Remington 760 GameMaster

This is a discussion on Remington 760 GameMaster within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hey guys whats going on. I'm just getting into serious shooting and I don't really have alot of money to build a brand new custom ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington 760 GameMaster

Hey guys whats going on. I'm just getting into serious shooting and I don't really have alot of money to build a brand new custom rifle. But I do have an old Remington 760 .30-06 slide action that my gramps gave to me when I was born. It's been well taken care of (my dads a gunsmith and my family has always taken their firearms very seriously). I guess i'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these rifles or slide actions in general for sniping/distance/accurate shooting. Thanks I hope to learn alot from you guys.

They shoot good enough to hit deer out to a couple hundred yards, but I would not attempt to make it something that it is not. That rifle is something that you should keep and cherish for sentimental value, because it was obviously something special for your grandfather to give to you. I would recommend saving some money here and there until you have enough money for a Ruger 10/22 with iron sights. When you get that, spend as much time as possible shooting it in all kinds of conditions, and be sure to practice this: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...pic.php?t=7654

While you're shooting your .22, continue saving money until you have about $1000 saved up, and buy one of Mel's starter packages. By that time you will be an EXCELLENT shot, and ready to start shooting at real extended ranges with the .308.

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but it's the advice I'll give you

-matt
    http://www.ordnancesystem.com/
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

Great advice monty, +1. My dad gave me his gun that he had since he was 9y old, it was a .270 mod 700, i put so many rounds through it i now have to replace the barrel, it would be in better shape if i had practiced more with a .22, but i will rebarrel it and pass it on to my son too. I would shoot your 760 if i was you and pass it onto my son later and then get the rifle you want like was mentioned. Mels starter is a great deal but if you wanna build slow there are plenty of rifles in the $350-500 range new and used.
    Jesse
    www.shoot-farther.com

Benchmark barrels
    360-652-2594

You said your dad is a gunsmith.Why not rebarrel an old Yugo or Czech Mauser? You can buy them for under a couple hundred, get a barrel from ER Shaw or Adams and Bennet for very little, You can get aftermarket stocks from Boyds, Richards Microfit, or Bell and Carlson.
    I've seen many rifles turned into precision rifles, but some cost more than it's worth.You are better off saving the old pump for deer hunting, and build something different.Or get Mel's package rifl, like Monteboy said.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

thanks for the advice guys i was thinkin that it wouldn't be the best but hey it helps to get opinions to be sure. Well i intend on building a better rifle in a few months but doing anything right now isn't gonna happen as i'm caught up in an ar-15 project and i just bought a new beretta 92fs and i need to buy a shotty so i can do three guns. But since i have the rifle and everything i wanted to know if it could be a good platform. Now you guys mention ruger 10/22s is that just a superior .22 LR to the rest cuz i do have a (well my wife has) a marlin model 60, would that still be good for practicing? Thanks again for the help

Quote Originally Posted by DaXSi
    but doing anything right now isn't gonna happen as i'm caught up in an ar-15 project
    Build a precision upper for on your AR-15 lower. Or buy one, I believe you can pick up a flat top 20" DPMS bull barrel upper for about $460 from Midway USA. This would be just as accurate as any bolt rifle you could buy, and would get you shooting cheap.

If nothing else, shoot your AR as-is (hopefully with iron sights) and practice shooting longer ranges with it. If you can shoot well with an iron-sighted AR, you can shoot great with a scoped bolt rifle.

Let us know what you decide, and be sure to post some pictures of your toys bud. 8)

-matt
    Stay tuned for details.

Continue with your AR-15 project, but don't sell that 760 short. They are surprisingly accurate. If you put decent glass on the piece, you will have an excellent shooter. With good handloads, it should deliver MOA accuracy or better.

So please load up some .30-06 handloads. Use Sierra bullets and IMR-4831 and you will have lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by monteboy84

If nothing else, shoot your AR as-is (hopefully with iron sights) and practice shooting longer ranges with it. If you can shoot well with an iron-sighted AR, you can shoot great with a scoped bolt rifle.
    Yeah as-is wouldn't do any good as its just a stripped lower, i'm gonna first build a 16" car and use an aimpoint. But i've been tossing the idea around of building another upper possibly in 6.5 grendel but i dunno yet that's further down the road.

I'll get some pics up of the hardware soon as is i need to get a scope for the 760 but i kinda wanna learn to shoot it iron sight right now. wouldve put some rounds through it today but left the lock keys at the house and didn't realize until we got up the mtn but i got 300 rds through my 92 which was fun.

I wanna get a composite stock for the 760 and put a lil bipod on the swivels but we'll see. You guys got any suggestions for relatively cheap optics($0-$250).

Quote Originally Posted by DaXSi
    You guys got any suggestions for relatively cheap optics($0-$250).
    Bushnell Elite 3200 10x, it should be under $200. Be sure to get a quality set of mounts and bases, I'm not sure what's available for that rifle but don't skimp on them.

-matt
    Stay tuned for details.

right on i'll look into that one. it's got a weaver rail up top so finding good rings and mounts shouldn't be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads