243 tactical rifle

This is a discussion on 243 tactical rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi I'm new to the site and love to shoot. I'm in the process of building a 243 winchester tactical rifle and need some suggestions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

243 tactical rifle

Hi I'm new to the site and love to shoot. I'm in the process of building a 243 winchester tactical rifle and need some suggestions on the stocks ( mcmillan, AICS,Manners,etc.) ,and optics for a starter rifle.
    When wanting peace prepare for war.

Re: 243 sniper rifle

Quote Originally Posted by blacklable
    Hi I'm new to the site and love to shoot. I'm in the process of building a 243 winchester tactical rifle and need some suggestions. Thanks
    Uh, suggestions on what? You gotta be a bit more specific. Take a look around though, there's more than a few threads in here about .243win precision and tactical rifles. Honestly, other than the chamber and barrel length, it's not any different than any .308 or whatever you'll find in here. What specifically is it you're wanting to know that you can't find in a search?

Welcome to the site!

Here's some good info to help get you started about the .243.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

I went to this site and read all I could when I was trying to get my .308 setup with a decent load and what not. It help me pick out the "right" ingredients more quickly. I was able to start with a decent setup for my rifle... and with a little tweaking, I had a good accurate load after just a few times to the range!

What kind of rifle are you looking at? A Remington 700 perhaps?

Mine is an SPS Tactical in .308, and I think you are on the right track going the tactical rout... I was skeptical at first with the shorter barrel, but not anymore!!

Hope that helps you out some!

I need help on barrel length and loads because I'm a smaller guy and I have a spare action in 243 to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklable
    Thanks, I need help on barrel lenght and loads because I'm a smaller guy and I havve a spare action in 243 to work with.
    If that action is a standard bolt face short action (which I'm guessing it is since it's currently chambered in 243), then you can easily run a 243, 260, 7mm-08, or 308 in it with just a barrel change. It's the barrel that makes it a 243, not the action. BTW, what brand action is it?

As far as barrel length and loads, what's your goal/mission for this rifle? Varmints? Deer? Paper (near or far)?

Essentially, we need some basic info to get you started.
    -Brand action
    -Goals for the rifle
    -Budget

There's actually quite a bit of info around here regarding 243 tactical rifles. More than a few members here use them for long range shooting, tactical competitions, and hunting anything from varmint to deer. If you're still unsure what you're wanting to do, search around the forums a bit for ideas. Look for posts by Rob01 and Landcbeitner, to start with, and that link someone posted earlier to 6mmbr.com.

thanks alot for all the help I'm new to long range shooting ( over 500 yards) but I did Ipsc type shooting for years.

I'll second the .260 mention. Great long range caliber for a short action!

I'm sticking with the 243 because I just bought a 243 match reloading set.
    I love the 260 but I can't find brass anywhere,otherwise I would rebarrel the gun after I burn the barrel out.

243 is a nice round, it has the capability to go as far or farther than 308 and it kicks almost like a 223.

As for the stocks you've mentioned above, they are all good quality and any one of them will serve you well. The Manners will be the most cost effective and the fastest to get, call Tom Manners, he answers his own phone and is easy to talk to. The stocks are also tough as nails. McMillan has the excellent reputation they have for a reason but are pretty backed due to high demand. The AI is one that I'm the least familiar with but I've not heard anyone complain about them.

I was thinking about Manners over all because I know 3 people who have Tom's stocks and say there great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads