Wotac scope - review

This is a discussion on Wotac scope - review within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Wotac scopes - a horrible product and horrible customer service to go with it. Just over a year ago I purchased a Wotac 4-14x50 ( ...

Wotac scope - review

Wotac scopes - a horrible product and horrible customer service to go with it.

Just over a year ago I purchased a Wotac 4-14x50 (http://www.sightwonders.com/wotac-4-14x ... ticle.html). It has been one of the worst experiences with a product and company I have ever had. I would not recommend them to anyone.

At first the scope seemed ok quality for $330. Around the 150 round mark things started to go awry. It no longer would hold zero and the glass began to get a bit fuzzy. Around 200 rounds the rear bell loosened up and would spin around freely. The parallax adjustment would no longer bring objects into focus. The last time I shot with it the reticle came loose and tilted 45 degrees. At this point it was no longer useable and time to send it in for warranty.

This is were the experience got bad. I dont mind when a product breaks, it happens, **** breaks. I judge a company by how they take care of a problem when it occurs. So I tried contacting Wotac for warranty information, I called over a dozen times with no return call, and sent 3 emails. Finally I recieved a call and was told to send the scope for repair. This was three weeks ago.

The scope was sent with a description of the problems. When I was told to send it back. I was also told most claims were handled within 48 hrs from recieving the broken product, usually a brand new scope being set as a replacement. I gave Wotac a week to contact me from delivery until I started calling. I have called everyday for the past week and a half and sent 2 emails. I have heard nothing back from the company.

This is where I stand. I am pissed off. So I will say it again, DO NOT purchase anything from Wonder Optics. Unless you want a piece of junk with a lifetime warranty that you can not get replaced.

Before you think 'this guy just got a bad unit', I know of two more scopes that suffered the same problems. The owners had the same experiences with bad customer service. Maybe they will chime in.

George

Re: Wotac scope - review

I was one of the other two guys that also had a WOTAC fail. I spent 3 weeks chasing the owner and by the time I had heard back from him (had to make a post here also publicly) I had already made arrangements for it to have a new owner so that he could try out the "lifetime warranty". I chalked it up to a lessen learned. I will send anyone I can to any company other than Wotac. Piss poor product, with even worse business man.

I recieved my scope back yesterday, STILL BROKEN, in the same packaging I sent. It was shipped to Wotac's PO box address listed on their website it was returned to me with a label from the post office saying 'unclaimed'. I have emailed and called Wotac with no answer.

This guy is a complete scum bag. I will be filling a claim with the BBB. I hope no one ever does business with this company.
    Im sure their will be more updates to come.

George

Good luck, WOTAC is out of business. Matt Wonders is not a "scumbag". He is a guy who tried to bring a product to market and failed. I own two WOTAC scopes, I drank the kool-aid years ago when the gen5 4X14X50 came out and "all" the issues with the gen4 were supposedly addressed.

One scope is trash now, but the other is serving well on a non-critical "just for fun" rifle. You are stuck, like I am....get over it and move on because you will not get your pound of flesh out od wonders optics....

Quote Originally Posted by crockett007
    Good luck, WOTAC is out of business. Matt Wonders is not a "scumbag". He is a guy who tried to bring a product to market and failed. I own two WOTAC scopes, I drank the kool-aid years ago when the gen5 4X14X50 came out and "all" the issues with the gen4 were supposedly addressed.

One scope is trash now, but the other is serving well on a non-critical "just for fun" rifle. You are stuck, like I am....get over it and move on because you will not get your pound of flesh out od wonders optics....
    No kidding ... website still up and running ... you can still add his scopes to your cart and send him $$$ ....

Interesting ... Another One bites the dust ... and the list of flash in the pan chinese outsourced scope companies grows

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper524

No kidding ... website still up and running ... you can still add his scopes to your cart and send him $$$ ....

Interesting ... Another One bites the dust ... and the list of flash in the pan chinese outsourced scope companies grows
    Sapper, you're right. Chinese components and manufacture are bad, period. I wish the information as to where and with what these scopes are made wasn't a top secret.They are marketed with very little technical information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper524

Sapper, you're right. Chinese components and manufacture are bad, period. I wish the information as to where and with what these scopes are made wasn't a top secret.They are marketed with very little technical information.
    Chinese components and manufacture are not to blame here. The Chinese are capable of manufacturing nearly on the same level as the Japanese and in some cases better. But you have to clearly specify what you want and then you *MUST* monitor and hold them to specification. The biggest difference between the Japanese and Chinese is not capability, it's character. The Chinese will do WHATEVER they can get away with.

*THIS* problem is more about an American businessman who succumbed to the age old problem, for whatever reason, of not clearly communicating with his customer base. This is poor business ethics. It may stem from poor quality or missed shipments, we'll never know for sure, but what we do know is that Matt Wonders failed to sufficiently communicate clearly to his customers what was/is really going on and he stopped doing what he said he would do. And for that he loses his reputation and hopefully the word will get out and people will stop sending him money.

John
    "Those who do not study history are destined to repeat it."

"Pray for me cause I have lost my faith in holy wars... Will I learn what's truly sacred?
    Will I redeem my soul? Will truth set me free?" - Sharon den Adel

It is one thing if he actually went out of business. I can understand that sometimes business fail and that cannot be helped. I even understand that the warranties are only good as long as the company is in business. What I don't understand is (1) selling products and advertising warranty after the company is "out of business" and (2) costing a customer even more money by telling them to ship a product back for warranty work that is never going to happen.

That being said, it is good to know about companies that run their business with character and companies that don't. I will gladly pay a little extra to buy a product or service from a company that is run with character. Only sometimes we find out too late!

Sorry about your experience. Thanks for letting us know so that we can look elsewhere.

And Hey, at least you got a "3" sunshade" that is probably still good
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Waiting on Tac-Ops to be built
    NRA Life-Member

The point of this thread was not just to complain about a crap company, same with the claim with BBB. What I am trying to do, is get the word out that Wotac has junk products and terrible customer service. I have heard that Wotac has gone out of business, if that was the case than why is the website and phone line still up and running?

I would like my scope replaced so I dont have a $300 paper weight, but I have already writin it off and will be ordering a quality replacement for the rifle it was on.

George

Ads