Reloading List - Page 7

Reloading List

This is a discussion on Reloading List within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by Arkansas89 What about the Dillon presses? Some of them seem to cost a pretty penny, others not much more than the Forster ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Reloading List

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas89 View Post
    What about the Dillon presses? Some of them seem to cost a pretty penny, others not much more than the Forster Co-Ax. Is Dillon worth the extra over the Forster? If so, why?
    Which Dillon?
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Any of them, they have a few different models...I have heard some people rave about them, but I personally don't know anything about them.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/relo...hines_8_1.html
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    - Proverbs 17:28, KJV

What about the Dillon presses? Some of them seem to cost a pretty penny, others not much more than the Forster Co-Ax. Is Dillon worth the extra over the Forster? If so, why?
    Dillon presses are Progressive and the Co-Ax is a single stage. Different market segments totally. Single stage for making one round at a time as accurately as possible.

Dillon Progressive for producing as much ammo as possible in a short time, producing one finished round per pull of the handle. Fill the powder hopper, Primer Tube, Add empty brass to the brass feeding tube or case feeder, pull handle and when the first case hits the seating station, place a bullet on the case mouth. From there on every pull, another round. To gain this speed of production compromises are made. The powder measure varies in charge weight accuracy, more with some powders than others. Seating depth may vary small amounts too. All not so bad for "volume shooting" but not so good if you want every round to be perfect.

Pistol shooters, AR Shooters, and 30 Cal semi-auto (or full auto for that matter) often use the Progressives. Unless you are willing to weigh every charge and just use an old fashioned funnel instead of the automatic powder dispenser the single stage presses (like the Co-Ax) are preferable. If you weigh every charge the progressive load rate becomes so slow it really offers little benefit but you still pay the price for it's built in speed.

I use my Dillon 650 strictly for my semi-auto pistols and my AR-15's. For larger calibers it's all single stage.

Haven't checked lately but I believe Dillon doesn't offer a single stage press.

Dillon does not offer a single stage. Coax is for precision. Dillon is for fast loading...just like deadshot said.

Dillon are good presses and I use them for pistol rounds...but are not great for precision. When you are ready to load pistol rounds quickly let me know and I will give you the rundown on each of the dillons. I have owned or own almost every one of them. However for precision or just starting out you need a single stage.
    Desert Tech SRS with TS 308 conversion
    TacOps Tac 51 .260 on Surgeon action
    NRA Life-Member

Hidden Content

Thanks for the clarification, I'll stick with the Co-Ax. And yes, I do intend to weigh every charge.
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Dillon does not offer a single stage. Coax is for precision. Dillon is for fast loading...just like deadshot said.

Dillon are good presses and I use them for pistol rounds...but are not great for precision. When you are ready to load pistol rounds quickly let me know and I will give you the rundown on each of the dillons. I have owned or own almost every one of them. However for precision or just starting out you need a single stage.
    Very true. I run all my pistol rounds in my 550 and I love it. But for my long range rifle I use a C&H press. Attachment 13289

Tell me about this "C&H press"...

Which die set did you decide on?

I got it around late 80's I think. At first I did both pistol and rifle on it. Later I got the 550 for pistol. But the CH is strong. 444-X Pistol Champ press is the one I have.I use it with 300 Win Mag, 45/70,30.06, 308. No trouble with it and keeps working.
    https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses But they do have the The Champion press body is a heavy duty 'O' type that cannot be sprung like other reloading tools. Our gigantic ram (largest in the industry) is 1.185" in diameter and has almost 16 square inches of bearing surface continually supporting alignment during the operational cycle. We worked over 2 years with several leading engineers from a major university to develop the new toggle system. Our computer designed toggle system is based on a proven compound leverage system and develops more force than any other hand operated reloading press - making the Heavyweight Champion the most mechanically efficient press in the world. This new toggle system allows you to swage the very heaviest bullets with ease !

The Champion also has a removable top bushing which allows you to use 1" - 14; dies for large caliber's such as 577 Nitro, 577-450 Martini Henry, 505 Gibbs, etc.
    Ram force +/- 5° of top dead center > 10,000 lbs with 45 lbs force on handle.
    Last edited by SatCong; 12-15-2016 at 01:24 PM.

I'd go the Co-Ax route for your press. What I mean by that is stop thinking about it, stop trying to find other models to research, and stop searching for something better.

The floating die/floating jaw setup on the coax produces the most concentric ammo possible outside of ONE other method: Wilson-type dies using an arbor. I like the speed and simplicity of the coax over the arguable/debatable benefits of using an arbor. I'll try to participate more in this thread and read back through everything to try and help where I can.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Ads