Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

custom barrel "match" vs "standard bull"

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  taylorism 
#1 ·
Howdy, I am considering turning my tikka t3 300wsm hunter into a heavy rig. This would constitute my first custom rig.... Looking at barrel manufactures I see er shaw "standard bull" I see hart "match bull"?? What is the difference other than $150? .... anyone have a suggestion on barrel makers?....I actually want a heavyweight set up 14-17 pounds when it's done...... Thanks

#2 ·
Many good barrel makers out there like Kreiger, Bartlien, Schneider, Rock, and Broughton to name a few. Stick with a good custom tube. They will run you around $300. Then find someone who knows what they are doing to put it on because a good tube will be garbage if installed by a hack. Alot of gunsmiths have barrels they use regularly and might even have them instock so check before ordering one because the wait can be up to 12 weeks.

As for contour "bull barrel" is a generic term for a heavier contour barrel. All barrel makers have theri own contours. Some are similar or even the same but it's best to get the contour right from the barrel maker that fits what you want.

For twist go with a 10 or 11 twist with the 300WSM so you can shoot the heavys if you want along with lighter bullets. For the WSM I would go with a barrel in the 24-26" range also.

#3 ·
Thank you for the response .... Any of those manufacturers better than the rest? Any of these an exceptional value over the others? How do you rate these manufacturers surely they can't all be equal in quality and value...I just started looking into this enough to understand contour but am baffled by the term "match" being listed as a defining characteristic, for instance as a post here discussing barrel twist and the manufacturers own advertisements state er-shaw does not make match grade barrels while hart claims theirs to be match grade?? both barrels are the same contour and the same twist... same chamber??? aside from ammo, competition, chamber demention on some 50s......... I guess what I am asking is what does "match" mean in this context? Please excuse my ignorance, Thanks again

#4 ·
D.ID said:
Any of those manufacturers better than the rest? Any of these an exceptional value over the others?
No. All of the manufacters listed produce quality barrels. I personally have experience with Pac Nor and Lawton thus I can vouch for there work. However I hear good things about all that were listed.

D.ID said:
How do you rate these manufacturers surely they can't all be equal in quality and value...I just started looking into this enough to understand contour but am baffled by the term "match" being listed as a defining characteristic, for instance as a post here discussing barrel twist and the manufacturers own advertisements state er-shaw does not make match grade barrels while hart claims theirs to be match grade?? both barrels are the same contour and the same twist... same chamber??? aside from ammo, competition, chamber demention on some 50s......... I guess what I am asking is what does "match" mean in this context? Please excuse my ignorance, Thanks again
You really need to call these manufacturers and ask them what sets their different grades of barrels apart from each other. Everyone has there own way of doing things thus there really is no industry standard for the terminology. But basically it boils down to this; the higher "grade" barrel you purchase the tighter tolerances it is supposed to have. Thus don't get to hung up on terminology such as "Match grade", "super match grade", etc..... Just be sure to purchase a barrel from one of the quality manufactures mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.