Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

10th Official Postal Match - Revenge of the Rhino

43K views 69 replies 23 participants last post by  scotts1w 
#1 ·
It is time again for another official Sniper Central postal match!! We had some good fun with the last one testing pure shooting skill, and now, if you recall from Postal #1, there are some pretty upset Rhinos that we blasted... well, they are out for their revenge! This time, they caught us by surprise, are charging big time, and we have to make a run for it, and then shoot with our heart and muscles pounding... Good luck!!

The Prize: Your choice of a TacOps cheek piece, SC Shirt, SC Logbook or SC Ballistic card of your choice.

The Target: http://www.snipercentral.com/targets/postal1.pdf
Must be printed on a 8.5x11" piece of paper.

Firearm Restriction: Any rifle, .30 Cal or less, any optic 10x or less, no slings are permitted. If you have a variable power scope of greater than 10x, you may use it but the power must be set at 10x or less.

Course of Fire: The target is to be placed at 100 yards (or meters). The course of fire consists of shooting 5 rounds from the prone unsupported position. No slings, no bipods, no sand bags or rests of any kind. No other rifle support is permitted beyond your own two hands/arms. One round is to be fired at each charging rhino target. But there is a catch. You must do 10, military standard pushups before each fired round, and you only have 5 total minutes to do the pushups and fire the rounds.

Scoring: Each hit in the inner red dot is a bullseye worth 15 points. The next ring is 10 points and the final larger ring is 5 points. In the event of a tie, the smallest overall group will determine the winner, measuring the distance from each shot to center of the bullseye and adding the sum.

Deadline: All targets are to be post marked on or before June 21st, 2010. Place them in the envelope and send to:

Sniper Central
Postal Match #10
PO Box 7127
Missoula, MT 59807

All shooters from all countries are welcome.

Of course, this is purely based on the honor system. You may shoot as many targets as you would like, but please only send in your best target.

Enjoy!!

MEL

See less See more
#5 ·
Postal match

Hi Mel

Great concept and very Sniper Central in spirit. Thanks for organising. Some points arising:

1. While awaiting my tactical weapon, may I deploy my No.4 Mk 1 without optics? (I thrive on heroic failure and it will give my shooting mates a good laugh to watch the attempt);

2. Request extension of deadline beyond 7 June (haven't done push ups since... since...; will need to get into training, arrange medivac chopper, funeral plan etc.).

SITREP: Just attempted 10 experimental push ups on living room floor; dog extremely concerned; request revised extension of deadline to beyond 7 December :oops:

If no extension possible will attempt this on May 30 provided the Club allow (we have a sanctioned match that day, but five minutes isn't long to hold them up!) Will keep you posted - literally!

Thanks again for the challenge

Davy

#6 ·
Re: Postal match

Davy said:
1. While awaiting my tactical weapon, may I deploy my No.4 Mk 1 without optics?
You may certainly employ your SMLE in the match. It will of course be fairly challenging to do so, but not at all against the rules.

As we were brainstorming, I had considered using my AR-15 competition rifle (irons only), but then we decided on this target, so I will be using optics.

Have fun! We'll get back to you on the date extension.

-Nate

#7 ·
Re: Postal match

natdscott said:
As we were brainstorming, I had considered using my AR-15 competition rifle (irons only), but then we decided on this target, so I will be using optics.
Maybe one of the reduced range targets, like this one I made to practice qualitications for work, at reduced range. Say 5 shots each target although one shot per target would be easier for scoring, possibly 2 shots and make the head 10 points instead of 5 points, specify one to the torso one to the head. One target offhand, one target kneeling, one target sitting, one target prone and the last one any position to include supported with a time limit for each, round and possibly involving a mag change or two.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr37 ... edIzzy.jpg

Or a regular qualification 100 yard qualification target. I say 100 yards as they are more accessable.

If you want to go out further a 300 yard bullseye with the black printed on an 8X11 sheet of paper. I have an SP1 with a lot of rounds though it so I don't know how competative I would be, which brings me to your next point.

natdscott said:
Have fun! We'll get back to you on the date extension.
How about an extention? I don't get back from Iraq until June 12, so once again, I won't be able to participate under the current deadline of June 7. It looks like fun whether I can play or not.

#8 ·
Using iron sights on the Rhinos

Thanks Nate for the green light on the Lee Enfield. 'Challenging' will be the operative word. I figure if I can just get some rounds on to the paper, a rhino or two might get hit by accident! That'll teach them to bunch up....

The push ups will be another matter. 10 push ups then fire one round. No chance we could fire 10 rounds and then do 1 push up? Guess not.

Anyway, what a good incentive to get fit, learn more about my rifle, and practice those necessary marksmanship skills. Now to check that 100 yard zero and adjust the peep sight for five minutes of rhino.

Regards

David

#9 ·
Okay, I have extended the deadline until June 21st to help everyone find time to participate!

shane4639,
That target looks good, if you can send it to me in pdf format I will use it in a future event, for this one we'll keep the rhinos to prevent confusion.

MEL

#10 ·
Sounds ... huff...huff...huff ... like ... huff...huff...huff ... fun!

This is the competition I desperately need and least want! I think I'll try the course of fire 3 times/week until time to send in a target.

Will anybody mind if my red rings are black? I've got a monochrome printer ... would like to save some money, but not get an unfair advantage.

#11 ·
Mel,

Thanks for the deadline extention. I pm'd you a link to pdf version of the reduced Izzy target. I am not a pdf wizard so let me know if it doesn't work. If not I will figure something out.

Shane

#13 ·
Extension on match date

Mel wrote: Okay, I have extended the deadline until June 21st to help everyone find time to participate!

Thanks Mel! The match concept is, literally, good healthy fun, and this extension minimises the need for a stretcher party to haul me off the range. :D

#16 ·
R788 said:
Rhinos: 1
Shooter: 0
Advil: Still counting

Glad for the extension ... hope to try again in a few days!
At least you've got to the firing line. As for me:

Required pushups: 50
Managed pushups: 30 (but getting there :oops:)

Seriously unfit and planning to use a Lee Enfield No.4! The Rhinos must be feeling pretty confident. So I'm 'glad for the extension' too; in fact, here's a picture of it. :wink:

#17 ·
This is a good one!! I tried it the other day after doing lots of practice pushups for a week or so. The toughest part is holding on target un supported. I made two in the 10 ring and one in the 5 and two misses. We got some funny looks and a few questions at the range about doing pushups!!! I thought it was kinda funny. Thanks Mele for the extension, this is one (if my arms hold out) thats fun to shoot over and over!!!

#19 ·
I managed only 30 push-ups my first time out also. Meant to go out again yesterday, but it was raining.

I don't know how you'll see the rings with open sights. Off of my printer, I can't see those rings with a 4x32 scope. I think I'll switch rifles so I can set my scope on 10x.

#20 ·
Well the push-ups weren't a problem but I'm terrible at shooting prone unsupported.... :( I can hit a sheet of paper, maybe half a sheet (if I'm lucky) but that's the smallest area I can consistently hit. Probably didn't help that I was using a .17hmr though.. hmm..

Well I now know what I need to practice. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to give it another try this weekend.

-Sparrow

#21 ·
but I'm terrible at shooting prone unsupported
I'm learning the same thing. Though for me, the push-ups are a problem.

Just in from tonight's attempt (yeah, I finally live in the country so can get 100 yards on my own ground) in which I got 42 push-ups. Still no rhinos. But at least put a couple on the paper.

I made two in the 10 ring and one in the 5 and two misses.
Awesome!

If there's one theme through all of Mel's matches, it seems to be that perfect shooting with a perfect rifle off a perfect bench at a perfectly measured range isn't enough.

The personal theme is what rotten shape I'm in! LOL

#22 ·
R788 said:
If there's one theme through all of Mel's matches, it seems to be that perfect shooting with a perfect rifle off a perfect bench at a perfectly measured range isn't enough.
Indeed, that is exactly NOT what we are all about. And my view is that you shouldn't be either... :lol: Have fun!

-Nate

#23 ·
No disrespect intended, Nate!

This is *Sniper* Central, not *Benchrest* central!

I've never been in combat, but I don't imagine most real sniper situations involve opponents who stand very nicely at the 100 yard marker (or 1000 yard marker) right in front of your bench.

Though good equipment is good, it doesn't make a sniper -- or a marksman.

I can shoot some groups off of sandbags that, given my equipment budget, are not that shabby. But if I ever have to take a defensive shot or if I simply get some time for deer hunting again, I'd better be able to take shots that are not at precisely 100 yards and do not involve sandbags!

The SC contests all seem to emphasize that benchrest perfection is not enough!

#25 ·
R788 said:
I managed only 30 push-ups my first time out also. Meant to go out again yesterday, but it was raining.

I don't know how you'll see the rings with open sights. Off of my printer, I can't see those rings with a 4x32 scope. I think I'll switch rifles so I can set my scope on 10x.
Thanks for the input on the push ups. I managed 45 the other night, only to find that I couldn't manage 10 the next day! :lol: The deadline is fast approaching but I'll keep at it. In the long run, the incentive to attain and maintain a better standard of fitness will, for me, be the greatest and lasting benefit of this great little competition.

Regarding the sights on the Lee Enfield No4: the foresight is a post but the rear is an adjustable peep sight. It is a big advantage over the No1 Mk111 Lee Enfield which is a V rear sight and unquestionbly more difficult to use, particularly with aging eyesight! Disturbing to think that Australian soldiers were still using that battle-proven but outdated weapon in the Korean War! Even with the peep sight, however, I doubt I'll see the Rhinos at all, so I'll aim for the corners and the centre. If that fails, I will have to go in with the bayonet (provided I can still get to my feet by then) :lol:

As for prone shooting, it certainly pays to align one's body so the rifle points naturally and comfortably into the target. The other week while aiming at a head and shoulders size target at 300 yards, I found myself making that primary alignment with my arms - basically compensating for a bad body position and inflicting the unncessary task of ensuring the rifle stayed generally on target; a momentary relaxation of the hold and the rifle drifted off aim. Common sense of course, but I find I always need to remind myself to aim with the whole body not just the rifle and my aching arms! :)

Regards

Davy

#26 ·
As for prone shooting, it certainly pays to align one's body so the rifle points naturally and comfortably into the target.
I was reading about that this week. I never was taught all that much on prone shooting ... but trying to follow that made some improvement in my results.

Obviously I need more practice, but some drill on fundamentals will help too.

At least this is getting me shooting & doing push-ups. I ought to keep it up all summer!

I managed 45 the other night, only to find that I couldn't manage 10 the next day!
Yeah, I take a day or 2 off between workouts of a given muscle group. I'm trying to do squats the days I don't do push-ups to burn some fat and get back a little cardio. When I started on Combat Conditioning a few years ago it helped. Trying to start again. Except that for now the push-ups are military style.
http://mattfurey.com/conditioning_book. ... d=23dacf99

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.