What is the best .300 Win Mag sniper rifle?

This is a discussion on What is the best .300 Win Mag sniper rifle? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I'm thinking of selling my .308 800M setup and getting 2 rifles 1) A shorter, lighter .308 for 400-600M 2) A larger caliber for 600-1000M ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best .300 Win Mag sniper rifle?

I'm thinking of selling my .308 800M setup and getting 2 rifles
    1) A shorter, lighter .308 for 400-600M
    2) A larger caliber for 600-1000M

I like what i've read about the .338 Lapua, but since I don't reload, I think the ammo will create a financial issue.

I've been looking at the 300 Win Mag. I like the AI platform in .308, but I don't know if I want to spend another 5k for another rifle. What do people think of the Sako TRG? What platform is the Secret Service using for the 300WM?

I have the Sako TRG 42 .300 win mag. I do not think you could go wrong with this rifle. Also, you mention you would like a .308 with a shorter barrel. You could look at Tac Ops rifles. Consequently, they make .300 win mags too. Mike R. is making me an Echo 51 and when thats done he is going to take a look at my TGR 42. I plan on having the barrel shorten to 24". I had my TRG 42 before I knew about Tac Ops. Things may have been different if I knew Tac Ops first. However, I love my Sako TRG 42. Both are less money than the AI.

You also cant go wrong with Remington 700s platform.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Re: What is the best .300 Win Mag sniper rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank6524
    I'm thinking of selling my .308 800M setup and getting 2 rifles
    1) A shorter, lighter .308 for 400-600M
    2) A larger caliber for 600-1000M

I like what i've read about the .338 Lapua, but since I don't reload, I think the ammo will create a financial issue.

I've been looking at the 300 Win Mag. I like the AI platform in .308, but I don't know if I want to spend another 5k for another rifle. What do people think of the Sako TRG? What platform is the Secret Service using for the 300WM?
    You need to give us a max price so we can be more usefull, but if you have a lot of money i'm sure an AI-AW .300wm would be wonderfull if not, a Rem 700 can always be used as a base and built upon untill your out of funds.

And, just because you don't reload now, there are no laws against beginning, its a whole new fun hobby in itself.

Well, for the 300 Win Mag, I would say 2-3k or so. The more I read, the more I think the Sako is the best choice for the caliber.

I know I could start re-loading, but I have what I call the "SHTF ammo rule". Despite my love of exotic weaponry and the wide availability of shooting resources through the internet, I insist that any caliber I use must at least be available from the local outdoor or hardware store. It's not that I buy it there any way, but it's good to know it's there if I need it. For me it's the same story with .223 vs 6.8spc.

Re: What is the best .300 Win Mag sniper rifle?

Bear in mind, that with good reloading skills, you can develop a 308 laod that is good to 1200 yards (155 Scenar or 155 Berger VLD at 2950 fps).

Similarly, you can develop a 300 WinMag load that is good for 1500 yards (maybe a bit longer with heavier bullets).

Thus, the 338 Lapua is only needed* when you need range beyond 1400 yards. (*) It's not like you can't use one up close, but it seems a bit on the (pun intended) overkill side.

I am currently undergoing the internal debate on whether to add a 300 WinMag or a 338 LM to my collection. And like you, there are days when one is definately preferable to the others. Still haven't come to any conclusion.

Happy hunting...

If your going to purchase match quality ammo to shoot through this gun - I would have to guess that a Tac Ops 300 WM wouldn't be out of your price range. Have you looked at match quality Win Mag ammo? I shoot a .300 Win Mag alot - its my only tactical rifle - and to shoot it alot without reloading would break me fast. If your really only looking to shoot out to 1k sometimes; mainly shooting less than 800 yds, I would stay with a solid .308 Win.

That said - I'm currently saving my dimes and dollars to send my Rem 700 to Losok and have the AI upgrade with barrel and 'smiths descretion. I have shot a couple tuned up Win Mags before; and when they are tuned right - its hard to beat 'em.

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Good long range caliber that won't beat the crap out of your barrel wold be a 30-06. Not to say that the 300 Winchester is a bad round, because it is not. However, the barrel life on them if you shoot often is not to be desired. It can also be punishing if you are not used to shooting heavy magnum calibers. Choose wisely.
    The two most abundant elements in the world are Hydrogen, and stupidity...

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggerz
    It can also be punishing if you are not used to shooting heavy magnum calibers. Choose wisely.

Hey - some of us like that self abuse stuff. Purification through pain? Maybe. :roll:

Swede
    USMC '02- '06

"Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands." - Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by tx_shooter
    If your going to purchase match quality ammo to shoot through this gun - I would have to guess that a Tac Ops 300 WM wouldn't be out of your price range. Have you looked at match quality Win Mag ammo? I shoot a .300 Win Mag alot - its my only tactical rifle - and to shoot it alot without reloading would break me fast. If your really only looking to shoot out to 1k sometimes; mainly shooting less than 800 yds, I would stay with a solid .308 Win.

That said - I'm currently saving my dimes and dollars to send my Rem 700 to Losok and have the AI upgrade with barrel and 'smiths descretion. I have shot a couple tuned up Win Mags before; and when they are tuned right - its hard to beat 'em.

Swede
    Swede......Mark will make a beauty out of that. I do hope you will be posting pics when its finally done.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads