Savage 10 FCP-K

This is a discussion on Savage 10 FCP-K within the Product Review Requests forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I know theres a short description of the 10 fp. The 10 FCP-K with accustock and Muzzle Break is a whole different beast. I think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 FCP-K

Savage 10 FCP-K

I know theres a short description of the 10 fp. The 10 FCP-K with accustock and Muzzle Break is a whole different beast. I think a review would be real cool to see, seeing it looks like a top notch rifle at a good price.

I'm picking up a Model 10FCP-K, or starting the paperwork this Wednesday. For the money, this looks to be the best you can get. I'm really excited since this will be my first serious long range setup.

10FCP-K thoughts

I have recently purchased a Savage .308 10FCP-K with an Elite 4200 6-24 x 50mm Bushnell scope attached on a one piece DedNutz Game Reaper mount and Harris bipod. After mounting the scope all I had to do to laser sight it in at 25 yds was 3 clicks windage and 5 clicks elevation, to which I added 2-3 more clicks on paper at 100yds. At the range, during the break-in session, it grouped under .5 MOA at 100YDS with Fiocchi Exacta 168gr amo. Federal Premium Gold Medal 168gr came in second with under 1 MOA groups. I used Fiocchi, Federal Premium Gold Medal, Black Hills, and Prvi Partizan ammo, all in 168gr. The other two performed over 1 MOA groups no matter what I tried. I shot the rifle using first the bipod and then a rest. With scope it weighs in at almost 10lbs.

The action is as smooth as it can get on a factory rifle, the accutrigger will pleasantly surprise you with its smooth and crisp performance. Everything else it feels right once you touch the rifle. Not much felt recoil. I will let you know how it performed in the field after November hunt.

I paid $849 from Harris Sports on gunsamerica.com website and I consider it money well spent as I almost plucked down $4000 for a custom made rifle. The whole rig came in at around $1700. Hope this helps. To recap:

Savage .308 10FCP-K - $849 + $30 shipping +$25 FFL fee

DZ-MT-SVG-AR-SA30-36200 DNZ Dednutz Savage All Round Receiver Short Action 30mm Scope Tube $64.99

BU-RS-426245T Bushnell Elite 4200 Series 6-24 x 50mm Tactical Rifle Scope 426245T $679

Harris S-LM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 9" to 13" Black $86.99

and then Booom!

I have one and if you get one you will not be dissapointed. The brake takes alot of the recoil away and combined with the recoil pad it's a very soft shooter. The stock is rock solid but basic looking, on mine the wedge had a hairline crack in it, it still held torque just fine but I called savage anyway. Before I could finish telling them about it they started getting my name & address & overnighted me another one, & offered to send me all the action screws or take a look at the rifle in house! As for how it shoots I usually shoot 10 round or larger groups or the 1" dots etc. for practice. So I don't have any incredible numbers to share but for what I'm capable of I'm happy. I have shot some <.500 3 round groups off a pod with a bag & I usually stay around .750 without the rear bag & the right load. I've shot 150's to 180's in it and it eats them all without problem. The only things I didn't like was the accutrigger blade, and the effort required to work the bolt. Which I fixed both of those almost immediately. Sorry this is so long but I can say if you buy one you will be happy, it has lots of expensive upgrades from the factory (bedded, floated, heavy barrel, fluted, muzzle brake, recoil pad) for well under $1k. Nothing else comes with all that for the price tag. Here's a pic, I definitely have to work on my breathing & lots of other things. But it should be clear the screw ups were me and not the rifle ( I have plenty of excuses for why I pulled them but I'll save them for now lmao!). Good Luck

I purchased a Savage 10-FLCP-K in .308 after lots of research and stumbling across a review of the rifle by a fellow SC member on another forum. He also happened to be a dealer and have one in stock.

I was looking for a heavy barrel rifle that would shoot well out of the box, come in left hand, not require immediate stock/trigger work and have a price tag under $800. The 10-FCP-K fit the bill without question. This rifle is also my first center fire rifle and will be serving as a platform to get into long distance shooting.

The optics budget was limited so I settled on a Millett TRS-1 as sugested by the dealer. The rifle also got a harris 6-9" bipod and a BALS MK-2 stock pack.

I've got about 140 rounds down the tube and I'm quite impressed with the gun. I don't really have a basis for comparison but having only just started load development, it has printed several good groups. I hope to tighten things up as I find a good load and get more trigger time.

I've reached out as far as 725yards with this gun with no problem putting rounds on a 29X29" steel plate.

As mentioned above, the rifle is rather plain looking. It gets right to the point and it very easy to shoot with the muzzle break and soft recoil pad. Cheek weld it not a problem with the MK-2, XTR rings and 50mm objective. I believe the accu-trigger is set at 2.5lbs from the factory as is crisp enough for this guy.

Here are some 4 shot groups while testing loads (5 loads, 20 cases, it just worked out). IMR 4064 and 168 GR Amax in once fired federal brass, neck sized with a lee collet die. There appears to be some promise if I do my part.

Can someone show me what the bolt release looks like?. I understand it is under the trigger guard now..I want to make sure my DBM wil work or needs some mods.. thanks

Jeff

Can someone please tell me their thoughts on the muzzle break on this rifle. I'm comparing it to the Mod 10 FP and wondering if the extra features are beneficial and why?
    Cheers

Just got my 10-FLCP-K in .308 and put 60 rounds of cheap Federal 150SP's thru it for sightin and some breakin. Scope is the Wotac 4-14X50. Bought a box of 308W Hornady 168 Match BTHP and came up this grouping. Getting my reloading equip together. Bought a UsedRock Chucker, that looks like it was never used..a set of Redding Competiton Bushing Neck Sizing Dies, all off Ebay for great price. Here are some shots of the gun and groupings. Now that I know it shoots good I'm waiting to get some reloads together before I hit the range again.

As for the bolt release you can see it right infront of the trigger guard..pull back trigger hold and push back release..let go of trigger and release bolt...reverse to insert

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Loz223
    Can someone please tell me their thoughts on the muzzle break on this rifle. I'm comparing it to the Mod 10 FP and wondering if the extra features are beneficial and why?
    Cheers
    The muzzle break helps disperse a lot of the gasses to help reduce the amount of recoil, it helps a lot and simply looks bad ass too. there aren't many other features to it but if you have a choice go with the muzzle break, the only downside i see to it is its twice as loud than the 10 fp. Overall the 10 Fcp-k is probably one of the best out of the box guns you can buy.

My Rig:
    Savage 10 FCP-K (.308 Win)
    Weaver 3-12x 40 scope, rings and mount
    Harrison Bipod
    175gn sierra matchking bthp handload
    42.5gn Varget
    Federal match Primer

Top shot 600 yards 3 shot group 1.3 inch

Re: Savage 10 FCP-K

If you need a muzzle break to 'reduce recoil' on a .308 rifle you need to go to a lighter caliber. Recoil from the .308 in an 8-10 lb rifle is not much more than the 5.56 from a light weight AR-15. Especially with the nice soft recoil pad Savage offers on the M-10 PC.
    Just my .02 worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads