best long range scope for beginner at 1000 + yards

This is a discussion on best long range scope for beginner at 1000 + yards within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am sorry if this topic has been posted before. I am new to long range shooting and don't understand all that go along with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: best long range scope for beginner at 1000 + yards

best long range scope for beginner at 1000 + yards

I am sorry if this topic has been posted before. I am new to long range shooting and don't understand all that go along with 1000 yard plus shooting but do not want to purchase an optic now and then again in a year when I realize this was not the right optic. I just purchased a Savage 110BA 338 Lapua and a Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 24" barrel. I want to learn to make long range shots up to and beyond 1000 yards. My budget is $2500 there about I like the nightforce velocity reticle but its seems good for a beginner but am thinking that is probably not a good long term reticle for my needs. Anyone have some suggestions on a scope and reticle for someone in my position. I do appreciate the more detail your answer as it helps me learn and understand. I find it very hard to get anyone to educate right now do to the frenzy the gun world is in. Please remember we all had to start out sometime! Thanks for your time

First step, go over to the introductions section of the forum and say hello, and include some of your shooting background that will help us, help you. Now I'm not familiar with the 6.5, but the 338 Lapua should get you out into the 1000 yard plus range. Guess a few things we should know how is your eye sight / what magnification range are you looking for? What kind of range do you shoot at; known distance ranges, Unknown distance. For the reticle will you be using your scope to figure out the distance to the target or do you have some other method. As for a Nightforce scope I just got my hands on one yesterday and I was impressed with the clarity of the lenses and over all construction it would be a scope you probably will never out grow. But thats my .02 cents what ever it's worth
    The truth only hurts if you're ashamed of it

I will work on the introduction as suggested. I am hoping to get to the 1000 yard plus plus range but need to start somewhere. My current experience take me only to 300 yard and my only optic experience is a non magnified eotech and a 3-9 VX-2 leupold. I was planning on purchasing a range finder. I also would like to learn to use my reticle to help me compute ranges. My total rifle experience is only in the 6-12 month range.
    Last edited by jwwjr67; 02-24-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by avolcek View Post
    IMHO, you just spent a load of money for a .338LM that is not required unless you need to hit 2000y. Unless you want to throw money away, if 1500-2000y isn't going to be general practice, sell the thing, and use it to fund ammunition.

Really serious wish you had ask for suggestions BEFORE you went out and bought your rifles. The 6.5 Grendel isn't a bad round for an AR, and it will do better than a .308 with a slight decrease in energy down range.

As for glass, that budget, Vortex Razor HD or Nightforce NXS F1 w/ MLR2, .1Mil adjustments.

I am hoping that the 1500 Plus range will be my norm in the future. As far as rifles or ammunition I have plenty of both maybe to many at this point. What I do not have is optics and that is why I am asking for some help. I have obtained the rifles I wanted over the past year and half but decided not to purchase optics for the above stated reason. I have been shooting most with iron sights. My stable of rifles is as follows:

3 LWRC M6A2 5.56 ( 1 has eotech mounted)
    1 POF 308 16"
    1 LWRC REPR 16" 308 ( leuphold VX2 3-9)
    1 Armalite 308 20"
    1 Rock River 458 socom
    1 Alexander Arms 6.5 grendel
    1 Savage 110 BA 338 lapua
    1 wilson combat 6.8 spc
    2 M&P performance Center MP22's

You are probably correct most of my guns are probably not needed but that's for me to decide. I have homes in AZ and California so I tend to keep my guns at each house and use them when I am visiting. I also have several friends and family members that enjoy there use. My ammo situation is more than sufficient at this time on all above mentioned rifles. If anyone would like to make optic suggestions for any of the above rifles that would be appreciated. My main use at this time is shooting steel and paper but hunting one day my come into play. My interest at this time is mastering the skill of long range shooting
    Last edited by jwwjr67; 02-24-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Hi jwwjr67 ..... you seem to not be overly concerned with price, so, as to a scope for the .338LM I would suggest you buy-once-cry-once and get a Schmidt & Bender 5 to25x56 PMII with metric/mil turrets. This will let you dial up a solution from 100 meters to at least 1800 meters (1950 yards) on an appropriate picatinny rail .... this should get you to 2000 meters, with a little hold over, depending on your rail.
    A Nightforce NSX scope of 3 to 15x50 would be a good call for your 20" Armalite .308 and should be a usable combo for out to 1000 meters. However, I would shoot the 155 Lapua Scenar projectiles at around 2830 fps to be sure of making the distance while still being super sonic from a 20" barrel ....... :-) have fun!

I get this question A LOT from friends. So often in fact, that I took the time to write a comprehensive blog post about it. It covers what the most important features are that you should look for in a long-range scope, and I also make specific recommendations for different price points.

Check it out at: Best Long-Range Scopes: 2013 Buyers Guide & Features To Look For | Precision Rifles & Handloading

The Sightron S-III 6-24 (30mm tube/side focus), MOA reticle is one of my favorite LR scopes.
    It has plenty on internal MOA adjustment, plus with it's MOA reticle you can even dial off of the reticle when distances get extreme.
    There are a lot of other scopes available for ultra distances (over 1K), but the one listed and the S-III 8-32 with MOA reticle are among my favorites.
    I used a 6-24 in a recent LR comp and did quite well with it.

Thanks for buyer's guide....good info that is hard to find if you're new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleBlog View Post
    I took the time to write a comprehensive blog post about it.
    I've seen several posts from you lately referring to your blog, but don't really know anything about you. How about going over to the Introductions section an posting something telling us about yourself, your experience, etc.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    I've seen several posts from you lately referring to your blog, but don't really know anything about you. How about going over to the Introductions section an posting something telling us about yourself, your experience, etc.
    I apologize. I didn't realize there was an Introduction section. I really like the idea. I've added a post there per your request.

Read before posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads