New to scopes - Need advice on purchase

This is a discussion on New to scopes - Need advice on purchase within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm buying a scope for a Savage 10T. I mainly target shoot but anticipate hunting in the future. Most likely all shooting will be done ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm buying a scope for a Savage 10T. I mainly target shoot but anticipate hunting in the future. Most likely all shooting will be done 50-500 yds. My budget is $200-300. What's the best fixed or variable scope I can get? Thanks!

The best scope in that price range is the SWFA SS fixed power. Unless your going to seriously up your budget the choices aren't going to open up.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

I really like the SWFA SS fixed power, but my concern is that the scope is fixed at 10x and I anticipate the majority of my shooting will be done around 50-200 yds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If you want a variable power scope at a decent cost, then look at some of the other SWFA scopes. They are in fact a good choice to start out with.
    The one thing that you will discover however, is people on this forum have gone this way to begin their shooting passion too, and they generally
    will advise you to go with a higher end scope that costs a lot more, where you will obtain quality that will last you through and beyond your early
    learning curve...hence the pay once and cry once phrase is used.

I am guilty too, in that I spent a load of dollars buying low cost scopes over the years that failed me time and again. It was not until I threw in the
    towel and bought higher end scopes that I actually believed what those people had understood for so long. I still do not go overboard as I am mostly a hunter, but all my scopes now are good ones.

Swfa has a fixed 6 power scope for 299

Quote Originally Posted by blwebster View Post
    If you want a variable power scope at a decent cost, then look at some of the other SWFA scopes. They are in fact a good choice to start out with.
    The one thing that you will discover however, is people on this forum have gone this way to begin their shooting passion too, and they generally
    will advise you to go with a higher end scope that costs a lot more, where you will obtain quality that will last you through and beyond your early
    learning curve...hence the pay once and cry once phrase is used.

I am guilty too, in that I spent a load of dollars buying low cost scopes over the years that failed me time and again. It was not until I threw in the
    towel and bought higher end scopes that I actually believed what those people had understood for so long. I still do not go overboard as I am mostly a hunter, but all my scopes now are good ones.
    When you think about it, buying a scope should be approached like any other purchase. You don't go out and buy a riding mower for a 1,000 sq ft lawn but you do buy the best mower that will do the job.

If you go out to buy a pickup truck you first decide what you want to haul or tow with it. Some people will go out and buy the biggest diesel powered pickup truck that's capable of towing a huge 5th wheel trailer with three axles. They then use it to haul their golf clubs, a few bags of mulch, and don't even own a trailer of any size. Why? Haven't figured it out exactly but I'm leaning toward the "coolness factor".

With a scope purchase, take the time to decide what it will be used for during it's life. Then decide which scope will meet those needs that's within your means. I see it all the time where people buy scopes that certainly would be good performers at long ranges yet they NEVER shoot beyond the limits of their club range which is usually 300-600 yards (with exceptions of course). Buy the best scope that fits the task without buying performance you'll never use.

Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    I really like the SWFA SS fixed power, but my concern is that the scope is fixed at 10x and I anticipate the majority of my shooting will be done around 50-200 yds.
    Yeah your right that is a limit. But that's what your going to run into in your budget. The more you spend the less you give up.

Sure you can get a 4-20ish variable power scope in your budget. But it's not going to have very good glass, the tracking won't be right, and the scopes reticle won't be useful for target shooting, it likely won't have enough travel in the turrets to get you dialed up for distance. The fixed power SWFA, gives you all that but the variable power. So you make the trade off.

I did the $200 scope for a year. Found out real quick it didn't fit my needs. Then I got a $400 scope (on sale for $300) it was better but still lacked. I finally got a $800 scope that does 90% of what I want. If I had bought the best scope I could afford the first time, I would have saved money.

If all you can afford right now is $300, fine. By the SWFA, then put away money every week and save up for the scope you really want. It may take you a year and that's okay. Use what you got in the meantime and practice shooting.

Conversely, if you can double your budget in 30 days or triple it in 60 by saving and waiting, don't you think waiting to shoot the gun would be worth it? Think of how much your options would open up if you got your budget up to $800-$1000.
    Last edited by NorCalFocus; 02-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Thanks for all the detailed replies, everyone. It's very helpful. Would this SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope work for my needs? (primarily target shooting, some hunting, between 25-250m)

What scope mount under $100 would work on the Savage 10T?

I find your name and budget interesting, purely because I only ever see references to force majeure in oil and gas law, which is incredibly lucrative. I'm sure it is a coincidence.

As for your question, it's gonna be really hard to find a "do all" scope in that budget without making some major compromises. Maybe you're good with making those compromises and that's fine, but you'll find that very few of us are. We're into shooting long range which is incredibly expensive and not friendly to compromises. Because of this, very few of us have experience with scopes in that price range to recommend. Hope that makes sense. Not trying to pee in your cereal or anything.

I'm sure you'll get advice for the base. That's a perfectly reasonable budget. I just don't have savage experience to offer.

EGW base and Burris rings should fit the bill.

I can hunt with 6 power, but I never shoot targets that low.

-Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads