New to scopes - Need advice on purchase - Page 2

New to scopes - Need advice on purchase

This is a discussion on New to scopes - Need advice on purchase within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by forcemajeure Thanks for all the detailed replies, everyone. It's very helpful. Would this SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope work for my needs? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    Thanks for all the detailed replies, everyone. It's very helpful. Would this SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope work for my needs? (primarily target shooting, some hunting, between 25-250m)

What scope mount under $100 would work on the Savage 10T?
    This would be my choice for $300, growing up I always used either open irons or a 3-9x cheapo hunting scope (that was always left on 3x so I could see more) when I hunted and it worked for me out to even 300yd. Your eye sight in my opinion plays a big role in how much power you need. Seems like ever 5 years or so my dad has to get a stronger scope, he is up to about a 26x now I think and barely target shoots out the 300 yards. His eye sight is getting so bad he gave up hunting awhile back. He still goes with us but never shoots.

I will say though a decent scope is a good investment for two reasons:

1) IF you decide to stay in the sport you're going to end up having to buy a nicer scope or at least up grade to one of swfa variable powered scopes and so you just wasted $300.

2) IF you decide this sport isn't for you, the resale on a nicer scope is WAY better than the resale of a $300 scope.

At the end of the day I'm in college and so I completely understand having negative money to work with when getting into this sport.

Thanks for all the detailed replies, everyone. It's very helpful. Would this SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope work for my needs? (primarily target shooting, some hunting, between 25-250m)

What scope mount under $100 would work on the Savage 10T?
    I asked the same question once on a scope for an old military surplus rifle. Went to Walmart and looked at the best scope they had on the rack at the time. It was a "Center-Point" which was made by Crossman. A company noted for making nice durable rimfire scopes.

I paid $69 or so but Walmart no linger carries them.. They are available at Amazon for the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/CenterPoint-L...58XPRZZVG0V5FA

Right up front, this is an inexpensive scope. Be sure to calibrate your expectations if you buy one. The rings were probably sourced from China for no more than a couple bucks each. Very cheap and you have to be careful you don't strip the cap screws. The lens covers are similar. After a year or two they kept coming off the scope when I shot a few rounds of 30-06. Reticle line on the one I bought (Mil-Dot) was a little thick compared to my newer and more expensive scopes but it still worked.

I bought it 10 years ago and it's still sitting on top of my 75 year old WWII surplus rifle. The scope is in my estimation a darn good scope for the money but make no mistake, it has it's limitations. The mfr's literature claims 600 yards. OK, perhaps, but for anything under 300 yards it's a pretty good "starter scope". Something to use while learning how to shoot and deciding what you really need.

My rifle/scope budget is rather low because I'm just starting out in the sport... I probably have about 2 hours of total experience on my SKS. I do see myself investing more as I continue; however, as I live behind the Iron Curtain of California, and especially in the Bay Area, I have to travel several hours to do any kind of long range shooting.

I'm very grateful for everyone's detailed suggestions and advice. You guys/gals are very helpful.

Davisj3537: Thanks, I liked the phrase because of its meaning: "overwhelming power" or "superior force." Like you, I also encountered the phrase as a contract clause in business law.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

My rifle/scope budget is rather low because I'm just starting out in the sport... I probably have about 2 hours of total experience on my SKS. I do see myself investing more as I continue; however, as I live behind the Iron Curtain of California, and especially in the Bay Area, I have to travel several hours to do any kind of long range shooting.

I'm very grateful for everyone's detailed suggestions and advice. You guys/gals are very helpful.

Davisj3537: Thanks, I liked the phrase because of its meaning: "overwhelming power" or "superior force." Like you, I also encountered the phrase as a contract clause in business law.
    What part of the Bay Area? Your likely closer to long range shooting than you think.

Again I understand being on a budget. I work my ass off to afford this hobby, lol. But is $300 all you can afford now and for the next year? Or if you save for a month can you can have $500 to spend? I'm seriously asking because I think we can make a much better recomendation if you can save a spend more.

Prime example https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-214061.../dp/B0157N4640 Its $380. Its still a cheap chinese scope, but the reviews its gotten make it a very nice bang for your buck. Now you get a variable power scope, 30mm tube for more light and travel, decent glass etc.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Cool name for sure man

Here is something to add to your decision process.
    I bought a SWFA SS 10 power scope in 2005 for $299.00 and used it, but not abused it.
    I recently sold that scope for $265.00.
    I figured I rented it for almost 12 years for about 3 dollars a year.
    A 6 power would be better to hunt with. If you are punching paper in the time off from hunting I think you may like the 10 more.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

I live in Fremont (East Bay). I've only gone shooting outside a range once, last month on federal land at BLM North Cow Mountain. We had to borrow a friend's brother-in-law's car to make it up there.

I just stated $300 as my budget because my hobbies are all unfortunately expensive and on top of that, I'm buying a house this year. I think I can justify spending more a few years down the line as I go more often, but since I've literally only shot further than 50 yds once in my life, I don't want to be that guy who comes in with nice gear but can't hit a target haha. I value all this advice though! I feel a lot more prepared now.

Sac Valley has monthly long range matches and practices open to anyone. It is a great way to learn from people in the sport. All the guys there will be more than willing to help you.

If you want to go to BLM land Tumey Hills isn't far and doesn't require 4WD to get there. Here's a map link to where it is.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Frem...37.5482697!1m0

Then buy the SWFA and save up for the next year.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

I would say buy a higher powered scope now and then buy a 3x9x40 come hunting season. The 6x in theory will take you to 600 yards but by 200 yards your going to start having hard time seeing those little holes in that paper.

I'm buying a scope for a Savage 10T. I mainly target shoot but anticipate hunting in the future. Most likely all shooting will be done 50-500 yds. My budget is $200-300. What's the best fixed or variable scope I can get? Thanks!
    Athlon Talos, I have one on my Savage Mark II, nice value for less than $300.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads