krieger barrel upgrade on remington 700 ??

This is a discussion on krieger barrel upgrade on remington 700 ?? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hart barrels http://www.hartbarrels.com/...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Smooth is fast
    Fast is economy of motion

NRA Lifer/ 2nd bn. 23 rd Marines (res). 0351 AT/ Assault. "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,hoping it will eat him last ". Winston Churchill

$800 is rape to blueprint an action. Most place will true an action for around $200 and I do them for $125. A kieger barrel is about $300, krieger will thread, chamber and install it for $300. Krieger will even true your action for $175. So to have Krieger do the whole thing would be about $775, then get a Harrel brake for $35 and have the barrel threaded by a machine shop for $40 and you are in business. For $100 I'll duracoat it with a nice camo.

Don't get screwed.

Re: krieger barrel upgrade on remington 700 ??

Quote Originally Posted by dnam
    The Gunsmith stated that I may want to try out the remington barrel 1st. Any thoughts on the Krieger barrel as a replacement?
    Krieger Barrels trump factory Remington Barrels everytime. That being said, you may have a lot of good mileage in your 700 Barrel. $800.00 for Receiver Blueprinting and a muzzle brake is more than a little stiff. If this is a weekend plinker shoot it as is first, the other work wont hurt a thing and may help it.

Montana Rifleman

Most reasonable prices for smithing and barrels that I found. The finished product was awesome. Removed all the grime and Remington blueing.

http://www.montanarifleman.com

I am in market for getting the same stuff done and the only thing I will tell you is be very clear about your needs are before spending any money, like what is rifle primarily for, distance you want to shoot, caliber (what gr bullet) even loading depth of the bullet will matter in chambering for precisions. I am still evolving my requirements, as more I shoot the more I learn the more I know what I want. So until you can out shoot your Rem stick with it cause needs will definitely change at that level. Its easy to get lost in so many options but my simple rule is "guns don't make the hits, shooter does."
    Slow is Smooth
    Smooth is Fast

Dont bother with the local gunsmith... Just send the whole thing to Krieger and have them do everything... You will probably save money, it will just take a few months.
    I heard not so good things about that smith in So cali you are talking about. Get your rifle over to William Roscoe I saw that mike r from tac ops likes his work.

Meat

I heard not so good things about that smith in So cali you are talking about. Get your rifle over to William Roscoe I saw that mike r from tac ops likes his work.

Who/Where is William Roscoe?

Happy to help...

William Roscoe

http://www.LouisianaPrecisionRifles.com

Mike
    Tac Ops
    "Every Great Warrior deserves a Great Death"

I called back the smith at Merlyns Riffleworks to be sure of the pricing I was originaly quoted there price for a complete build including the barrel and Mcmillian stock ( 700 action provided by me) was around $2100.00 I checked out Louisiana Precision Rifles (William Roscoes) site and there price was about the same around $2,200.00, Krieger's price which included parkerizing both action and barrel but not including the stock or trigger job was $1,100.00 if I add around $800.00 for the McMillian stock or the JAE stock (JAE stock back ordered for 6 months) and either a triger jb for $50.00 or throw in a Timney for $125.00 Its pretty close to the same.

Now the question who does the best work and time frame? Meatpopsikl what stuff did you here about Merlyns Riffleworks/ Gruning Precision in Socal? How would Kreiger stack up to Williams Roscoes place time wise, a guy at Kreiger found the barrel for me and they are stating 6 to 8 weeks?

Any way this has been a great learning experience for me and I really appreciate all the input from everyone here. I am glad I didnt just buy the Rem 700P and leave it at that. Although I am spending more I am getting much more in quality and education.

Anyway any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads