308 case capacity - Page 2

308 case capacity

This is a discussion on 308 case capacity within the Reloading forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by Cliffy As long as there all measured the same way in comparison it shouldn't matter. I think most are to the top. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 308 case capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    As long as there all measured the same way in comparison it shouldn't matter. I think most are to the top.
    One of the reason I ask is if you look at the nosler reloading manual which is also on line they list the case capacity in h2o for there cases with different bullet weights and it didnt make sense.

Cliffy
    Odd that my Nosler manual doesn't list h20 cap, but the online manual does. Thanks for that info.

Anyway that 65.1 I see in the online Nosler on 30-06 closely equals the 4.38 cc in my Lee manual as "Useful case capacity" if that helps any. And that would explain different h20 weights for the same case with a different bullet(the useful case capacity due to that bullets dimensions taking up more or less case capacity than a different bullet)

Anyway sounds like you have a good handle on the data. Gonna shoot today? Beautiful here today on the other side of Canada although -15 below.
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Quote Originally Posted by Skypilot View Post
    Odd that my Nosler manual doesn't list h20 cap, but the online manual does. Thanks for that info.

Anyway that 65.1 I see in the online Nosler on 30-06 closely equals the 4.38 cc in my Lee manual as "Useful case capacity" if that helps any. And that would explain different h20 weights for the same case with a different bullet(the useful case capacity due to that bullets dimensions taking up more or less case capacity than a different bullet)

Anyway sounds like you have a good handle on the data. Gonna shoot today? Beautiful here today on the other side of Canada although -15 below.
    Its a beautiful day here to just twice as cold.

Cliffy

Its a beautiful day here to just twice as cold.

Cliffy
    It's cold here, it's about 70 outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    It's cold here, it's about 70 outside.
    That hurts. lol
    When it get much warmer than that here they gather up the homeless and rush them to an air conditioned shelter......
    Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. Psalms 82:3-4

Does any have the case capacity of 308 win case from nosler in grains of water?

Cliffy
    I have Quickload and you are required to check case capacity with a "fired" case from your chamber. And a new unfired case would give a false reading on capacity governed by your chamber.

As a example Quickload will default to the lowest case capacity of a given caliber. And with a .223 this would be 28.0 grains of H2O and Lake City 5.56 cases have a capacity of 30.6. And this variation in cases with the same powder charge will cause a 6,000 psi difference in chamber pressure.

This case capacity pressure differential decreases with larger calibers with increased case capacity meaning as a example a 30-06 case with 8 grains of capacity difference might only be 1,000 psi difference.

Bottom line if you want the case capacity of your "fired" cases you will need to weigh the case and then fill the case with water and subtract the difference. And remember chambers and resizing dies vary in size and case capacities are not written in stone.

I'm converting Lake City 7.62 cases and necking them down to .243 and typically Lake City 7.62 cases have 2 grains less capacity than a .308 case. Meaning the work up load will need to start 2 grains lower and 2 grains less than listed max loads. And when I have a fired case and the case capacity Quickload will give me far more safe and accurate loading data for all the usable powders.

Below "ball park" case capacities.

Cartridge Case Capacities
    http://kwk.us/cases.html
    Last edited by bigedp51; 01-11-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Case volume needs to be measured from a case fired in your chamber. Volumes will also change based on brass manufacturer and even batches within that manufacturer.
    mamalukino likes this.

Do you filll/measure with a primer installed? Plug the pocket with clay? What's the "normal" method?

Thanks;

jky

I put a used primer in upside down.
    Hidden Content

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

Who would be Free; Themselves must strike the blow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads