Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Tikka T3 vs Older Tikka Models - Accuracy & Trigger

28K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  lmhybb 
#1 ·
Howdy all!

New to this forum and been doing some research on a out of the box accurate bolt action. Believe I want a Tikka and have heard they are great out of the box for accuracy and trigger, at least on the newer T3s. I found a couple older models not made anymore and prefer the wood stocks on them and was wondering how they stack up in accuracy and trigger compared to the newer T3s. The 2 models I have in question is the Model 558 and Model 595, assuming I got short action as I believe their long action counter parts are 658 & 695. Did some searches with no results. Any input greatly appreciated!

Regards,
John

#2 ·
I have a 595 and 695 and both are exellant rifles.

#4 ·
Hey John,

I'm definately a Tikka fan and own a T3, but I just so happened to be shooting at the range a couple of weeks ago and struck up a conversation with a great BR shooter, winner of the overall benchrest championship for Kenmore Rifle & Pistol Range several times, named Rick Graham. Rick also manufacturers what are regarded as arguably the best wind-flags in the benchrest circuit (http://www.brflags.com/),... and he's just a great guy and has taught me a lot about shooting, reading the wind, reloading, etc. - he's always there to answer a question and help you out in any way he can. In any case, on this particular Saturday, Rick had brought, if I rememeber correctly, a beautiful little 595 in .223 with a wood stock and a feather-light little barrel,... the thing weighed probably weighed 6lbs with scope.

Being a Tikka owner myself, I asked him all about it and where/why he, a champion shooter, had picked up this particular Tikka. He said he'd just purchased it from a guy over the internet and that he'd been a long-time fan of Tikka's and this particular model was his 3rd - he loved 'em! He said that he'd owned a few Sako's, but he was partial to the Tikka's. He wasn't sure if the rumor of the Tikka's being made in the same plant, or at least the same barrel were true, but they sure seemed to shoot like they were, if not better!

He had a box of loads that he'd made up months earlier for it's sister (another Tikka in .223 that didn't have as nice of finish/furniture as this particular one), that he used to test it out,... and test it he did! I was blown away by the accuracy that this Tikka's feather light little barrell and stock could shoot. While I realize it was 'Rick' behind the rifle, it was amazing to see such a light little gun consistently drill sub-0.75MOA groups with various ammo made for another rifle,... albeit the same model - that really says something for Tikka's consistency in their manufacturing process!

Personally, I'd love to have that little rifle! If there was a rifle I'd like to have trudging up and down hills all day, it would be something like Rick's 595. Here's a pic that I found of it,... This is NOT Rick's rifle, but one that looks like it sans the gorgeous walnut wood finish.

If you do decide that you'd like a T3, here are some pic's of my rifle and groups to vouch for it's accuracy,... I love my little Tikka T3 :D

Go for it!

Ryan

#5 ·
Thank you Ryan for that post and story! If a 595/695 good enough for Mr. Graham, it's going to be ample for me. Very nice groupings on with your T3 Ryan, is that a T3 Tactical?

Does anyone know if the 558 is just the predecessor to the 595 or just a lower model? Or any differences really?

Thanks again all for the replies!
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.