Mark 6 or Mark 8?

This is a discussion on Mark 6 or Mark 8? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys I am looking for a scope to put on my OBR I am thinking I wanna stay with Leupold and have narrowed it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mark 6 or Mark 8?

Hey guys I am looking for a scope to put on my OBR I am thinking I wanna stay with Leupold and have narrowed it down to the Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) M5B2 or the Mark 8 3.5-25x56mm (35mm) M5B2. In the H-58 retical any help would be appreciated. Looking to do more long range stuff.
    John

Re: Mark 6 or Mark 8?

my uncle wants me to look into schmidt & bender
    John

Thanks buddy will follow up with my decision
    John

Before you decide on a manufacturer, try and narrow down your specs.

Min and Max magnification?

SFP or FFP?

Mil/MOA, Mil/Mil, or MOA/MOA?

Reticle pattern (dot, hash, other)?

Price range?

What range you are shooting and what kind of targets will help determine what you really need. Identify your needs first then factor in your wants later.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

first i will say that i am only 22 i love shooting and wanted to get into long range shooting. I want to push myself to get out to a mile shot one day but for now i will be around the 1k mark will be shooting steel plates off a old deuce and half i cut up.

-FFP

-somewhere in the high teens to twenties on magnification.

-I am partial to the Horus reticle I'm new to long range shooting so the concept is great in my opinion.

-price point of well I'm willing to pay the $2450 for the Mark 8 so lets say $2500
    John

Quote Originally Posted by john.t.little1
    I am partial to the Horus reticle I'm new to long range shooting so the concept is great in my opinion.
    That type of reticle does have it's advantages but it's really designed to allow the shooter to make adjustments without having to dial in their dope. This is important for a shooter in a combat situation where rapid adjustments are important, but may not be a big advantage to an average Joe.

That said, IF the additional cost is not a deterrent and IF you are willing and able to take the time to really learn to use it to get everything out of it that you can, then go for it.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

So i decided to go with the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) M5 Front Focal scope with h58 reticle.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by avolcek
    That's a great scope. I have the same thing, but with the TMR. I find the Horus has WAY too much poo in the way for my normal shooting, and I'm not going to pay for poo.
    I can see what your saying it is kind of busy but i really like the idea and concept behind it.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by john.t.little1
    Quote Originally Posted by avolcek
    That's a great scope. I have the same thing, but with the TMR. I find the Horus has WAY too much poo in the way for my normal shooting, and I'm not going to pay for poo.
    I can see what your saying it is kind of busy but i really like the idea and concept behind it.

Liking the concept is a bad criteria for choosing a scope. Especially when its a $500 option.

The H58 concept works good on paper or in the desert, but in most temperate zones without much dust, it isn't very useful in the field.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

[/quote]Liking the concept is a bad criteria for choosing a scope. Especially when its a $500 option.

The H58 concept works good on paper or in the desert, but in most temperate zones without much dust, it isn't very useful in the field.[/quote]

What does that mean?

The Horus concept is proven technology and in wide use by people who's shots need to count more than for a match score. I'm also confused by the criticism of the reticle's utility in temperate, or non-dusty environments. The reticle wasn't developed for the desert, but to be an easy to use and intuitive tool for precision shooting, unlike the mil-dot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads