How Can I Convert "Coin-slot" Style turrets?

This is a discussion on How Can I Convert "Coin-slot" Style turrets? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have heard it is possible to do a retrofit to "coin-slot" style turrets to make it easier to dial shots. I'm indeed saving up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Can I Convert "Coin-slot" Style turrets?

I have heard it is possible to do a retrofit to "coin-slot" style turrets to make it easier to dial shots.

I'm indeed saving up for a Target/Tactical scope, but until I have the $1000 I want to spend, I want to make what I have work.

When I bought my Savage 111 30-06 Hunter it had a Bushnell 3-9 Scope. I had issues with this same model ($50 @ Walmart) Scope holding a zero on a 308 back in High School. Therefore I wanted to put the best glass I could get on it. Luckily I inherited a Ruger 77/22mag from my papa, and it had a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm (~$200) sitting on it. I knew the scope was good, and swapped it out with the Bushnell.

The Nikon holds an excellent zero the only adjustments I made were when I went to a different ammo. However, it is an older scope with the coin slot style turrets, this makes learning how to dial shots a pain. I have heard that there was a DIY thing you can do to modify the "coin-slot) for finger adjustments. Any body got any ideas?

Peace be with you,
    Robert

Administrator
    Kenton Industries.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Kenton Industries.

-Nate
    Thank you Nate. However, I'd rather the $109 go toward my scope fund. Do you or anyone know of a DIY mod that I could do?

Only DIY mod I have ever seen/heard of was crude but possibly could work for you, I guess, what I am going to tell you is what I saw someone do, I talked to them about it and they claimed it worked for their needs. Personally I would not do it, just basically because it degrades the value of the scope by modifying it. So here you go:

The guy had JB welded' nickles into his scope turrets. As you would use a coin to adjust this type of scope, from the looks of it he basically "glued" one into each. He said he had done it that way over a couple years prior, I thought to myself at that moment, either get a scope with finger adjustable turrets or basically use the scope how it was designed originally. Just my .02cents'

~Reagan
    "There is a very thin line between being Brave and being Stupid.",~R.Reagan

I have heard of people epoxying something onto the turret, but it's not a modification I would recommend.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    I have heard of people epoxying something onto the turret, but it's not a modification I would recommend.
    That's about all the information I've gotten I was hoping there was a DIY trick some fellow redneck came up with that didn't permanently alter the scope. I'm just going to use the page-hole protectors to mark the scope for point of reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfaCcjdnkxo) and just keep using rifle brass. Saving up for something that does what I want it to.

Stony Point makes a turret cap that works with some Leupold scopes but I doubt it's very interchangeable. Still, you might want to check with them to see.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    Stony Point makes a turret cap that works with some Leupold scopes but I doubt it's very interchangeable. Still, you might want to check with them to see.
    I wanted them to work. From everything I could find about them they are only for Leupold and Midway shows them as discontinued. Even so I'd be looking at around $40, if they would work. I'm just going to be happy with what I have and save up for want I really want. At this point I look at it like my tupperware stock. Yes I could spend $30 and bed it and have some improvement or put that $30 in the pickle jar and learn the limitations of what I have. I'm all for making due with what I have, but I also realize the limitations of what I have. I'll just keep saving until I can upgrade.

A little late to the game but I just found a guy who made this last night.
    Convert coin style turrets into finger adjustable turrets

Quote Originally Posted by boxtopshooter View Post
    A little late to the game but I just found a guy who made this last night.
    Convert coin style turrets into finger adjustable turrets

They no doubt would work but you'd then need to wear a cap with the name "Bubba" on it.

I used to have a scope like this but lucky enough for me it had a mil-dot reticle. I zero'd the scope and then just used the reticle for necessary hold-over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads