Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

This is a discussion on Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money? within the Optics forums, part of the Sniping Related category; What's the best scope in your opinion to perch on top of my RPR for around 600-700? Thanks in advance. :grin:...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle - What's the best scope for the money?

What's the best scope in your opinion to perch on top of my RPR for around 600-700?

Thanks in advance.

:grin:
    Last edited by Kimber-45; 03-13-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Save your money and get a better scope. You got a rifle worth $1200. Why put a scope not of the same quality on it?

$500-$600 doesn't buy you a quality target scope. You can get a ok to decent hunting scope. The lowest scope I'd go is the SWFA 3-15 FFP at about $700. But I'd still recommend saving more for a better scope.
    Tape and SatCong like this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

^^ agree.. it may be hard to wait longer and save up some more but you will be glad when you do. It makes seeing targets and spotting shots so much easier when you have a quality scope with good glass in it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Save your money and get a better scope. You got a rifle worth $1200. Why put a scope not of the same quality on it?

$500-$600 doesn't buy you a quality target scope. You can get a ok to decent hunting scope. The lowest scope I'd go is the SWFA 3-15 FFP at about $700. But I'd still recommend saving more for a better scope.
    Took your advice and now I'm looking at a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x 50.
    Weigh in on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber-45 View Post
    Took your advice and now I'm looking at a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x 50.
    Weigh in on that.
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but no. It's a plain reticle and second focal plane. Mag is a little low as well.

Quality target scopes don't get cheaper than 1000-1200 IMO. The two scopes dominating that are the Burris XTRii and the Vortex Viper PST Gen i or ii. Since the warranty on these scopes is legendary then buying used is a great option.

If it just isn't in the budget and you can't wait then I'd buy a cheapy walmart scope and shoot at 100yds until you can purchase something mentioned above. What you learn about handloading, positioning, trigger and breathing control at 100yds during this time will build the foundation for 1000yds and beyond.
    Ballistic tables are my morning coffeeHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but no. It's a plain reticle and second focal plane. Mag is a little low as well.

Quality target scopes don't get cheaper than 1000-1200 IMO. The two scopes dominating that are the Burris XTRii and the Vortex Viper PST Gen i or ii. Since the warranty on these scopes is legendary then buying used is a great option.

If it just isn't in the budget and you can't wait then I'd buy a cheapy walmart scope and shoot at 100yds until you can purchase something mentioned above. What you learn about handloading, positioning, trigger and breathing control at 100yds during this time will build the foundation for 1000yds and beyond.
    I've looked at the Vortex Viper PST but they are around 900. I was doubting the quality due to the "made in Phillipines" factor but I will look further and check out the Burris as well.
    I've been shooting a CZ 527 Kevlar and a Noveske AR both in 5.56 out to 200yds. with good results and see ammo makes a world of difference.
    I hand load my 300 AAC stuff and plan to get into .308 reloading for this RPR I am setting up now.
    I have to add the Leupold Mark 4 was a mil. reticle.
    Last edited by Kimber-45; 03-14-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber-45 View Post
    I've looked at the Vortex Viper PST but they are around 900. I was doubting the quality due to the "made in Phillipines" factor but I will look further and check out the Burris as well.
    I've been shooting a CZ 527 Kevlar and a Noveske AR both in 5.56 out to 200yds. with good results and see ammo makes a world of difference.
    I hand load my 300 AAC stuff and plan to get into .308 reloading for this RPR I am setting up now.
    I have to add the Leupold Mark 4 was a mil. reticle.
    Good to hear you're a reloader. I overlooked the mil reticle, but man I sure wouldn't buy a second focal plane.

Having said that, just my opinion brother. You do what is best for you.
    Ballistic tables are my morning coffeeHidden Content

I own 4 Vortex scopes myself, my son just put a PST on his RPR. My buddy has 5 Vortex scopes. My parents have about 6 between them. None of us have had issues due to quality. My dad and I both had scopes break on us due to us. We just sent them in and had them fixed or replaced.

Now scopes for what you want in about that price range...

SWFA 3-15x44 HD FFP. $700
    Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24x50 FFP $800
    Vortex Viper PST Gen I 6-24x50 FFP $900
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50 FFP $1200
    Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP $1200 (and wait time. They're still not out yet)

Anyone one of those will serve you well until you decide you want or need better. Look all of them up and if you have questions let's go from there.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Best scope for the money is a Nightforce...keep saving.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

USAF 1966-1970, SEA 69-70

tbs
    Right in you're price range
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-sup...mdr-matte.html

Front focal, locking turrets great price

Read review here:
    Weaver Tactical 3-15x50mm - Sniper Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads