6.5 Creedmoor Rifles?

This is a discussion on 6.5 Creedmoor Rifles? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Gentlemen, Is there a major fire arms manufacturer producing a target or tactical bolt action rifle in the 6.5 Creedmoor (Hornady) yet. I think there ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

6.5 Creedmoor Rifles?

Gentlemen,

Is there a major fire arms manufacturer producing a target or tactical bolt action rifle in the 6.5 Creedmoor (Hornady) yet. I think there are a few semi-auto AR types available, but I can't seem to find any bolt actions in this caliber yet.

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

PS: Hey Mele, maybe you could do a test on some of Hornady's ammo for this cartridge, if you can find a suitable rifle.

Rob01 here has lots of experience with this caliber. I have talked to him about it a few times. Its good ammo. Other than some of the AR platforms I dont know of anyone who makes a factory bolt gun in this caliber yet. With hornady as a backer of the caliber I would think some gun companies may produce a gun in this caliber.

Its basically the .260. I was told that if the .260 can do it than the 6.5 Creedmoor can do it also.....maybe better.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Ruger makes one in the VT MK II series. 28" barrel laminated stock, for around 700.00. thats the only one I have heard of.

I know DPMS and Ruger as already mentioned but that is it for now unfortunately. Hopefully as the cartridge becomes more popular others will follow. ETA: Forgot about Creedmoor Sport's rifle the CSR-1 and the Tubb 2000.

That said, it's as easy as a barrel change away and uses the same bolt face and magazines as a .308 so the change is easy. Savage guys can do it cheap.

On the 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, it gives reported velocity and is as accurate as any match ammo. In the loads I chrono'd the ES was around 25-30fps. I use the factory loaded 140 AMAX load in my matches. I have used it in 5 matches since getting my 6.5 Creedmoor and won 4 with factory ammo.

I did do a little reloading with the Creedmoor to see what I could do with it but it wasn't really worth it to me for the minor gains over the factory ammo. You can handload and bump the velocities up if you felt the need. I was at 2870fps and no pressure signs with the 140 AMAX and 43grns of H4350 which is about 1 grn over the factory load.

All in all I am very happy with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Dave you live in La Habra huh? I used to live over in LaPuente with a buddy from the Corps back in 88-90 when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton.

Hey Rob01,

I have been right here since 1989. Can't understand why ya'll didn't come over for a bar-b-que or a beer or something. We could have gotten a lot of shooting done. I used to go to the range at Fish Canyon in Duarte before they closed it down last year. It was officially named the San Gabriel Gun Club. Closed forever now. New housing developement.
    They also closed the civilian range out passed the El Toro Marine Base. Getting harder and harder to find a good place to shoot in Southern California. Now, I either go to NCSA at Pala or to the civilian range out passed 29 Palms. I shoot with a lot of Marines both active and retired. My shooting partner is a retired Master Gunny so I have learned a lot from him. I have always done a lot of shooting and considered myself a pretty good shot, but since shooting with all of these Marines my ability has increased quite a bit.

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Quote Originally Posted by ertlonggun
    Ruger makes one in the VT MK II series. 28" barrel laminated stock, for around 700.00. thats the only one I have heard of.
    Forgot all about the Ruger rifle.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... 3&return=Y
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

thanks Joey.

Bubba

Quote Originally Posted by thornblom
    thanks Joey.

Bubba
    no prob.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

If I would have know I would have Dave. Where was the internet back then? Oh yeah Al Gore hadn't invented it yet LOL I forgot where we used to shoot in the area but that San Gabrial sounds familiar. We used to go out to the desert also as my friend had a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler we used to go ride. Good times.

Shooting with good shooters definitely helps bring your skills up. That's why i like shooting with guys like Terry Cross, Matt Burkett, George Gardner and the rest of the shooters who place high at matches. Makes me work harder and learn from them.

You are right about shooting with good shooters bringing up your skills. Occasionally, out at the civilian range near 29 Palms, we get to shoot with a few of the Marine Snipers. I remember one Sniper in particular, he had his own M40 A1, custom made by a friend of his to Marine Corp specs.
    It was phenominal what that man could do with that rifle. He shot a 100 yard group, 3 shots, one hole. When I say one hole, I mean the same hole. Where the first shot hit on target was his aim point for the next 2 shots. Talk about knowing your rifle and ammo, not to mention your skills. This gentleman was on top of it all. Very nice guy too, very polite.
    A tribute to the Marine Corp.

Sincerely,
    Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads