? on 308 velocity and 20 inch barrels. Savage vs Remington

This is a discussion on ? on 308 velocity and 20 inch barrels. Savage vs Remington within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I read an article in a gun magazine that they took a Savage 10fp 20 in a Remmy 700 LTR 20 inch and another rifle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

? on 308 velocity and 20 inch barrels. Savage vs Remington

I read an article in a gun magazine that they took a Savage 10fp 20 in a Remmy 700 LTR 20 inch and another rifle unsure but it was 26 inch barrels to test the velocities. Well the savage averaged only about 50 fps slower than the 26 inch rifle. It was still shooting high in the 2700's. with a few in teh 2800's. But the LTR was shooting in the high 2500's to low 2600's, they tried about 6 different loads.

I was wondering why such a difference is it the quality of barrels.

does anyone have an 20 inch remmy 308 and still get good velocity bc i would like to get the Tactical but not if i loose 150 to 200 fps over a 10fp.
    also be interested in hearing from 223 spped with a short barrel.

My thought is Barrel twist, but I'm guessing!

I have a Remington 700p .308 stock 1:12 barrel cut down to 19.5". I have not noticed any big differences between it and my Savage 10fp with a 24" barrel (1:10). Both rifles shoot .24 groups consistantly providing I do my work. There is some fps loss in the Remington but they are similar to the figs you stated....around 50 fps or so....it may differ for other .308 chambered rifles. Could also be the twist...

Tom
    I'm feeling good about feeling bad about feeling good.

1/129th FA Delta Battery "Send Your Mission" 1971 - 1977, 1978, 1983-1984

There are lots of reasons that different barrels shoot the same round at different velocities. The tightness of the chamber is a big one, the length of the throat is another; the depth of rifling is another, the twist rate of the rifling, tightness of the bore, machining marks left in the bore, and finally the length of the barrel.

Of all of these reasons, twist rate is not a leading indicator of Muzzle Velocity. The bullet gets engraved, and then the friction down the bore is pretty close at any reasonable set of twist rates.

A loose bore looses velocity, a tight bore (0.3075 for example) will increase veloctiy as less gas can excape around the perimiter of the bulet adn thus the pressure behind bullet remains high.

A loose chamber takes more energy from the charge to expand the case and seal the chamber than a tight chamber. The length of the throat can also make minor influence in the MV.

But overall, in the case of the Savage versus Remmy, I suspect the dimensions of the chamber, throat, and machining of the bore makes more difference than the lenght of the barrel. It would take a set of bore probe videos to confirm, however.

APK
    Great read here.

Click on 'Articles', top right labeled: 'SWAT -Dec 2000'
    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
    -Thomas Paine

APK thanks for the article learned somethings. I just looked at the twists the LTR was 1in 12 and the 10fp was 1 in 10. Someone mentioned twists has little to do do with it. So it sounds like it could be the size of the chamber. I would like to get the Remington Tactical but i would like to be able to get about 2750 fps out of it. Anyone chrono there LTRS or Tacticals.
    And if i got it in 223 would 3300 be out of reach with a 50 grain vmax?

APK
    Provided the weather holds I should have some crono numbers for you later using a 19" bbl.
    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
    -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by APK
    Provided the weather holds I should have some crono numbers for you later using a 19" bbl.
    Sounds good do u have any of these mentioned rifles.. I am basically surprised to see such a difference in between the savaage and remington. ill try to look for the article tommorow. maybe they had an explanation i dont remember i read it a few months ago.

APK
    Ok so...as far as velocity goes...today I managed 2881fps pushing a 155 scenar out of a 19" bbl (with no major pressure signs).
    -Thomas Paine

I have rifles (in the same caliber) in different barrel lengths... Selecting a powder that burns faster will help retain velocity in a shorter barrel - it (fast powders) just gives you fewer potential loads to work with but I've found speed & bullet weight to make a difference in my loads. The other disadvantage is having to keep (on hand) multiple custom loads to feed rifles of varying barrel length. I still haven’t discovered the perfect solution.
    Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads