Votes: 0 0.0%

Tikka T3 Tactical .308 24" barrel vs Tikka Varmint .308

17K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  woo9 
#1 ·
Which would be better to buy?
Tikka T3 Tactical .308 with 24inch barrel straight from the factory
or
Tikka T3 Varmint .308

I am wondering which is more cost effective...Yes i realize the Tactical is close to double in price of the varmint and i could use the money I saved to buy a new barrel for the varmint. I am just looking for opinions to help me decide.

Basically is the tactical worth it?

Also i am having trouble tracking down anywhere that sells the .308 Tactical with the 24" barrel..Everywhere has the 20" but the 24" is proving difficult to find.

#2 ·
I guess "which is better to buy" is a little subjective and dependent on what i plan on using it for. so....

I plan on using it as good start to competition shooting but i still want the ability to take it into the woods and hunt some. But its primary job will be target shooting

#3 ·
You don't really want a 24" barrel anyway, you just think you do.

It would seem to me the most cost effective way to get a Tikka that is bad to the bone would be to buy the T3 Varmint for $800, buy a Manners stock for $415, put a Harrel's brake on it (if you want a brake) for $85 including installation, a Karsten Cheek piece for $60 and bada-bing you have a bad rifle, even cooler than the T3 Tactical, for a couple of hundred less than a T3 Tactical and you don't have the plastic stock that no one seems to like. If you are so inclined use the $200 you saved for nice paint work and you'll have a rifle that no one else at the range has and it will shoot very well too.

#4 ·
I was in the same position as you a while back and opted for the Varmint. I couldnt justify spending the extra money on accessories I simply didnt need. My Varmint will shoot 0.5 MOA quite happily with handloads out to 300 yards.

The stocks really are not that bad. They dont look pretty, and the material may not feel great, but they are very rigid and very ergonomic.

Matthais_31

#5 ·
according to the gunshop staff, all tikkas have same accuracy in performance. what's the difference is the accessories which come from the factory.
For the big money difference, i would go for the varmint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.