How Do I Determine my Ring Height?

This is a discussion on How Do I Determine my Ring Height? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; About to order some new pieces for my Rem 700 .308 The rail mount i chose is the Weaver extended multislot base for Rem 700 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddd oo7

Thread: How Do I Determine my Ring Height?

How Do I Determine my Ring Height?

About to order some new pieces for my Rem 700 .308
    The rail mount i chose is the Weaver extended multislot base for Rem 700 SA with 20 MOA
    Looking at the four hole pictany rings. (They come in 1" medium, 1"high, 1" X high, 1" XX high, 30 mm low, 30mm medium, 30mm high, 30mm X high)

Based on my rail mount and the rings I want, what size should my rings be?

Ps: Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject.
    The Scope I have is a Bushnell 3x9....not sure what the last part of the measurement is (3x9x__) I measured, using an old tape measure, right around the most narrow part of the scope, where the rings will be holding the scope, and got a measurement of 3" 1/4, and the widest part of the scope (far lens area?), and got a measurement of 6"

Thanks for the Help and Advice in advance guys. It is really much appreciated.
    -Dylan

If you are measuring circumference, then you have a 3-9x50 with a 1" tube...probably. A 30mm tube would measure about 3.75" around it. This would be much easier if you could get the diameter of the tube where the rings attach and at the end of the scope facing the target. Without those measurements we don't know what rings you need. also, what brand and type of rings are you looking at. different manufactures have different definitions of "low" "medium" and so forth.

JasonL1973 likes this.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Okay, so using an online calculator, i plugged in my measurements and this is what I came out with:
    Circumfrence of tube=3"1/4 ....Diameter=1.034
    Circumfrence of objective lens=6"...Diameter=1.909

Do these measurements make sense? If so recomendations for my ring height would be appreciated. The rings im looking at are the FOUR HOLE PICATINNY RINGS
    Thanks
    -Dylan

SW Ohio when I am not on my motorcycle riding north
    Ok so lets do a little math Dylan.

You have a 1" tube (where the rings attach) and approx 50mm Objective lens (1.909 inch as you measured it)

So that's .9 bigger objective than the tube... since half is below and half is above the tube you have about .45 inches sticking down you have to clear.

I would suggest the lowest rings that will clear just because its easier to repeat and just overall better for shooting. And unless you need see thru mounts for extreme close range then why mount it higher than neccicary.

Now your barrel probably also tapers away from the scope which gives you more room for that .45 inches of the objective lens hanging down.

So what you need to find out is which ones have around .5 to the lowest point where the scope sits. Unfortunately Weaver doesn't publish this. So your best bet is to ask weaver (if your set on weaver brand) and tell them what you have. Be specific.

My guess is the Medium will work. But you may be able to lower it more with a different brand....

BTW why looking at only Weaver? Lots of others out there...

What is the gun for? Hunting, Targets etc. What distances are you hoping to shoot? Also what is the gun and what caliber?

I ask this because you may want to invest in better rings and mounts if your going for long distances etc...

Thanks for that advice Jason. My gun is the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308
    I intend to use it for hunting coyotes and white tail deer, but also would like to use it for shooting targets at long range. I would eventually like to be able to use it to shoot accurately up to 700 yds roughly, maybe even longer. It is my first gun (have shot many of my fathers guns, and go hunting every season) and therefore just trying to get it set up with some basics for my needs. I intend to buy a much better scope for it in the next year or two. So in turn, will probably need to buy new rings for it down the road as well. I am open to other companies as well. Not just weaver. I chose weaver because I know I can get things shipped to a store in Ottawa, ON. But if you have suggestions on better equipment, with reasonable pricing, that can also be shipped or found with ease in Canada....specifically in the Ottawa area, feel free to ad some suggestions.
    Thanks again.
    -Dylan

With a 1" tube and 50mm objective, you need 1/2" of clearance from bottom of scope tube to the barrel (assuming the barrel is straight, which it is not-- your barrel is tapered)

Weaver medium rings have .280 from bottom of scope tube to top of base, lows are .250. your base will be close to 1/4" thick and maybe more. your barrel will taper at least 1/8" in that distance.

Medium weaver rings should work fine-- you probably have plenty of clearance for lows. I would buy the lows and return them if they are too low.
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    NRA Life-Member

Just to add to the confusion, some companies measure height differently than others. Check this thread for more on that.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    Just to add to the confusion, some companies measure height differently than others. Check this thread for more on that.

Yes they do. Midway USA takes some of the confusion out of the matter though because they list all of the measurements in height from bottom of tube to top of rail.
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    NRA Life-Member

Ads