Rifle Ideas

This is a discussion on Rifle Ideas within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm definetly a newbie when it comes to long range/tactical rifles. It is something I have always wanted to do and have been interested in. ...

Thread: Rifle Ideas

Rifle Ideas

I'm definetly a newbie when it comes to long range/tactical rifles. It is something I have always wanted to do and have been interested in. First I would like to say that you all have a great site going here with alot of very valuable information and I am fascinated by the weapons that some of you have. That being said i have decided to take on my own rifle project. my thoughts are to ease into the project by purchasing parts as the money is available and then assembling or having the rifle assembled. Building the rifle is not what bothers me, it is the fine tuning/blueprinting that i would not have a clue or have the tools to do it.

I currently have a .270 that i use for a coyote brush gun.

I would be using this weapon as a long range target rifle and a varmint still hunting rifle.

now here is where my ? arise. i haven't shot a .308 but i've shot a 30-06 and a .300 Win mag. but i was leaning towards a .308 due to the wealth of knowledge and information regarding this round. Is there any need for me to step up to another round.

just out of curiousity has anyone shot a .338 Rem?

And what does it take to change the caliber of a rifle. I have access to several mauser actions. and have always liked the ones that i've shot. but what would it take to convert these to another caliber?

here is the components that im looking at
    McMillan A-5
    Rem 700 Action
    badger ordinance base
    Badger ordinance rings
    most likely a 1:12", 24" barrel(if .308) not sure of brand yet
    prolly shoot 168 gr bullets if .308
    harris bipod

how does this look to you all?

thanks in advance for the help

Looks good but get a 1 in 11" twist barrel and shoot the 175s as they will perform better at long range than the 168s and with that proper twist just as good at short range also.

Also if you want to save some cash on the rings and mount but not give up anything on quality check out www.seekinsprecision.com Excellent products.

Re: Rifle Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by sILlogger
    Building the rifle is not what bothers me, it is the fine tuning/blueprinting that i would not have a clue or have the tools to do it.

I currently have a .270 that i use for a coyote brush gun.

I would be using this weapon as a long range target rifle and a varmint still hunting rifle.

now here is where my ? arise. i haven't shot a .308 but i've shot a 30-06 and a .300 Win mag. but i was leaning towards a .308 due to the wealth of knowledge and information regarding this round. Is there any need for me to step up to another round.

just out of curiousity has anyone shot a .338 Rem?

And what does it take to change the caliber of a rifle. I have access to several mauser actions. and have always liked the ones that i've shot. but what would it take to convert these to another caliber?

here is the components that im looking at
    McMillan A-5
    Rem 700 Action
    badger ordinance base
    Badger ordinance rings
    most likely a 1:12", 24" barrel(if .308) not sure of brand yet
    prolly shoot 168 gr bullets if .308
    harris bipod

how does this look to you all?

thanks in advance for the help
    For the blue printing/accurizing part you need a gun smith. This requires a lathe and knowledge of how to run it. It is not a job for someone in their workshop unless they are a machinist and have some high dollar equipment in their shop.

If I were you I would leave that as a 270. 270 is more then capable of 1000 yards shooting and it makes an awesome hunting round. Thus it fills both your requirements. While 308 is more common it is a short action cartridge and would work but you would have an aweful long pull length. The other two you mentioned are both long action cartridges and would work but why when you have something already chambered in a capable round.

One the Mauser bit. I would take one of those and send it to mlammers (Mark Lammers of LOSOK custom arms) he is our resident mauser expert and can fix you up right for a fine price.
    Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you.

Sum dominus fati: sed sum princeps meae.

Re: Rifle Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot38
    For the blue printing/accurizing part you need a gun smith. This requires a lathe and knowledge of how to run it. It is not a job for someone in their workshop unless they are a machinist and have some high dollar equipment in their shop.

If I were you I would leave that as a 270. 270 is more then capable of 1000 yards shooting and it makes an awesome hunting round. Thus it fills both your requirements. While 308 is more common it is a short action cartridge and would work but you would have an aweful long pull length. The other two you mentioned are both long action cartridges and would work but why when you have something already chambered in a capable round.

One the Mauser bit. I would take one of those and send it to mlammers (Mark Lammers of LOSOK custom arms) he is our resident mauser expert and can fix you up right for a fine price.
    thank you for the reply..I was certain that the blueprinting/accuracy part would require a gunsmith(of which we don't have a good one close-or atleast not that i have found). the .270 that i have is a single shot heavy barrel breakdown. this weapon is good for one shot accuracy but it suffers when it comes to follow up shots( i know just hit what u are shooting at the first time and u don't have to worry about it). this weapon is great for coyotes and the 90 grain hollowpoints@3500 fps do a pretty good # on them. the rifle is also quite light and im looking for something that is more stationary.

As for the mausers i think i can get a complete gun for around $100. what does it take($$) to get the action work done and convert on to another caliber?

does anyone know where to find ballistics/more info on the .338 Rem?

thanks all

You talking about the 338 Remington Ultra Mag or RUM? Do a Google search and you'll find a bunch of info on it. It will come real close to 338 Lapua ballistics but at less cost for brass and loaded ammo.

I wouldn't recommend that as a good first long range rifle though due to the recoil.

yea i was talking about the .338 RUM. i figured it was a pretty hot round...prolly quite a bit hotter than anything i have shot. how do these rounds compare to a .300 win mag as that is about the largest metallic brass round i have ever shot.

it kinda looks like the .338 RUM with a bit of hand loading work could be one heck of a round...if a person really needed it.

how do you guys feel that a .300 win mag compares to a .308?

thanks

Are you planning on shooting a lot of rounds on a consistent basis? If so you really dont want a magnum round. The downside of a magnum is what makes them a magnum, more powder. The more powder you stuff in a case, the more barrel wear in the throat you get, the less rounds the barrel is good for. If you new to consistent long range work, the 308 or 30-06 are good choices, both are well documented rounds and work very well.

As far as the mauser goes. What kind of mauser is it. I can give you more info if you can tell where it was made the markings on it, small ring or large, etc. If its a good working 98, I can make it into what you want, for most common calibers. I can make it a magnum it just costs more. The work involves the obvious getting the old barrel off, cleaning up and sqaring the action face, lugs, and bolt face, and polishing the rails if needed. The the bolt will need to be modified to work with optics, the trigger will get changed out as will the safety, and the receiver will be drilled and tapped for mounts. the barrel will be your choice but I prefer Lawton most of all. Then the fun begins of making it look pretty for you. Stocks are easy, but the choice of which one is not so easy. You can spend as much as you want or as little, but if you order one through me, I promise it will shoot 1/2 MOA or better.
    ML313 Founder LOSOK Custom Arms LLC

www.losokcustomarms.com

Know your enemy and yourself, and you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles-SunTzu

Practice does not make perfect, PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT-OSP Drill Instructor

Ads