Optics question

Optics question

This is a discussion on Optics question within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello all, I've recently picked up a Tikka T3 CTR in .308 Win. I have a shooting range near me with a 1,000 yard range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Optics question

Optics question

Hello all,

I've recently picked up a Tikka T3 CTR in .308 Win. I have a shooting range near me with a 1,000 yard range and I'm looking for a nice scope to get me out to 1,000 yards on my rifle. My budget limit is right around $1,600 ± $100 for a scope. I feel like that can afford me a pretty wide range of optics.

My criteria is a bit broad but the options I consider to be necessity is that the scope be FFP and have matching turrets and reticles. I'd prefer to keep the high end magnification between 12 and 20 power.

In my introductory post in the rifle section, somebody recommended the Leupold Mark 4 (4-14 or 6.5-20) as a good option. Both can be found on EuroOptic right now in the Mil/Mil configuration for well below my price range ($1,279 - $1,359) with the Mil Dot and TMR reticles.
    I've heard the Vortex PSTs compare favorably for about the same price and come with very similar features as the Mark 4s.

What are some other scopes that I should consider in my price range?

Don't limit your top end to 20 power. You can always turn down a scope that has a higher magnification.

The Burris XTRii is a favorite in that price range. Leupold makes a nice product, I just think they're over priced for what you get when compared to other scopes in the same price range.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

A used Nightforce NXS should fit the bill. but agree with NorCalFocus, Don't limit magnification to 20X
    In your price range, would recommend a Nightforce 12-42 x 56 BR available for around $1428 new, can also recommend Sightron S-III 10-50X60 and Vortex Golden Eagle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Okay, something else I guess I should have mentioned is that this rifle is not solely intended for ringing plates or punching paper. I would also like to be able to take it hog hunting (plenty of that nearby) or engage in some of the shorter range competitions (sub-500 yards) at the range. As a result I would really rather avoid a scope with a high lower-end magnification. Having a good field of vision is important to what I'm looking for. For that reason, I'm looking for lower magnification scopes (let's say a maximum of 25 power).

Thanks for y'all's replies!

Used NXS scope or check out their SHV line of scopes. NIGHTFORCE that is

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

If you are a veteran then you can get a Vortex Razor HD Gen ii in 3-18x50 around your budget through their discount program. One HELL of a good optic at that price point.

If you aren't a veteran then I don't have enough experience with optics in that specific price range.

Do you have an idea on what is the maximum low end power you're interested in?
    Last edited by davisj3537; 02-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Get a Nightforce NXS or above.
    You will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    blwebster likes this.
    2011 PSE EVO Blacked Out 57 lbs.

The Razor Gen2 is a very nice scope for the money.If weight is not a issue.NXS is also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT9494 View Post
    Okay, something else I guess I should have mentioned is that this rifle is not solely intended for ringing plates or punching paper. I would also like to be able to take it hog hunting (plenty of that nearby) or engage in some of the shorter range competitions (sub-500 yards) at the range. As a result I would really rather avoid a scope with a high lower-end magnification. Having a good field of vision is important to what I'm looking for. For that reason, I'm looking for lower magnification scopes (let's say a maximum of 25 power).!
    If you are using it for hog or bear hunting too high a low magnification on your scope can severely limit you due to limtied field of view. Check out this aspect beforehand.
    Even a 6x scope can be an issue if game is close in. I agree that it is great to have higher magnification for long shots, but I would not actively hunt with a 6x-24x scope set at anywhere but the low power for example.

When I worked for British Columbia Fish and Wildlife Branch I had a wounded grizzly appear at 10 yards away and the 6x scope was of no use at all. Am still here but think about it once in awhile.
    wigwamitus likes this.

I've got a PST 6-24x50 Mil/Mil on my CTR which I use for hunting too. Haven't shot any game with it at less than 70 yards though.
    I can shoot moa sized groups all day, every day, with pretty much any rifle. It's just a pity that I don't live in New Zealand, and that they're extinct.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads