Compact Spotting Scopes 2012

This is a discussion on Compact Spotting Scopes 2012 within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have a relatively inexpensive Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope. It's OK but it's BIG. Some time back, I recall seeing some favorable reviews for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Compact Spotting Scopes 2012

I have a relatively inexpensive Konus 20-60x80 spotting scope. It's OK but it's BIG.

Some time back, I recall seeing some favorable reviews for a compact Bushnell 15-45x60 FLP (folded light path) scope. This only seemed to be available as a tactical version with a mil-dot reticle and was running about $350 - outside my budget at the time. I recently started looking for this scope again and it would appear to be out of production because almost no one lists it any more and those that do have it out of stock or are very dubious vendors.

So, anyone have any suggestions for a decent compact spotting scope that's currently available? I'd like something that goes up to around 40x or so and would fit in a backpack without filling it up completely and won't cost an arm and leg.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Re: Compact Spotting Scopes 2012

kinda suprised they discontinued those FLP models with the mildot ... was a great buy. I have a FLP in the 20-60x80 and its a great spotter for the $$$. We use it with a lipstick cam to record trace and it does a great job. Spotters with reticles are becoming more popular but still not many options

cool little monocular fixed 15x
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... pe/reticle

gold standard Leupy thats SPENDY
    http://www.leupold.com/tactical/product ... -tactical/

USO field spotter
    http://www.usoptics.com/optics/field-sp ... scope.html

I have the USO with a GAP reticle ... and the title of field spotter is accurate. Its not much of a range spotter. If you are calling corrections for someone on a UKD range it works great. Using Mil relation to range targets it works decent. At 40x the GAP reticle is HUGE and thick. from 15x to 25x its very usable for its intended application. Also works well as a Club type defensive weapon!

Really don't need the mil-dot reticle. I just went looking for that scope because it had fairly good optics for the cost.

I looked for the FLP 20-60x and it seems to be discontinued as well. It was a porro vs a roof prism so it was larger than the Excursion FLP but if I could find one it might be a solution.

The Vortex is very nice but it's something like $600 which a lot for a 15x.

The Leupold and USO are way out of my price range.

For Compact Spotters:
    USO
    Vortex Recon (15x not a lot of power)
    Leupold Mark 4
    IOR OPTOLYTH

I'm sure there are more good ones that I'm not think of right now.

Mike @ CST

Quote Originally Posted by CS TACTICAL
    For Compact Spotters:
    USO
    Vortex Recon (15x not a lot of power)
    Leupold Mark 4
    IOR OPTOLYTH
    The cheapest one there is the Vortex and it's about $550 if memory serves me. The rest are 2-4x more. Way out of my league.

Sorry. I would say the Bushnell if they were still making them. Good luck finding one. If I think of one I will post it.

Anyone have any experience with...

The Bushnell Legend 15-45x60?
    http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...a-hd/785460ED/

There's also a Bushnell FLP without the mildot (model 781560ED) but that's not even on the Bushnell site any more. Also nearly impossible to find.

One dubious choice is the Burris XTS-2575. Looks to be a reflector scope.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/xts2575spot.html

I just ran across something new to me, a Minox MD50 15-30x50. Street price is around $300.
    http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=6201&L=1

The two scopes that would seem to be the best choices at this point are the Bushnell Legend 12-36x50 and 15-45x60.

There's very little difference in size or weight between the two but some comments I have read rate the smaller scope as more "packable" because it comes with a scope glove which gives it a bit more protection than the latter. It's also about $50 less. Of course the downside is 50mm vs 60mm.

The good news is that both are ED glass and are considered to be as good or better than the FLP models that they seem to have replaced.

The little Minox 16-30x50 is still a bit of a wild card. What reviews I can find are quite good and it is easily the smallest and lightest scope I have found - certainly at that power.

I can't speak to the Ledgend models but I know that I have been happy with my Bushnell FLP 20-60x80. Its big and not something I pack around but the glass and clarify is much better than anything in the same price range that I have looked though. When RSOing at a match last year a lot of guys running through the lane looked through it and were also suprised. They were "questioning" my ability to spot the 900 yard target on the lane with a lowly Bushnell ... so I let them have a look. They were all suprised after they did. I had 3 UKD targets on the lane and had a spotter on each so I wasn't moving the scopes from target to target all day.

Short answer ... I would take the Bushnell over the Minox. I have never used a Minox spotter though ... only looked through there scopes.

On the monocular side of things, the Vortex Solo R/T is a neat little 8x36 monocular with a mil-hash reticle. But 8x is not really that much power and I can't really see using it to do any ranging.

Recently, the Bushnell Legend HD 10x42 tactical with a mil reticle has been showing up. At 10x it's more power and more price than the Vortex, but I still question if that's really all that practical for ranging.

The thing is, just about anything I can range with a low powered monocular, I can probably range with a laser rangefinder a lot easier.

The Vortex Recon, at 15x, would seem to be a better choice for both spotting and ranging, but the price is just too high.

Any opinions on the pros/cons of a 10x mil reticle monocular?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads