Reloading List - Page 8

Reloading List

This is a discussion on Reloading List within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by gpark09 Which die set did you decide on? Think I've settled on the Redding dies to start with...once I have the action ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Reloading List

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    Which die set did you decide on?
    Think I've settled on the Redding dies to start with...once I have the action trued and rebarreled I may go with custom Whidden dies...but the Redding looks good enough to learn on
    - Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD (.308 WIN)
    - Savage Model 11 (.270 WSM)
    - Remington 760 Gamemaster (.243 WIN)
    - Winchester Model 9422M (.22 Win Mag)
    - Marlin Glenfield Model 20 (.22 S-L-LR)
    - Marlin Glenfield Model 60 (.22 LR)
    - Remington 870 Express Magnum (12 ga.)
    - Winchester Ranger Model 120 (20 ga.)
    - Ithaca M-66 SuperSingle (.410 ga.)
    - Ultra-Hi by Miroku of Japan (.45 BP)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas89 View Post
    Think I've settled on the Redding dies to start with...once I have the action trued and rebarreled I may go with custom Whidden dies...but the Redding looks good enough to learn on
    I like the factory forster dies a LOT better than redding dies. Both sizers, and seaters.

Here's a little comparison I wrote a zillion years ago.
    Primal Rights, Inc :: Bullet Seating Dies - Redding vs. Forster

I thought about the custom dies, too. I ended up doing bit similar but not quite a custom way. Just in case you may be interested, this is what I'm doing now.

After going trough some changes, I ended up with set of two die, Full sizing die and a competition seating die. Later I found out it's same as Master Hunter Series. Yep, I kinda wasted some money there. I took the expander ball and the decap pin out. All I do is full length size with it. Then, I run the expander mandrel .002” under bullet diameter for neck tension. This process would make sure I have concentric from inside of the case neck. Also, by not pulling the case neck with the expander ball, it ensures that I don't have irregular shoulder bump.

At last, seat them with the competition seating die. You will know it's a lot better than regular seating die once you use it. Forster micrometer seating is also very popular.

I am pretty sure you will find your own way of like. I just hope you don't waste your money during that course.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    I thought about the custom dies, too. I ended up doing bit similar but not quite a custom way. Just in case you may be interested, this is what I'm doing now.

After going trough some changes, I ended up with set of two die, Full sizing die and a competition seating die. Later I found out it's same as Master Hunter Series. Yep, I kinda wasted some money there. I took the expander ball and the decap pin out. All I do is full length size with it. Then, I run the expander mandrel .002” under bullet diameter for neck tension. This process would make sure I have concentric from inside of the case neck. Also, by not pulling the case neck with the expander ball, it ensures that I don't have irregular shoulder bump.

At last, seat them with the competition seating die. You will know it's a lot better than regular seating die once you use it. Forster micrometer seating is also very popular.

I am pretty sure you will find your own way of like. I just hope you don't waste your money during that course.
    That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Although, it is nothing like the Whidden custom dies I was referring to. I was talking about sending no less than 3 once fired, unsized cases to Whidden and they make a set of dies specifically sized for the average of those cases. It's expensive though, so I wouldn't do it till I have an action and barrel worthy of the price...

Custom Reloading Dies ? Whidden Gunworks

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    I like the factory forster dies a LOT better than redding dies. Both sizers, and seaters.

Here's a little comparison I wrote a zillion years ago.
    Primal Rights, Inc :: Bullet Seating Dies - Redding vs. Forster
    I read that article just the other day actually and was persuaded to go Forster...but all I could find online looked like benchrest dies. I'll keep looking
    gpark09 likes this.

I read that article just the other day actually and was persuaded to go Forster...but all I could find online looked like benchrest dies. I'll keep looking
    Have you looked at Midway USA? Last time I was on their site I believe they had just plain, ordinary, Forster Sizing dies. The also have the Forster/Bonanza seating dies with sliding chamber that holds both bullet and case in line with each other as the bullet is seated without the micrometer adjustment. Just a standard die like most others where you unlock the adjustment screw, adjust for length, and lock. If you are loading the same bullet over and over the Micrometer isn't really necessary unless you are attempting to load each and every finished cartridge with the same length by starting each round with the adjustment backed off, measure COAL (or CBTO) then adjusting the micrometer down the exact amount you need to seat the bullet deeper. If using good bullets and measuring CBTO with the comparator tool on your caliper this is unnecessary.

Well this thread just reminded me to tell the Ms I wanted a set of Forster Dies. She said get them, thats your Christmas present lol.

I did order the benchrest set. They looked like plain old dies to me.
    SatCong likes this.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Precision Reloading usually has them. https://www.precisionreloading.com/c...l=FRS&i=U00107

I have the Micrometer Seater and Full Length resize in 223.
    Because of the rubber ring in the resize die that allows it to float and self-center, Forster does not recommend using it on military crimped brass.
    First time through with crimped range brass I am using the RCBS small base die to deprime and first resize.
    Forster from then on.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-17-2016 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    Well this thread just reminded me to tell the Ms I wanted a set of Forster Dies. She said get them, thats your Christmas present lol.

I did order the benchrest set. They looked like plain old dies to me.
    Let me know if they are normal...I don't need or want bench rest right now

Let me know if they are normal...I don't need or want bench rest right now
    Indeed they are just like "regular" dies. There are some slight differences when compared to some of their competition.
    The expanding ball on the FL die is positioned closer to the neck shoulder so that when case exits die concentricity is maintained.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Ads