Some reloads not extracting - Page 2

Some reloads not extracting

This is a discussion on Some reloads not extracting within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by phoenix67 Loads are not hot - 42,5gr of N140 with a 150gr SST or 150gr Lapua Scenar - The rounds do not ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Some reloads not extracting

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix67 View Post
    Loads are not hot - 42,5gr of N140 with a 150gr SST or 150gr Lapua Scenar - The rounds do not feel wedged in chamber - If I use a full resizing die on the same cases which do not extract they then function fine, however I prefer to neck size and bump shoulders to maintain the lifespan of the case and increase accuracy.
    Ding Ding Ding. There's your problem.

This is one of the reasons I tell folks to FL size rather than just neck size. I bet you your problem is case web expansion. It only takes a half a thousandth or so, and that sissy little extractor in that nesika is going to skip right over it. You need to properly size your brass if you expect it to function. Then if you're having case life problems, you anneal.

You could try to get a hold of nesika and get a stronger extractor spring (if they have one) and see if that fixes the issue, but if you tell them you're not FL sizing... they'll likely instruct you to do so.

Yes, and have now resorted to using a full sizing die to resize the cases back to SAAMI specs, but I prefer to just trim, neck and shoulder bump, but then have the extractor problem.

Yes, and have now resorted to using a full sizing die to resize the cases back to SAAMI specs, but I prefer to just trim, neck and shoulder bump, but then have the extractor problem.
    Get yourself a new action, or have someone stick an m16 extractor in that bolt. That is literally my most hated extractor design that you're dealing with there. Some companies can execute it well... but others, not so much.

Are you saying or implying that you never full length size before and not ever willing to full length size them?

I am full length sizing now as that seems to solve the problem, however I would prefer to neck size and shoulder bump to make the brass last longer.

I am full length sizing now as that seems to solve the problem, however I would prefer to neck size and shoulder bump to make the brass last longer.
    Buy an annealing machine.

I see what you meant. Well... like the guy above said, you should think about annealing if case life span is your concern. However, as you already know full length size is inevitable. You can't just neck size forever.
    Orkan and mamalukino like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
    I see what you meant. Well... like the guy above said, you should think about annealing if case life span is your concern. However, as you already know full length size is inevitable. You can't just neck size forever.
    Exactly, and if you have to do it once, why not do it every time, so the brass works, and is the same every time? Besides, squeezing brass in on the sides down at the web isn't what wears cases out. It's the necks/shoulders that take the brunt of that. He can get a bushing FL die and get everything he wants done, and not have the function issues.

So the slightly polished band of brass about 1/8" up from the base of the case that is about 3/16" wide is the case Web expansion?
    When I was first FL resize some LC 14 223 Norcal sent me with the small base resize, I noticed that.
    Case to shoulder was getting a touch down the case wall and the neck.
    Checked it with my Wilson Gauge.
    Hmm.
    Learning more again.
    Still need to try my Hornady gauge.

Does the OP have a drop in chamber style case gauge?
    Wilson, Lee, Dillon?

Read the postings below by Kevin Thomas of "Team Lapua USA" and pay attention to his post #6 and "The rat turd in the violin case".
    If Sierra full length resizes all its test ammunition in their lab it should tell you something.

Neck Sizing
    http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=152715

Below from the old "Rifleman's Journal" website, Mr. Salazar was answering a question about partial neck sizing. He is explaining the benefits of full length resizing below.

Reloading: Partial Neck Sizing
    by German A. Salazar
    http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...ck-sizing.html

"Now the last scenario, a full-length sized case in which the neck is also fully sized. There is clearance at the neck and in the body of the case, the closest fit anywhere is the bullet in the throat. If the neck to bullet concentricity is good (although it needn't be perfect), then the bullet will find good alignment in the throat and the case body and neck will have minimal influence. Let's not forget that the base of the case is supported by the bolt face or the extractor to a certain degree as well; this is yet another influence on alignment. As you can see, there are several points from base to bullet that can have an effect. My procedure is to minimize the influence of those that I can control, namely the case body and neck, and let the alignment be dictated by the fit of the bullet in the throat and to some extent by the bolt's support of the base. Barring a seriously out of square case head, I don't think the bolt can have a negative effect on alignment, only a slightly positive effect from minimizing "case droop" in the chamber. Given that a resized case will usually have a maximum of 0.001" diametrical clearance at the web, this isn't much of a factor anyway."

NOTE, at the Whidden custom die website they tell you they get the most concentric ammunition with non-bushing full length dies. Meaning the least bullet runout.
    Hypo likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads