FFP/SFP question

FFP/SFP question

This is a discussion on FFP/SFP question within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Well kind of... I completely understand the difference between the two but wondering what this certain "term" is called. So on a FFP scope, when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: FFP/SFP question

FFP/SFP question

Well kind of...

I completely understand the difference between the two but wondering what this certain "term" is called.

So on a FFP scope, when you dial up the magnification, the reticle follows that and gets bigger along with your target. Makes it real easy to measure...
    On a SFP scope the reticle stays at one size through all magnifications, yes... But at one point in the magnification level, the reticle matches the target size. Might be at the lowest power, might be at the highest power, might be at a nice even number like 10... I don't know...

If I were to ask a scope maker "Hey, at what magnification does your reticle match the target?"

Is there an actual term for that?
    And do most quality SFP scopes use a certain magnification level, I would think maybe the highest?

Just wondering...

I would ask, "at which magnification are the reticle subtensions accurate?"

Or I would buy a FFP so that I didn't have to ask that question
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    If I were to ask a scope maker "Hey, at what magnification does your reticle match the target?"
    Good option

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    I would ask, "at which magnification are the reticle subtensions accurate?"
    Better option

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Or I would buy a FFP so that I didn't have to ask that question
    Best option
    Rob01 likes this.
    - Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD (.308 WIN)
    - Savage Model 11 (.270 WSM)
    - Remington 760 Gamemaster (.243 WIN)
    - Winchester Model 9422M (.22 Win Mag)
    - Marlin Glenfield Model 20 (.22 S-L-LR)
    - Marlin Glenfield Model 60 (.22 LR)
    - Remington 870 Express Magnum (12 ga.)
    - Winchester Ranger Model 120 (20 ga.)
    - Ithaca M-66 SuperSingle (.410 ga.)
    - Ultra-Hi by Miroku of Japan (.45 BP)

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Ffp or sfp I have both, which is better? Most of my scope just get turn to the highest setting and usual stays there so it realy doesn't matter unless your always zooming in and out. Who mils or range estimates at low power? When usekng low power you are most likely at close range and you need a largef area of veiw and wherd ths effect on the bullet are minimum for leads and wind hold offs. So realy it comes down to what you like.

Cliffy
    grand-galop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    So realy it comes down to what you like.

Cliffy
    If you like being restricted, and not being able to do what you need to do in every situation... then yeah, I guess SFP is fine. If you like being able to do whatever you want, in every situation, then FFP is the obvious choice.

It's easy to say "I'll just shoot on max power" if you don't shoot very often. However, for those of us that shoot throughout the year, basically every day, it is impossible to make it through without backing the magnification down for one reason or the next. Not because we "want to," but because it's required.

Banned
    I dont know if my ansewr will be accurate but i`ll try to put my two cents.. LOL The FFP as i read is a good thing to have if the reticle is very fine so when you have to magnified the target size, you dont block the target with the reticle size.. The SFP is more touchy is you have to do a quick shot and dont pay attention to the magnification you are at when you do your firing solution.. On the SFP scope, it is easy to find the right magnification if you got a 100 yard range... Put a lid jar of 3.25 inch at range and play with the magnificcation until you cover 1 moa.. The same could be done with mill to at 100m.. I think i start to wrap my head around more amd more on this scope thing... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    If you like being restricted, and not being able to do what you need to do in every situation... then yeah, I guess SFP is fine. If you like being able to do whatever you want, in every situation, then FFP is the obvious choice.

Can you give a example of where you would turn down you power and still need you mil to be I line. You can still turn the power down on a sfp scope and use it. It all about learning how to use your equipment.

Cliffy

It's easy to say "I'll just shoot on max power" if you don't shoot very often. However, for those of us that shoot throughout the year, basically every day, it is impossible to make it through without backing the magnification down for one reason or the next. Not because we "want to," but because it's required.

Cliffy

Quote Originally Posted by grand-galop View Post
    I dont know if my ansewr will be accurate but i`ll try to put my two cents.. LOL The FFP as i read is a good thing to have if the reticle is very fine so when you have to magnified the target size, you dont block the target with the reticle size.. The SFP is more touchy is you have to do a quick shot and dont pay attention to the magnification you are at when you do your firing solution.. On the SFP scope, it is easy to find the right magnification if you got a 100 yard range... Put a lid jar of 3.25 inch at range and play with the magnificcation until you cover 1 moa.. The same could be done with mill to at 100m.. I think i start to wrap my head around more amd more on this scope thing... LOL
    ???huh??
    ddd oo7 likes this.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

Ok... What if I were out on the range with someone, and we only had his rifle, which had a 5-30 power, SFP, mil/mil scope on it. He takes a shot at about 320 yards and it impacts about 12" low and 15" right. Let's say we had one round left, but we had a smart phone and Internet access for some reason... If we knew where to dial the scope to, we could measure the miss, make the correction on the turrets, and probably get a very close hit.

Is there a commonly accepted, 2-3 word term, amongst scope manufacturers, that describes the phrase "The magnification, at which the sub tensions are accurate"

Something like the terms: Field of view, Parallax setting, Max windage adjustment, Eye relief, etc...

If the answer is "ALL scopes use the highest magnification" that will work for me.
    If the answer is "I don't think there's a common term for that"... that will also work for me.
    Last edited by Scratch; 12-14-2016 at 12:29 PM.

I believe it is "Ranging power setting".
    Scratch likes this.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads