Building an AR 10

This is a discussion on Building an AR 10 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; This isnt a How to or anything... just trying to get some opinions. If you were to build an AR10 in .308, what platform would ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Building an AR 10

This isnt a How to or anything... just trying to get some opinions. If you were to build an AR10 in .308, what platform would you rather use? (Armalite, DPMS, ect...) and why? no gas pistons, DI only. Thanks fellas

I too have been considering an AR10 build. From my research, the most stuff avaiable for the best price has been DPMS. I'd like a lower that fits DPMS and takes a G-3 magazine, but it's probably too much to ask. I'm a big fan of the AR platform, and I'd like something longer range and deer capable, perhaps a .260 Rem caliber for the best of many worlds.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

" We cannot direct the wind,but we can adjust the sails." -Bertha Calloway

www.second-amendment.org

jeff, DPMS is the direction im going in also. If you decide to do an AR10 build, i would love to talk to you about the parts you used and how it shoots. IF I dont wait for mike to release his AR to the market Ill be building one myself. Probably going to go with 308 myself, not positive though.

Well one thing to keep in mind is that unlike AR15's and their civilian counterparts, AR10's are not that interchangeable. Once you start with a particular vendor, you're going to be committed to getting just about everything from that same manufacturer, no matter who you buy it from.

Uppers from Bushmaster are not interchangeable with DPMS lowers and so on.

My understanding is that none of the major mfgs are using the G3 mags.

I think that in most cases rather than trying to build one up, you're better off just buying what you want. Yes, you can change forearms and some minor pieces but you can also have them built that way and it may be cheaper to do so.

Lead times are insane.

From what Rob01 has said, I'm tending towards a 6.5 Creedmoor as it shoots about the same as the .260 and doesn't seem to be quite the barrel burner that the .260 is IMO.
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

260 over 7mm-08? just curious... i have no expiriance with either

The .260 Rem choice is one of increased range ,readily available ammunition and still have some knockdown power. The long skinny 6.5 bullets are ballistically superior to the .308. The .260 Creedmoor is undoubtedly superior, but for a hunter, it isn't available off the shelf. I reload, but that opportunity may not always be possible, especially on a hunt away from home.
    The 7mm-08 is a great deer cartridge, but the .260 is just a tad better ballistically.

Jeff
    Jeff passed away on July 17th, 2009, he will be GREATLY missed by everyone here at Sniper Central. Video Thread

www.second-amendment.org

The current issue with these is mags. Do you want to use armalite style or DPMS style?

DPMS just won with me because magpul will be making their mags. I own an AR-10T and I'll be selling it soon.
    Ingunowners.com for all of you Indiana people!

I like DPMS

The .260 Creedmoor is undoubtedly superior, but for a hunter, it isn't available off the shelf.
    Hornady is loading and selling over the counter the 6.5 (not .260) Creedmoor or you can order it direct. I'm sure that they are loading it with the A-Max bullet which is fine for deer and similar game.
    You thought I've been joking but you'll be sorry when the Star Cruisers arrive!

POGO57 Wrote:
    [quote:1pmkf8iq]Hornady is loading and selling over the counter the 6.5 (not .260) Creedmoor
    [/quote:1pmkf8iq]

A Freudian slip.Like going into a bar with a blonde lady bartender and ordering a blonde light. At any rate, I can readily find the .260 from one manufacturer or another.I already load for the .260. I have a .260 and a 6.5x55, the 6.5 Creedmoor is gonna be just another similar cartridge to put in the wrong rifle. I've been killing deer for a season with the .260. I'm not really concerned with burning barrels with a .260 Rem, any more than I am with my .243 Win. I'm more concerned at this point with getting an AR 10 rifle at any rate. If I change my mind about calibers, it's only a simple barrel change away.

Jeff

www.second-amendment.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads