Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money? - Page 3

Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

This is a discussion on Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I just purchased a Burris XTR II 5-25 x 50 FFP scope and Burris extreme rings thru Amazon. I weighed all the advice and decided ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

I just purchased a Burris XTR II 5-25 x 50 FFP scope and Burris extreme rings thru Amazon.

I weighed all the advice and decided I wasn't putting a $2800 scope on a $1200 rifle. The Optics Nazi's in here are a hoot.

If I were to trade up to a Bergarra as I plan then it would be a worthy match as I would ship the RPR with the XTR included.

Here in CT. I will seldom shoot further than 200yds. There is one range I know of with 600 but private and no publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber-45 View Post
    I just purchased a Burris XTR II 5-25 x 50 FFP scope and Burris extreme rings thru Amazon.

I weighed all the advice and decided I wasn't putting a $2800 scope on a $1200 rifle. The Optics Nazi's in here are a hoot.

If I were to trade up to a Bergarra as I plan then it would be a worthy match as I would ship the RPR with the XTR included.

Here in CT. I will seldom shoot further than 200yds. There is one range I know of with 600 but private and no publicity.
    I remember when you had to do something like kill or support the killing of 6 million Jews to be considered a Nazi.

Now all you have to do is have a different opinion.

No grandma you don't understand, you may have escaped Hitler and the third Reich, but someone's opinion differed then mine today, have some sympathy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joseph "Rhyno"

Solid purchase brother. You're going to have a blast shooting that rifle. The xtr ii is great. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be so GD popular.
    Ballistic tables are my morning coffeeHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I think higher-end-of-brand offerings ($900-$1200) from SWFA SS (5-20HD), Bushnell (LRSi), Vortex (PST Gen II) and Burris (XTRII) are not going to disappoint. I think scope makers "get it", at looong last. The educated consumer is done messing around.
    Second-tier offerings from Nightforce (SHV F1) look really good, I wouldn't hesitate on a good deal. All of these brands have good to excellent features. And are clear and rugged for their segment of the market.

First Focal Plane (I like both SFP and FFP for different reasons), is probably the way to go. I wouldn't start someone out on SFP. I had a friend who refused to be educated on the topic. He thought I was making life too complicated. He just wanted to pull the trigger. SFP is the equivalent of driving stick in the automotive world. You gotta know what you're doing. There's both a lot of commonly taught and home-brew methods out there for making SFP extremely fast and effective in a tactical environment.

The biggest argument IMO for FFP is that it is optically easier for the manufacturer to make it immune from POI shift. A mid-range FFP scope is potentially more consistent than a SFP scope costing more.

QUESTION:

Are you going to mostly shoot this rifle in the prone or bench position at static targets between 100 and 800 yards?

If so, I would HIGHLY recommend dumping all this money into a fixed medium power scope. You want the money to go towards consistent operation of the adjusters, and high optical quality. Seeing what you are shooting at, and operating a scope that is 100% responsive to your input is a NECESSITY. Particularly for beginners. You don't want to be fighting your equipment.

A system of simple, high quality equipment that "just works" is a joy, and will make you smile.

For example, I think the IOR Fixed 16x scope or even the fixed 10x scope are worth a close look. Very rugged. Fewer moving parts. Also, the FOV on these scopes is HUGE relative to just about every other manufacturer at 16x and 10x power. If you can wait and save up, a fully outfitted USO fixed 10x is as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Pay. Serious. Money. For your mounting system and (if required) an in-lb torque wrench. Pay. The money.
    Confidence - Is to live, work, love and perform without any regard, calculation, comparison or consideration of your self-worth.

The swfa fixed 10 which is/was the super sniper scope is a great value for the money. If I was limited by cash and needed a cheap scope that's the route id go. Very simple, lots and lots of great reviews and it's built like a tank! It's been used many many times on 800+yd shots. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Godell50 View Post
    That's good to know. Thanks. Do you happen to know what causes it?
    gearing in the zoom assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Godell50 View Post
    That's good to know. Thanks. Do you happen to know what causes it?
    Here's a quote from Riflescope Fundamentals » OpticsThoughts
    Tunnel effect occurs when one of the optical systems inside the scope has field of view wider than the limiting aperture in front of it. The most common occurrence of tunnel effect is due to the relay system seeing the inside of the metal tube that houses the erector lenses. On variable scopes, it is manifested by tunnel vision appearing at lower magnifications. It is not uncommon for a scope to be completely free of tunnel vision for the upper 70% of its magnification range, only to have the effect become progressively worse in the lower 30%. If you notice the black ring around the image become progressively thicker as you dial magnification down, then the relay system is at fault.

The strength of the tunnel effect is determined by the optical design of the riflescope and by how you perceive it. That is one of the reasons you have to get your hands on the scope and look through it. There is nothing in the specifications or anywhere in the accompanying documentation that will tell whether this model has tunnel vision and, if yes, its severity.

Godell50 likes this.

If you are active military, a veteran, a copper, or a hoser, both Vortex and Burris offer great discount programs. Google it.
    BTW, I own the Leupold scope you're looking at and love it. Second Focal Plane has its disadvantages but overall I love that scope. I also have have a few Vortex scopes to include a PST and HS LR, both FFP, and they're nice.
    Last edited by ltharley; 03-19-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltharley View Post
    If you are active military, a veteran, a copper, or a hoser, both Vortex and Burris offer great discount programs. Google it.
    BTW, I own the Leupold scope you're looking at and love it. Second Focal Plane has its disadvantages but overall I love that scope. I also have have a few Vortex scopes to include a PST and HS LR, both FFP, and they're nice.
    I see Burris does offer Fireman discounts, but I don't see that Vortex does. How reliable is your source on this? Curious as my uncle is a hoser.
    Ballistic tables are my morning coffeeHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    I see Burris does offer Fireman discounts, but I don't see that Vortex does. How reliable is your source on this? Curious as my uncle is a hoser.
    My bad. It appears that Vortex does not offer the discount to Firefighters. It might be worth contacting Vortex direct just to be sure. Here is the contact for the discount.
    Travis Boran
    Consumer Sales | Vortex Optics
    2120 W Greenview Dr.
    Middleton, WI 53562
    Toll Free: 800.426.0048 Ext. 402
    Direct: 608.662.4853
    tboran@vortexoptics.com
    Travis is super knowledgeable and helpful.
    Dennis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads