" tube models still sitting in the box. I got it cheap and thought it would work good on my .22 trainer. Ive looked into the one you are talking about. But from what Ive read that particular model has been discontinued for 2012 its not even on thier site any more. Please post up some follow up about the one you have, id like to hear how it does.

Ive noticed even the one I have, the glass is pretty clear for a scope that less than 100bucks. Far better than any of that BSA, or Barska stuff. The turrets are nice an tight with good audible clicks, but as you said time will tell. But It was worth it to have the warranty.

#5 ·
Well I found out by replacing the battery that the Ill. does not work. After buying lens cleaner and going over the lens real good found what looks to be a scratch in the coating on the out side of the objective lens. You don't see the scratch or notice it when looking through the scope but you do when looking at the front of the scope. I had not noticed that this scope was being discontinued but I did find out that it has been talked about. I will ask vortex when I am talking to them monday, to find out what I need to do to get the scope fixed or replaced. My biggest complaint now would be quality control. I would have hoped they checked to make sure all the parts worked before shipping out a scope. I will see what they say. Personally I am gonna try and get them to cover shipping as I have not even got to do any thing with the scope and parts are not working.

#6 ·
That sucks. The price ya pay when ya get a cheaper scope OC may not be as good as the higher priced ones. But I will venture to sau Vortex will do what ever they can to take care of the problem. The thing I keep reading over an over is there is pretty much two things that you get with this scope. You either get one that is perfect and they have no problem with them or there is a number of problems and they need sent back or you end up upgrading to one of their better scopes. I just hope by me putting the 1" tube model I have will be ok living atop my .22 trainer. Let us know what you find out.

#7 ·
Update: Vortex paid shipping from me to them and will send it back once fixed. They are gonna look at the AO lens and see if it can be fixed or replaced. They are gonna fix the Ill. that does not work and go over the scope before shipping it back to me. They said it might take 2-3weeks. So they are standing behind the scope. The lady on the phone offered to either refund purchase price or to send a pickup request via Fedex and fix or replace scope at their cost, I opted to have it fixed or replaced. It will give me time to sell some extra stuff I had from my bike so I can get more money for ammo and range time. So the warranty is good and since no paying for shipping even better.

#9 ·
I got one of these scopes and after 5 rounds I realized that zero was all over the place then I looked at the turrets and took note of where they were. Then I fired a shot and rechecked, sure as **** the windage was 3 clicks off. Shot again, off 3 more. I ditched it after that. The turrets don't lock and are under dust covers. Not worth my money.

#10 ·
Yup Rowdy thats one of the complaints that i have read alot of about this scope. Did you have the 1" or 30mm tube? Did you have it warrantied?

#12 ·
You know the one at sportsmens wherehouse I looked at had real easy to turn turrets and did not click. I was wondering about that, because this one's turrets do click and have a tighter feel. The guy at SW told me it was cause it was a display. Also as I said above the lens's on the one in the store where not as clear plus the adjustments all felt soft. It was an older model too but was 30mm tube. It did have the AO but not the Ill reticule. also it did not have mil dot as I stated above. I am thinking this scope may not hold up well if the display all ready had issues. Time will tell but with the warranty and the fact I will only be shooting this thing once a month I will give it a try once I get it back.

#13 ·
It very well may not jeb, but the warranty will take care of you. But hey, for the price it was worth a shot.

#15 ·
Indeed it does Rico. I will say though i think it woulod be ok for a rimfire scope. But I agree there Viper line are real nice. But it seems most major brands sell a less expensive model, not every one has 7- 800 bucks to drop on a scope, lord knows I dont. But queality glass sure does make shooting alot nicer :mrgreen:

#16 ·
scope came home yesturday lighted reticule works great now lenses are clear no scratches. so now just need to get it mounted and see how it does. I might not get to the range this month still trying to find a range here that is still open that allows 50BMG most of the ranges that did allow it are starting to go either private or not allowing 50 BMG during normal times. only two ranges I found so far that allow non members to shoot this weapon system and from what I was told one is down for repairs. the other is 4hrs plus drive one way.

#18 ·
I wish I could lol think that only works for TV. I know there is a law that says with permission you can shoot on open land.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.