Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Spotting Scope Review

This is a discussion on Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Spotting Scope Review within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Beyond a certain distance, it becomes difficult to see actual bullet strikes on paper. As a result, a lot of people look for more and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gsmithplm

Thread: Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Spotting Scope Review

Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 Spotting Scope Review

Beyond a certain distance, it becomes difficult to see actual bullet strikes on paper. As a result, a lot of people look for more and more powerful spotting scopes in order to stretch out that distance. Alas, it's not just magnification that matters. More power means you need better glass and even then mirage may keep you from seeing bullet holes that well. But seeing bullet holes is not the only thing a spotting scope is used for.

Two weeks ago, I spent a few days at Mel's class in Butte, MT doing some long range shooting - mostly in the 500-800yd range but some shooting out to 1000yds as well. Part of the reason I went is that people would be shooting as teams, alternating as shooter and spotter. It was up to the spotter to keep track of what the wind was doing and to watch the bullet trace to see where it was going. As strange as it may sound, as a spotter you often don't want a lot of magnification. You want a good field of view and magnification in the 20-30x range; even less sometimes.

I didn't have a good quality spotter so I dug into the piggy bank and purchased an angled version of the new compact Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 spotter. This tiny scope is only 10in long and weighs a mere 25oz. The optics are phenomenal and the 50mm lens sucks in light like a vacuum. I paired this scope with a Slik Sprint Mini II tripod with a QD ball head (thanks to Shane for recommending this) and both my partner and I found the pair very easy to use. I was even able to use the scope hand held at 11x while trying to locate unknown distance targets.

If you are trying to see .223 bullet holes at 500yds, then this might not be the scope you want. But I could see .308 holes in white targets at 600yd and hits on steel at 1000yd. Everyone who has looked at this scope thought it was great, and the fact that it can be easily stuffed into a rifle case or backpack makes it just that much better.
    GMinor likes this.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Hmmm. . . . I wonder how well a pair of Image Stabilized binocs would handle the spotter side of things. While they require a battery, the image quality is most impressive when the stabilization kicks in. Certainly not going to get up to 30x, but the FOV will be greater.

Certainly not the lightest of devices to be carrying around, but I'm impressed with them none-the-less.

Canon IS Binocs
    Be polite.
    Be professional.
    But have a plan to kill everyone you meet
    as they may have a plan to kill you.

That's a darned good review, Graham--concise, to the point, and clear. You've convinced me to get a Razor.

Yours,

David

Mel is going to be doing a review of that scope shortly.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."

Ads