DPMS Panther Arms LR-243

This is a discussion on DPMS Panther Arms LR-243 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Has anyone tried the DPMS Panther Arms LR-243 :?: , or seen one in action? I'm in the process of getting a light recoil rifle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DPMS Panther Arms LR-243

Has anyone tried the DPMS Panther Arms LR-243 :?: , or seen one in action? I'm in the process of getting a light recoil rifle for 300 yards bench rest, and bean field deer hunting. I simply can't tolerate the 308, and my shoulder is as good as it's going to get. The reason I choose the 243 over the 6.8mm is I'm set up to reload the 243.

I have no practical experience in the 6.8mm, and I assume that it shoots basically the same bullet & speed as the 243?

I would really like to work up a load that wont eat my barrel for lunch. From what I have heard, just under 3000 fps should give me good barrel wear.

If nothing else it would be some kind of fun setting an AR on the shooting bench

Great choice, just make sure you get enough twist rate to shoot the cool bullets. :wink:

The 6.8 or the 243?

I haven't loaded any 243 since my dad died. He had a Browning ABolt Stalker, and I don't remember the twist. After I found the load it liked, it would shoot MOA to 300 yards using 95grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. Totally decimates the vitals of a whitetail, and he shot a HUGE old doe that dressed 135lbs, with a double shoulder shot.

The 243 is way better than the 6.8, you need at least a 1 in 9 twist.

Re: DPMS Panther Arms LR-243

Quote Originally Posted by geneinnc
    I have no practical experience in the 6.8mm, and I assume that it shoots basically the same bullet & speed as the 243?
    Gene,
    The 6.8 is a .277 diameter bullet. Same diameter as the 270 Win. Just shoots light weight bullets at relativly low velocity. The 243 Win is a much better cartridge for hunting.
    According to Bergers website, If you want to shoot the heavier Berger bullets - the 105g hpbt, you'll need a twist rate of 1 in 8 and the 115g hpbt needs 1 in 7.
    I have a 1 in 9 twist on my 6mmAI and can't shoot the 105/115 Bergers. Everything else works well, though.

I like the .243 AR myself and am suprised more mfgs don't try it. I did talk to RRA a few weeks ago, and they said a varmint type 6.8spc with SS barrel was in the works (probably based off the Predator Pursuit).

i'm savin my pennies for a dpms lr.i love em,good bang for the buck.
    If you don't wanna hear the truth spoken,stay far away from me

Let me clarify the confusion created

Sorry about the confusion. I was looking at bolt actions yesterday. I had narrowed my choices to the Remington SPS or the VLS in 243. They had a NIB trade in VLS in 6mm Remington that was $100 less than the VLS 243. The reason I asked about the 6.8mm because it is the closest thing to the 243 that DPMS offers in an AR format. With the info I got from you guys on the 6.8, it's out of the running. So here's the choices left and any info I'm not sure of.

Remington SPS .243 versus Remington VLS .243:SPS is a LOT cheaper than the VLS. Is the only difference the synthetic vs laminated stock? Is it aluminum bedded or synthetic bedded? To shoot stock class, I can only float the barrel or do a trigger job on the stock trigger.

Remington VLS in 6mm vs the VLS in 243:
    Since it's $100 cheaper, I could use that to purchase dies for the 6mm cartridge, so I guess it boils down to the 6mm vs the 243 performance wise.

DPMS AR in .243
    Until I talk to someone that actually owns one, and get a accuracy report, I think I should hold off on the AR. It's also $400 higher than the VLS.

As the Berger Bullet goes, I was ignorant to think it was a target only round. Funny that I saw a HUGE grizzly killed at 630 yards by a shooter/guide that worked as a team. They guide spends a good amount of range time with each client, and sets a maximum range based on what he saw. They worked together like pros, dialed in the numbers, and planted a Berger into the bears shoulder. He walked about 30 yards and stopped. The next shot killed him before he hit the ground. I wish I could remember which channel it was on, probably the Outdoor Channel (153 on DISH). They didn't talk much about the gear used, but is appeared to be a Christiansen 300 winmag, and the scope was hard to see. I would guess Zeiss. Best show I have seen this year.

Thanks for the responses, and please keep them coming. I am very impressed with the knowledge of the forum members here.

Thanks

Gene

With very little tweeking, the DPMS can usually be coaxed to shooting under 1/2 MOA with good bullets and the right handloads. Don't worry about the accuracy of the DPMS, very solid out of the box.

The 243 is a significantly better choice than the 6mm Rem. The main reason is that you can get Lapua Brass for the 243, that means better accuracy, and more reloadings for your brass prep work. The stocks are a toss up, depending on the weight you want and the look you like, both can be made to shoot very well.

If you get the 243 semi, I will bet you will have to buy a lot of guns before you replace it as your favorite. I built a Stoner SR-25 10 years ago(takes same mags as DPMS) in 243 imp. for myself, it is still one of my favorite rifles to shoot. :wink:

If you plan to use it as a match rifle, why not go with a DPMS in .260 so you can shoot the higher BC bullets? Just a thought, if you're sold on the .243, I understand and it's also an excellent round.

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads