Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

help with OCW results

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Sendero2 
#1 ·
Hello, I could use some help understanding my OCW test results.what am I looking for? Is vertical or horizontal spread a bad thing? Thanks in advance for your help!
Test was shot at 200yrds

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Move in to 100yds, test again and post your results.
This raises an interesting question that never occurred to me. Why 100yd? Why not 50yd or even 25yd? Don't you want to be as close as practical to eliminate as many shooter variables from this as possible?

#8 ·
Well with all your experience Orkan, you should be calm and collective and not get upset every time someone disagrees with you.

#10 ·
I don't "angry" anywhere in my statement. You just always get defensive when people disagree with you.

#11 ·
Sorry if it seems that way. I don't feel defensive. Could be that I spend every day, having people with little or no experience ask me questions, and then arguing with my answers. What do I have to defend against? If you want to call me something... call me arrogant. It's a better fit. :)

#12 ·
I agree that 100 yards would be a much better range to test at...

that said, you may have a node at 77.5, based on probably scatter node at 76.5 grains area.

Some of your flyers look either shooter induced, or perhaps action screws and/or scope mount screws are needing attention (torquing)...

Parallax, if not adjusted for, can also cause flyers to show up in odd areas. If a flyer "reaches" toward a new point of impact, and the next charge level puts all or most of its shots in that new area, we can assume that odd shot wasn't a flyer. But when the flyer goes into its own territory (high or low, often), we have to suspect something loose with the rifle, or... a loose nut on the trigger. :p

#13 ·
Action screws, rings, base are all torqued to spec.
Parallax is adjusted so when I move my head their is no movement in cross hair in relation to target. I have had issue with mirage from barrel heat.
Im still fairly new to precision shooting and my technique needs some work. The flyer's are evidence of that. I use a rest for load development to try to eliminate my error.
77.5 has looked good on a couple different tests.

#17 ·
When load testing a 7mmSTW and 264 wm a few years ago we found that we shot more consistent groups and had better holding of zero by holding the bipod down. This was off a solid table and truck roof or bonnet. This practice of holding the bipod or forend down has been mentioned on some other more hunting related sites but it worked for us.

#22 ·
Thanks for the input. I will redo the test at 100yrds, this time prone, bipod and rear bag. I do practice getting behind the rifle, trigger control and follow through but I still need some work. I have read Dan's process a couple times and understand it.

#23 ·
I reshot the ocw test last week. Unfortunately, it rained so hard the target got destroyed. Again, 77.6 looked good so I started playing with seating depth this week, top pic.
I loaded 20rnds at 3.576 and shot 4, 5 shot groups today prone, bipod, rear bag and this is my results, bottom pic.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.