Some reloads not extracting

This is a discussion on Some reloads not extracting within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Some fire formed reloads, (neck sized & shoulder bumped only) which have exactly the same case length, OAL, seating depth etc do not extract from ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Some reloads not extracting

Some fire formed reloads, (neck sized & shoulder bumped only) which have exactly the same case length, OAL, seating depth etc do not extract from a bolt action .308 - it seems the extractor has difficulty gripping the rim on these particular rounds - yet the rims when measured are exactly the same diameter of the rims on rounds which do extract, so it's not that the rims have been damaged.

These reloads make up less than 10% of all rounds which are reloaded. I tend to test the reload batches now by chambering and un-chambering the rounds to see which ones will extract in trying to solve this puzzle.

Is it that I am bumping the shoulder too much or too little?

Would a RCBS micrometer gauge be a solution to understand the exact measurement required off the datum line to base of cartridge to understand exactly how much I should be bumping back the shoulder?

Any suggestions on the cause of this problem based on your own experience is welcomed.

What rifle? It may not be your reloads.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix67 View Post
    These reloads make up less than 10% of all rounds which are reloaded. I tend to test the reload batches now by chambering and un-chambering the rounds to see which ones will extract in trying to solve this puzzle.
    I don't understand what you're saying here. Clarify please.

Niseka T action, with a Bartlein barrel 1:10 thread

Some of my reloads once chambered do not extract as the extractor does not grip the base of the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
    What rifle? It may not be your reloads.
    Gotta be a Savage. Lol sorry.

Have you experienced extraction problems with this rifle before? Are you sure the extractor is functioning correctly? Those that are not wanting to extract, are you sure they are sized properly and not just wedging in the chamber? Are you running too hot a load and feeling heavy lift?

Quote Originally Posted by kcmags View Post
    Gotta be a Savage. Lol sorry.
    Well nesika's run savage-style extractors which are total crap... so yeah, I'm not surprised he's having extraction problems.

Loads are not hot - 42,5gr of N140 with a 150gr SST or 150gr Lapua Scenar - The rounds do not feel wedged in chamber - If I use a full resizing die on the same cases which do not extract they then function fine, however I prefer to neck size and bump shoulders to maintain the lifespan of the case and increase accuracy.

Do you have a case measuring tool?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...ith-comparator

That will tell you if your bumping the cases enough.
    I redefined trust between my wife and I. Bought her a gun, hand loaded ammo for it, showed her how to shoot it, and made her the beneficiary on my life insurance.

-Chris

Hidden Content Originally Posted by sns2 Hidden Content
    I got my gun today. Went to the range. You guys weren't kidding. Even off a rest it seemed to be touching the barrel. What an utter piece of s*** that Hogue stock is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads