Savage 93R17, plastic or wood stock?

This is a discussion on Savage 93R17, plastic or wood stock? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi, I want to buy a savage w/SS action/barrel in .17 hmr for marmot hunting. So I have 3 choice: -Model 93R17-FVSS--- Plastic stock -Model ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ben

Savage 93R17, plastic or wood stock?

Hi, I want to buy a savage w/SS action/barrel in .17 hmr for marmot hunting. So I have 3 choice:
    -Model 93R17-FVSS--- Plastic stock
    -Model 93R17-BVSS--- laminated stock
    -Model 93R17BTVS--- laminated w/thumbhole stock
    The local store have a BVSS but they are crazy!!! They ask 529+tax(603$can) for a 378$ rifle!!
    But I took a look at the bvss and I saw that the barrel is not free-floating...

I know savage plastic stock are garbage in free floating configuration(model 10-12) but are they good in non-free floating rifle?
    Do the laminated stock offer a real advantage?
    Personnaly I prefer synthetic....and I have big hand(I have a choate ultimate varmint stock for model 12 and I ask myself if I should sell it or keep it cause the grip is a little to small for my liking) so I think the savage thumbhole stock will be too small...

Let me know if you have experience with model 93 rifle.
    Thank you

My Model 93R17-FVSS shoots under .5 MOA so I would say grab the cheap one.

Though the plastic stock on the .17 is really bad and twists like you wouldn't believe on a bi-pod it shoots fantastic.

I say go with the cheap one as well and paint the ugly bugger like I did

Shawn

Buy the laminate. No flex, you can bed it if necessary, and its much better looking.
    Kamrad Tylov

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."

I have had 2 of those three and both mine were free floated. Plus don't spend that much cash there are other canadian options to buy much cheaper. Check wholesale sports website they have the wood blued version of what you want on sale for 258 bucks

I bought my BVSS from wholesale sports for 419.99 + Tax and would take it anyday over the plastic stock one I had. In fact I sold the FVSS. If you have big hands look away from the FVSS as it felt small in my medium hands. I was going to buy the BTVS but I tried it in the store and I do most all my shooting off hand and it was very uncomfortable. However did feel great in the prone position or sitting with sticks. I also sold the BVSS and went with the .22 Mag in the grey laminate stock. I bought my .17 when all I had was 17gr V-max's availiable to me and It was horrific how many splash wounds I got on medium sized game. (porcupine to fox) I had one that I could see into his cheast cavity and he was still trying to get away because the bullet never made it to vitals. It ended up leaving a very sour taste in my mouth. I ended up going with a .22 mag and have never regreted it. Thumps everything I shoot hard and flat enough for the ranges I shoot.

I see they came out with a 20gr bullet for hunting that wasn't availiable to me when I had my guns I would recomend that for your marmots so you don't get the splash wounds and the .17 should work fine.. Just my .02 cents. for gopher sized game I don't think I will ever own a gun that fun again and I do miss it for that.
    Just a fellow with big budget taste with a small budget wallet

I wasn't bashing the .17 as it is a neat cartridge and now with better bullet choice I am sure it would be fine for all I shoot. But the surface wounds that happened more than I would ever of hoped just soured my opinion. Maybe someday I will find myself with a Hummer again as It wasn't all bad as I took a badger down with one shot to the neck. Now with all that nonsense said go with the laminate or you will wish you did if you don't.

I promise last one then I will shut up lol. these guys are more geared towards tactical rifles. If you are looking for some good reading and maybe some more answers you should try rimfirecentral.com they have a .17hmr section and a savage section

Ben
    Thanks guys for your reply
    I know guys are more geared towards tactical rifles here and I know asking this question here will not give me 20+ reply but I am not a member of any other ''rifle'' forum so.......at least I didnt say ''sniper and .17hmr'' in my post hehe! :wink:
    I will probably lean toward the bvss....the bvss I saw here wasnt free floating( I didnt try to put a piece of paper under the barrel but I saw with my eye that the end of the stock was touching the barrel) and the grey laminated wood stock look good ''even if wood wasnt my 1st choice''.

Wholesale sport was exactly the place I was looking for my new rifle! Way better price than everything I can get locally!

I think the .17 hmr is a great little round now: balistic tip, hollow point, 20 g.FMJ....

Thanks everyone

Glad you figured it out. even if you aren't a member you can still read all the threads and posts at rimfirecentral.com and there are alot of neat little tweaks to do to your rifle as well as lots of other great info. the one you seen must of been a factory bad one as both savage rimfires I have are free floated and savage advertises them as free floated. Hopefully the one you get will be free floated.

Just a heads up I couldn't find the BVSS in 17hmr on wholesale's page The BVSS they have there is listed as the 17 Hornady magnum but is the .17hm2 not HMR so make sure you phone not just order online to make sure your getting the right gun. If they are sold out give me pm and I will give you a link to a place that list's all the gun dealers of canada and you can check around for the best price.

Ben
    http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinest ... 1011000701
    It is the last link in the savage rimfire page(bottom right)
    All the 93r17 come only in .17 hmr.
    Lot of good stuff on rimfirecentral!!!

edit: Will the burris extrem tactical rings fit the factory savage scope base of a 93r17 rifle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads