stuck Remington 700 LTR ejector pin...

This is a discussion on stuck Remington 700 LTR ejector pin... within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; i was shooting my .308 today, when i noticed the spent casings weren't being ejected... i inspected the bolt, and noticed the ejector pin was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i was shooting my .308 today, when i noticed the spent casings weren't being ejected... i inspected the bolt, and noticed the ejector pin was fully depressed. could the spring(?) be faulty, or could it be seized from shooting? although that seems unlikely, given it had stuck after only a dozen or so shots!?
    for reference, the gun is almost brand new (i just broke it in, and it has a total of approx. 150 rounds thru it).

i'm going now to try and clean it... i'll update everybody in a little while as to whether or not it popped back out

thanks.

well i soaked the bolt in solvent for 10 mins, oiled it... and it still remained stuck in place!?

so i had to tap it (more like banging) on concrete to get it to release. once released, i cycled a round thru the gun, and it got stuck again... then i tapped it to release it, only to get stuck again w/ the 2nd round (and then again w/ the 3rd)?? wtf is going on here?

so now i'm mad. and to top things off, i broke my ankle while shooting at 600 yds (climbing back out from the cutblock), and i have no ibuprofen so i had to substitute it w/ vino. lol.

here's a pic of today. we're looking back at the target from approx. 550yds. we hiked a bit further to 600 then took some shots. the target is against the dirt bank, on the left side of the road (the obvious place).

and here's a pic of what we were shooting at: (my group is the bottom 3. i'm new at this, so i'm not sure how good they are?). i was able to hit the two wine bottles w/in 3 shots, which i placed on top of the stump supporting the target.

and i had no clue i could watch pretty much the whole trajectory of the bullet from my spotting scope, falling then hitting the target... amazing :shock:

just like the Matrix.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Stop banging the bolt on concrete, you can break it.

Disassemble the bolt and clean it well, that should alleviate the problem. If that doesn't work or is outside of you skill set a gunsmith should be able to fix it in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by pazzo
    and i had no clue i could watch pretty much the whole trajectory of the bullet from my spotting scope, falling then hitting the target... amazing :shock:

just like the Matrix.
    Your talking about the vapor trail... when it cool and humid it shows up real easy. Pretty cool effect if you ask me. As for your group, not bad from the looks of it. Measure it out and post it up.

This does raise an interesting question. How does one disassemble the bolt on a 700 for cleaning? I know there are special tools available but is it possible w/0 the tool? I don't have a 700 so I'm unable to help this fellow.

so i had to tap it (more like banging) on concrete to get it to release.
    :shock:
    RIP 27 February, 2014

We greatly appreciated the years of your life you spent with all of us. Sleep well, brother.

My guess is that there is a piece of metal or something left over from machining inside the bolt. Take apart the bolt and check everything out, there's bound to be something in there.

NO MORE BANGING THE BOLT ON CONCRETE :shock: If you need to bump it on something use hardwood or plastic, as this won't damage the metal like concrete will.

As far as bolt disassembly, I usually hook the firing pin sear on a block of oak and pull forward on the bolt body, then turn the bolt body to thread the bolt shroud out. It's a little tedious but it works without damaging anything.

-matt
    Hidden Content
    Ordnance System Designs, Inc.
    Stay tuned for details.

Be worthy of your freedom and of the sacrifice of those who protect it.

thanks for the replies! i shouldn't have said "banging" cause that's not what it was... it just seemed that way. i was only actually lightly tapping it. but nonetheless, a bad idea. :cry:

i'll try to disassemble the bolt today, and see what the problem is.

pazzo

thanks for the replies! i shouldn't have said "banging" cause that's not what it was... it just seemed that way. i was only actually lightly tapping it. but nonetheless, a bad idea. :cry:

i'll try to disassemble the bolt today, and see what the problem is.

pazzo
    Hey Pazzo, I could have sworn you took that picture at palisades in eastern ID. I know a place with a half full reservoir that looks just like that.

I just bought a rem 308 vls a few weeks ago, it is hot of the press. Rem is scrambling to make bolt guns right now and it wouldn't suprise me if a little peice of metal is in there making it stick. Sometimes, gun manufacturers get sloopy when they are "under the gun." I have noticed the locking lugs on my bolt are not mated well to the reciever. Most of the wear is showing up on one locking lug.

Another rem 700 of mine has excellent mating of the locking lugs to the reciever. I really like Remington products and thier customer service, but even they can be prone to cut corners and get sloppy when they are trying to meet increased demand.

Anyway, it is just a possiblity. I really have been quite pleased with Remington products and would recommend them to someone who wanted a solid accurate rifle. I think everything will work out. I have had many guns from many manufacturers and a good number of them have had little quirks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads