Howa 1500

This is a discussion on Howa 1500 within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I was at Turners the other day and saw the Howa 1500 combo (with scope) for $633 with a 24" free floated heavy barrel in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500

Howa 1500

I was at Turners the other day and saw the Howa 1500 combo (with scope) for $633 with a 24" free floated heavy barrel in 308. I am pretty new to rifles and am looking to get my first bolt action, is this a good rifle. Can work be done to it to make it better as I progress down the road?

I am used to the saying, get what you pay for and I am just floored by that price. It had a Hogue stock with aluminum bedding (not as good as glass bedding if I am right) but a start.

Input would be great about this rifle. Will I be wasting my money or is it a good stepping stone with lots of room to have the rifle grow with me as well.

Thanks,
    Brett
    BJ
    ...Dolce Bellum Inexpertis

The Howa 1500 are very capable rifles; the barreled actions are used in Meles entry level package, and many members here have had great success with them. However, you will need to elaborate on what scope comes with the deal. If it is a Nikko Sterling (as I seem to remember that most are) then they are not very good and well worth replacing as soon as possible. If you are on a budget, look at the Falcon Menace, Super Sniper and Bushnell 3200 range of scopes.

As for work down the line, whilst not as popular as the Remington M700, many gunsmiths with be able to work on the Howa, not least because it is a copy of the 700 action.

Cheers

Matthais_31

Thanks for this response, exactly what I wanted to hear. Hmm maybe the Howa 1500 without the packaged scope and buy the scope I want would be better way to go.

Short action or long action? What is the difference? Is one better than the other? Etc...
    BJ

Lots of good feedback on Howa's. If it is a .308, it is a short action. The long actions come on .330-06, .300 Win Mag, etc, because of the longer case. A short action could be rebarreled for a .243, .223 and others. Correct me if I am wrong everyone about some of the cartidges I meantioned, but I do know for sure that a .308 is a SA along, and .30-06 and .300 come in long actions. Good luck.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

"For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!
    '03-'07

You should consider getting one of the Howa heavy barreled actions and put a nicer stock on it. A Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block would be a good lower cost choice.

I wouldn't mind having one in stainless 223 if they offered it in a 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrel. The 1:12 twist it is now offered in doesn't do it

GC
    ==GUN CONNECTION==
    GUNCONNECT@prtcnet.com

Quote Originally Posted by MAX100
    You should consider getting one of the Howa heavy barreled actions and put a nicer stock on it. A Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block would be a good lower cost choice. GC
    +1

But if you can't get just the action and build from there, get yourself the hbar with a hogue stock and change it later. As for the Nikko Stirling Nightcrapper; they are what they are. I have one that I have had good results with but the inaudible and almost non-existent feel of the elevation and windage adjustments made me dread this scope. On the other hand, it holds zero really well.

Shop around, they retail for much less than the price you posted.

Good luck,

Reg
    Life is Simple.
    Living is what makes it complicated.

All great feedback so far, thank you!
    BJ

Quote Originally Posted by Matthais_31
    As for work down the line, whilst not as popular as the Remington M700, many gunsmiths with be able to work on the Howa, not least because it is a copy of the 700 action.
    Not to correct you, but the Howa is more of a Mauser copy (sans the claw extractor) than it is a copy of the 700. The Howa is flat bottomed with an integral recoild lug.

They are excellent rifles with good out of the box accuracy and, as you noticed, they are priced very competitively.

You can get a Howa 1500 24" heavy barrel in a Bell & Carlson Varmint/Tactical for under $700 or in a Bell & Carlson Carbelite Classic fiberglass stock for just over $500, then put a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 tactical scope on it for another $200 and have a heck of a nice rig for $700.

That is doggone hard to beat.

Let me know if I can help.

Howa M1500

The rifle of which you speak is the rifle I have been shooting for a few months now. The out of the box accuracy of this rifle is ( in my opinion) the best you will find for the price you pay. The barreled action is top notch.

The Hogue overmold stock isn't that great. Plan on replacing when you have the funds. (I put mine in a Bell and Carlson Medalist)

The included Nikko Sterling scope is a piece of K9 fecal matter. Replace it IMMEDIATELY. ( I replaced mine with a 4-14X50 from Wonder optics)

You will very happy with that gun. Also, I got mine at Turners as well. Cost me 629.00 plus the governors cut out the door.
    .308 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    .223 Howa 1500 w/24" heavy varmint barrel
    Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit upper on a C3 Defence lower
    http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64/Welcome.html

howa

the Howa 1500M is a decent shooter for the money. you wont be disappointed with your purchase.
    Focus on your ability, not the equipment, because it is YOUR ABILITY to place the rounds you choose to carry in your gun that will determine whether you live or die in a gun fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads