Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money? - Page 2

Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

This is a discussion on Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; If it was me paying a bit over a grand, I'd wait for the Vortex PST Gen II, or if buying now... the Nightforce SHV ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

If it was me paying a bit over a grand, I'd wait for the Vortex PST Gen II, or if buying now... the Nightforce SHV F1 FFP.

If you're stuck at $600-$700 (stuck, as in three or more months of waiting won't help your money situation), I'd get the SWFA 3-15x42 (FFP model, Mil-Quad) if buying new.

If buying USED at $700 (shop around for transferable warranties). I'd get a either a Vortex PST or a Burris XTR.

I'd seriously consider the 2-10 or 3-15 magnification range. Magnifications above that begin to dedicate the rifle towards paper-punching rather than practical field use. And I don't think they're as much fun. Just IMO.
    Confidence - Is to live, work, love and perform without any regard, calculation, comparison or consideration of your self-worth.

Read the comments on the review for the Weaver. Two guys having the same issue.

OP, check these out

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628679725 (priced too high and will be relisted)
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/629900896
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Viper...AAAOSw2gxYwK0H
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Viper...cAAOSw4CFYyEKM

I'd be checking the model numbers to make sure they are first focal plane, but I know I saw one that was FFP for 800. There are more, but these are just a few of the first ones that I came across.

Remember, Vortex has the unconditional warranty. Drop your scope out of a tree? Buy one used that is fukked up? They replace/repair it for free. It's very unlikely I'll ever buy from another company, but that's just me.
    Last edited by davisj3537; 03-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Ballistic tables are my morning coffeeHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber-45 View Post
    What's the best scope in your opinion to perch on top of my RPR for around 600-700?

Thanks in advance.

:grin:
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
    Best scope for the money is a Nightforce...keep saving.
    I didn't know they have 6-700$ NF scopes, I want one

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Don't pass on a scope because its a second focal plane until you've tried a first focal plane. I've shot sfp optics for years and finally decided to try a ffp since everyone was telling me how much better they are. Bought a Sig Optics Tango4 6-24x50 and mounted it on my rifle. I love the glass but got really frustrated after I sighted it in and there was a black shadow (not an eye relief issue) on the edge of the image I adjusted it away from. It goes away when you dial up the zoom but then it becomes apparent that the reticle is off center which drives me nuts. I did some looking into if I got a defective optic but found that to be a characteristic of ffp optics. Doesn't affect the way it shoots but it was annoying enough that I pulled it off and put the vortex sfp back on. Most people like ffp over sfp but that is my opinion. Do with it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Godell50 View Post
    Don't pass on a scope because its a second focal plane until you've tried a first focal plane. I've shot sfp optics for years and finally decided to try a ffp since everyone was telling me how much better they are. Bought a Sig Optics Tango4 6-24x50 and mounted it on my rifle. I love the glass but got really frustrated after I sighted it in and there was a black shadow (not an eye relief issue) on the edge of the image I adjusted it away from. It goes away when you dial up the zoom but then it becomes apparent that the reticle is off center which drives me nuts. I did some looking into if I got a defective optic but found that to be a characteristic of ffp optics. Doesn't affect the way it shoots but it was annoying enough that I pulled it off and put the vortex sfp back on. Most people like ffp over sfp but that is my opinion. Do with it what you will.
    That effect is called tunneling. No it's not a characteristic of all FFP scopes. My Viper HSLR doesn't do it.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

That's good to know. Thanks. Do you happen to know what causes it?

Quote Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
    Best scope for the money is a Nightforce...keep saving.
    Although your reply is opinionated, which you have the right to express. I would say that it is somewhat false.. many people who jumped on the nightforce train awhile back jumped off and got on the vortex train when they came out with the razor gen 2.. A lot of scopes are good and even some of the best scopes still come out of the box with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Godell50 View Post
    That's good to know. Thanks. Do you happen to know what causes it?
    The actual cause I'm not sure of.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

I knew that when I posted, my comment was opinionated, as most comments on this board are. At one time I had 2 NF and a vortex because I know a few guys that shoot with and like the vortex. I also realize it may have been the luck of the draw on the vortex, but a really great guarantee doesn't help if/when it fails in the field. I don't consider myself a brand snob because I also shoot with a Burris , a Leopold, a Weaver, and now 3 NF, because ( for me...and this is my opinion, ) it's the best scope for the money.

BTW, I recently purchase an Athlon, returned the first one, because of a defect. It's a decent scope for the money, but I'll leave it on a rimfire.

I apologize if I ruffled any feathers, that wasn't the intent.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

Best scope for the money: Tangent Theta.

Reason: it is the last scope you will ever buy.

You can play around with cheaper, subpar scopes and easily spend enough to buy a TT...and the whole time be frustrated or not even know what you are missing. Or you can buy the TT one time and be done.

BTW--Godell50. The TT is a FFP and does not do that. Don't judge all FFP scopes based on the one sub par one you have experience with. That is like saying, "I wouldn't use a semi auto pistol over a revolver because I tried a hi-point and it didn't work right".
    Rhyno430 likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads