Nightforce Base

Nightforce Base

This is a discussion on Nightforce Base within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello All. I'm looking to switch from a nightforce 20moa to nightforce 40moa base. I found a good deal on a 40moa base, but it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nightforce Base

Nightforce Base

Hello All. I'm looking to switch from a nightforce 20moa to nightforce 40moa base. I found a good deal on a 40moa base, but it comes with 8-40 screws instead of the 6-48 I'm using with my current base (rem700 sps tactical 308). I'm wondering if I could take the 6-48 screws from my 20moa base and use them on the new 40moa base? Are the 8-40 bases manufactured different or do they just change the screws?

ask Nightforce

Well 8-40 screws are one size bigger than 6-48 so they use a bigger hole. I wouldn't use the 6-48 screws in that base. Plus the rear screws won't be tall enough for the 40 MOA base.
    Rob01 likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You run out of elevation and need more? If not then leave your current set up. If you do then either get your action drilled and tapped for 8-40s or get a 6-48 screw 40 MOA base.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    You run out of elevation and need more? If not then leave your current set up. If you do then either get your action drilled and tapped for 8-40s or get a 6-48 screw 40 MOA base.
    OR

If you got a really good deal, you could buy the conversion Kit sold by Brownell's to change your action screw holes to 8-40's. Comes with drill, tap, drill bushings. counterbore (which you won't need, and screws.

If you have a drill press you could just drill out the holes with tap sized drill, use the drill press chuck to turn the tap BY HAND.

Depends on how confident you are in your DIY skills.

Quote Originally Posted by blwebster View Post
    ask Nightforce
    I'm waiting to hear back from nightforce. Thanks for the input everyone. I would think the screw length would be same in the rear. I did consider having my receiver drilled for 8-40 though. It's supposed to be more stable, right?

Quote Originally Posted by slothlife View Post
    I'm waiting to hear back from nightforce. Thanks for the input everyone. I would think the screw length would be same in the rear. I did consider having my receiver drilled for 8-40 though. It's supposed to be more stable, right?
    No the screws for the 40 MOA base will be longer. If your screws for the 20 MOA base we're long enough, they'd be torqued on your bolt.

Yes 8-40 is more stable for heavier scopes.
    SatCong likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

So does the short action base come with 6x48 screws and the long actions come with 8x40's? I also tried emailing Nightforce with no response. It sounds like it from the original post but just looking to verify. Also going on a 700.

Quote Originally Posted by shootslong View Post
    So does the short action base come with 6x48 screws and the long actions come with 8x40's? I also tried emailing Nightforce with no response. It sounds like it from the original post but just looking to verify. Also going on a 700.
    No all the Remington actions come with 6-48s unless they have been opened up to the 8-40. So if you have a factory rifle in either long or short action then you need a base with 6-48 screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    No all the Remington actions come with 6-48s unless they have been opened up to the 8-40. So if you have a factory rifle in either long or short action then you need a base with 6-48 screws.
    Thank you Rob01, however, I was trying to find out about the Nightforce Pic rail, particuliarly the A115 for the Remington 700. I've seen some mention that the Nightforce rails come with 8x40 screws but I'm hoping that's just for the long action rails as I don't want to drill and tap my receiver. I've looked all over the internet and tried emailing Nightforce but it must be a trade secret or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads