Nikon Monarch Parallax Problem?

This is a discussion on Nikon Monarch Parallax Problem? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I just purchased a new Nikon Monarch 3-12 with side focus for my Savage Mark II. It mounted perfect with no complications and sighted in ...

Nikon Monarch Parallax Problem?

I just purchased a new Nikon Monarch 3-12 with side focus for my Savage Mark II. It mounted perfect with no complications and sighted in also with no problems. Tracks perfect. The only "problem" is it seems like the parallax knob doesn't do anything. I don't see any difference in any setting from 50 yards to infinity. Its not that the image is out of focus because it's not. It is nice a crisp at all ranges. But I think I should being seeing some changes when the knob it adjusted. I have a couple Mark 4s and they all change noticeably when the knob is turned. I set the ring cap screws at 20 in/lbs so I don't think they're are over tight and binding the adjustment. Does this sound normal or is there something not working properly.

Re: Nikon Monarch Parallax Problem?

PARALLAX ERROR - Parallax error is when changing positions of your eye will change the point of aim of your scope. The error is related to the distance the target is from you. Most sporting rifle scopes are set to be Parallax Error-Free at 100 yards. That is, when aiming through your scope at a target 100 yards away, the point of aim stays the same regardless of the position or movement of your eye (side to side or up/down).
    Parallax is One Thing, Focus is Something Else - Scope "Marketing" people often call parallax adjustment an "Adjustable Focus" or "Side-Focus". It's NOT. You set the scope to be parallax error free at a certain distance. And if the image is not in focus, you focus it with your eyepiece. This is where the "Fast Focus Eyepiece" comes in handy.
    TEST FOR PARALLAX ERROR - Itís pretty simple (and enlightening!) to test your scope for parallax error. Position your scope or scoped firearm in sand-bags so that it is aiming at a 100 yard target. Now, without touching the gun or the scope, move your head from side to side while looking through the scope. If the crosshair moves around on the target, youíre seeing parallax error at that distance. How much error depends on how much movement. Iíve seen some scopes where the movement was 4-6inches! To find the distance where your scope is parallax error-free, do this experiment at 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125 yards. The distance where it is error free will also be the distance at which you shoot most accurately.
    PARALLAX ADJUSTABLE SCOPES -
    Scopes with an adjustable objective (AO) allow you to set the distance at which they are parallax error-free. These scopes are also designated as Parallax Adjustable (PA), Side Focusing (SF), etc. It's misleading to call this feature"focusing" because its really parallax correction. Its also important to note that the distance markings on the parallax adjustment are quite often not exact. Set the parallax then focus the eyepiece.
    This is partly due to the scope user's own eye optics, but also due to changes within the scope from one magnification setting to the next. In fact, some high end scope companies have addressed this by not putting specific distances on the parallax adjustment. Instead, they say use the test (above) to find the point of zero parallax error for each distance yourself. Use a silver or white paint pen to mark the positions. When all other features are equal, adjustable parallax can make a cheap scope a bargain by simply being able to exactly dial out all of the parallax error when aiming.

Re: Nikon Monarch Parallax Problem?

Well after playing with the scope a little I believe everything you stated is correct. I also consulted with a buddy that has the same scope. He confirmed the same info. Thanks for the response. All points made were things I already knew but I was a little concerned about the adjustments behaving differently that those on my other scopes. Thanks again!

Ads