Remington 700 SPS vs. 700P

This is a discussion on Remington 700 SPS vs. 700P within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I need a little bit of help. Here are the questions: 1. What is the difference between a SPS Tactical and a 700P? 2. I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington 700 SPS vs. 700P

I need a little bit of help. Here are the questions:

1. What is the difference between a SPS Tactical and a 700P?

2. I'm going to upgrade my stock to a mcmillan as it is, as soon as possible, so should i just stick to an SPS or get the 700p?

3. What really makes the rifle 'tactical'?

4. Price really isn't the issue. I expect to spend a buttload on the scope, bipod, and sling as it is. I just want to make sure I do things the most cost effecient and effective way.

Please keep in mind, I only want a 26in barrell.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

The only difference in the two is the stock and the finish. Maybe the trigger. I don't know what trigger comes on the newer 700P rifles.

3. What really makes the rifle 'tactical'?
    Finish
    Stock
    Barrel contour
    Caliber
    Sometimes the word "Tactical" wrote on it

2. I'm going to upgrade my stock to a mcmillan as it is, as soon as possible, so should i just stick to an SPS or get the 700p?
    The 700 SPS Varmint is the lower cost way to go. You can sale the stock that comes on either rifle and get some of your money back.

GC
    ==GUN CONNECTION==
    GUNCONNECT@prtcnet.com

Re: Remington 700 SPS vs. 700P

Quote Originally Posted by shrooki

1. What is the difference between a SPS Tactical and a 700P?

Please keep in mind, I only want a 26in barrell.
    "See now theres your problem!" A sps tactical has a 20in barrel however a SPS varmint has a 26in barrel :wink:

thats right, the SPS tactical has a 20 in. Barrel, you should consider the SPS varmint as it has a 26 in. Barrel.
    Smooth is fast
    Fast is economy of motion

If you are going to spend a bunch of money on the rifle get an SPS youth rifle, throw away the barrel and the stock and have a custom barrel installed, this would be the most cost effective.

If you want to shoot it while you wait for your McMillan then get the SPS Varmint is you want the 26" barrel. Ask yourself why you want a barrel that long, I like a 20" barrel, some go for 18" on a .308. What caliber are you considering and why?

To answer your question about the difference between an SPS and 700P. The 700P is parkerized and the SPS is blued (or painted I can't remember which), the SPS Tactical has a 20" barrel the 700P has a 26" barrel, the 700P has an HS Precision stock the SPS Tactical has a Hogue overmolded stock. Other than that they are the same, same action, trigger etc. I'm not sure about the bottom metal.

I am thinking of doing the same thing (buying a donor rifle) but I am looking to head out to 1000 yds by years end. What recomendation would you say for a custom barrel?
    “The cause we are engaged in is so just and righteous that we must try to rise superior to every obstacle in its supportâ€

I just found a 24" SPS , and i'm thinking of going with that and then upgrading to a mcmillan stock.

Is there much of a difference between the 24 and the 26 inch? I would like to be able to shoot to about a 1000 yards by the end of the year as well. I live in Texas so finding the land isn't hard

I really like the suggestion of going with a 26" varmint, and if there is a noticeable difference between the 24 and 26, i'll likely go with that and upgrade the stock asap.

Any stock suggestions from people who have already done this?

Thanks for all yall's help!

I will have a hard time finding a spot I think. I live up in MI and around where I live the longest range is 500. I think I am going to have to go and befriend a farmer with a big field so I can push that 1000yd mark.
    “The cause we are engaged in is so just and righteous that we must try to rise superior to every obstacle in its supportâ€

Quote Originally Posted by EricF517
    I will have a hard time finding a spot I think. I live up in MI and around where I live the longest range is 500. I think I am going to have to go and befriend a farmer with a big field so I can push that 1000yd mark.
    I thought I was the only Michigan guy here anymore
    The difficulty of armed struggle is to make long distances near and make problems into advantages. Sun Tzu

guess not LOL. I am in Howell so the ranges are hard to come by and jobs too. I have been searching for over a year.

I am wondering if it would just be better to buy a 700 action and have a krieger barrel put on it then into a A-5?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads