The Great Scope Debate (or no)t: Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper

This is a discussion on The Great Scope Debate (or no)t: Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm looking at two scopes that are almost exactly the same price. Slightly less than 500 from OP and Midway. Which is the most I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Great Scope Debate (or no)t: Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper

The Great Scope Debate (or no)t: Nikon Monarch vs Vortex Viper

I'm looking at two scopes that are almost exactly the same price. Slightly less than 500 from OP and Midway. Which is the most I can spend. One is the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 Mildot The other is the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44or50 PA Mildot

[Sorry for the huge picture, I don't know how to resize it] The features are very close and meet my set of requirements. The rifle is a Savage 30-06 that is my hunting rifle/Range gun that I pretend to be a sniper with.

Features that both have that I find preferable.

• Both have capped turrets that wont unknowingly be changed in the brush
    • Both have finger indexing turrents with the ability to zero the turret
    • both have paralax adjustment
    • both are availible with a Mil-dot reticle I believe they are both accurate at 12x
    • Each is covered by a lifetime warranty with the nod going to vortex for CS

Differences include

• 30mm tube on Viper 1inch tube on the Nikon: I don't think it will make a hill-a-beans difference to me
    • The Vortex is a 6.5-20 and the Nikon is 4-16. Higher Power of the Vortex is better at the range. Lower power of the Nikon is better IMO in the field
    • The Vortex zoom seems to be the preferable design over the Nikon

The Nikon Monarch and the Vortex Viper lines seem to be each brands "bread and butter lines" Each has good reputations, and there are indeed other scopes in this price range but these have the features I want.

I'll be dialing shots at the range, but for the field I'll establish a DOPE and use holds. Will the turrets be accurate if I ever get to go to a shooting school/go to a novice level competition? I have not found a local dealer of Vortex, but have seen various Nikons in person (I have an older Buckmaster from my grandfather), but not the Vortex. I like the sleek "no nonsense" look of the Nikon, but also like the "Tacticool" look of the Vortex.

Thanks, and peace be with you.
    Robert
    Last edited by rmdailey; 05-26-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Of the two I would choose the vortex.

Now, in all reality I wouldn't choose either. Yes, the monarch is the top of the line Nikon, but that really isn't saying much. Most anyone who is serious about shooting will steer clear of Nikon. On the other hand the vortex is the entry level of their offerings. They also have the PST line which is a great line of scopes and the HD which is very excellent. Also, the two scopes you are comparing are in different magnification levels. If you want to hunt, you need a minimum magnification in the 2.5-4 range. 6x is too much. Oh, and BTW, a 30mm tube over a 1" tube will make a difference. More light means shooting closer to dusk and typically more mils of adjustment as well.

If you are using dials and holdovers, you will want a scope with mil based reticle and mil based turrets unless you are a math whizz on the fly in your head.

You would be much better off looking at the PST line of vortex scopes. The one with 2.5-10 would probably fit your needs the best. The 4-16 will work too and give you a little more on the top end.

You are miles ahead of most in that you asked advice before buying. Now I suggest you listen to the advice you receive from others on this site so that you end up with the best scope to fit your needs without buying twice.
    Rem 700 sps-v .308 in AICS
    Thunderbeast 30P-1
    Tac Ops Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Since you are looking for a hunting scope, think about a hunting scope. You've chosen two that aren't that good for hunting or target.

Now, this forum is not hunting oriented, so most of what you read won't apply to you. And I don't hunt so it's not easy to suggest. I will say that you can get a good Leupold VX 3-9 with a Boon and Crocket reticle for under $500. Learn to use it and you'll become a good shot.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Instead of holdover check out Nikon's BDC reticle scopes. This allows you to use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program and enter all your shooting data into the program and get the corresponding distances for each BDC circle.
    How well does it work ? I went to a shooting event last week and sat down in from of a rifle i had never shot before, looked at the BDC data and put 5 shots on target at 500 yards. A friend who has not shot much and not at all in the last 3 years went 4 for 5. By the way, we were using that exact same scope! We also shot just as well with Nikon's M-308 BDC 800 on a DPMS LR-308.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...bartspoton.jpg
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

BDC reticles are for sissy girls that wear pink under their camo... aren't they?
    GMinor likes this.

Whatever works for you......As a hunter and avid target shooter I tell folks to find the scope that works the best for your needs and buy it. I just try make sure those asking a question get the right answer about Nikon optics.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Banned
    Here's the BDC turret on my AR. Cheap scope, but works till I get my PRH and kick down the Bushnell.
    null-5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    I just try make sure those asking a question get the right answer about Nikon optics.
    Admirable.

I've got a question: Does nikon currently offer a mil/mil/ffp optic?

Resourcefulness! Great job! Or., We currently do not, key word, currently! We do listen closely to what guys want and if it is something we can produce we will. While I don't know all the details, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like you asked about in the near future......thanks for the reply!
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    We currently do not, key word, currently! We do listen closely to what guys want and if it is something we can produce we will. While I don't know all the details, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like you asked about in the near future.
    That is virtually identical to the reply I received when I asked Nikon that same question at SHOT show 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads