Bolt Action VS. Single Shot

This is a discussion on Bolt Action VS. Single Shot within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Which in your opinion is better? Disregarding time to reload after each shot. Which do you find more accurate? Two guns in the same price ...

View Poll Results: Which is more accurate?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bolt Action

8 66.67%
  • Single Shot

4 33.33%

Bolt Action VS. Single Shot

Which in your opinion is better? Disregarding time to reload after each shot. Which do you find more accurate? Two guns in the same price range, would the single shot be more accurate, or the bolt action.
    "I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands"-Charlton Heston

Neither units will have anything to do with how they perform. Are you comparing specific brands? Two identical rifles will perform differently form each other due to tolerances.

Kinda like asking which one is sweeter, an apple or a pear. What brand apple and which type of pear? :wink:
    Life is Simple.
    Living is what makes it complicated.

Most of the accuracy gain you are going to get from a single shot is from manually seating the cartridge. You can manually seat a cartridge in a multi-shot to get the same effect. It might also be argued that you can get some additional stiffness in the stock when there is no space for a magazine (as in a single shot). I don't know what that gain may be... but there is potential there.

If I were building a bench rest gun, I would probably go single-shot. For almost all other applications, I think you would prefer to have that extra round(s) in reserve.

single shot

My question is what type single shot are we talking? a break open NEF Rossi? a Ruger #one? or a single shot bolt gun such as the savage( cant remember model#)? if a break open then almost always the bolt gun will be more accuarte, between the single shot bolt/benchrest or repeator imo it depends could go either way ,as stated above .
    just my thoughts as usual

I have both a repeater action .308 and a single shot .308. Ones a Remington 700, and the Other is an Omark 44. Both are good rifles.

The single shot comes from tradition (IMHO) from using such rifles in comps. Barnard, CG INCH, Omark, Nielsen, etc all are single shot actions. They are all build for the target rifle world. Where as a Remington, Savage, Tikka, Sako, etc are all build for a multitude of uses: Tactical, Hunting, Competition, Plinking, etc.

If I wanted a pure target rifle, then I would go with a single shot, you really do have to be slow with that, but you can be just as slow with a repeater action. Its what you prefer I think.

What use would the rifle have for you??
    Shaun aka "Quick"
    Two Rocks, Western Australia

Remington 700 "Custom Marksman" .308 Win
    Sportco M44 7.62x51mm NATO
    Anschutz 1416D HB .22LR
    CZ 452 Deluxe .22LR
    1944 VKT M39 7.62x54R
    1920 Lithgow SMLE No 1 MK III* .303 British
    S&W M&P 9mm

Single shot?

That's a loaded question. On the front end a single shot will do better than a mag load and far better than an auto.
    What happens today, will be history tomorrow. Few learn from History and are destined to repeat mistakes.

Both
    or
    neither, depending.

Is one M700 308 more accurate than another M700 308--yes it is highly dependent on what parts went into that particular rifle, somewhat dependent on what machine those parts got cut on, and somewhat dependent on who actually assembled the gun. But, on average any M700 is very accurate--not benchrest accurate, but at least approaching tactical accuracy if fed with quality ammo. Also, on average the M700 is completely inaccurate in a tactical sense when fed a garden variety of poorly assembled, mismeasured ammo.

Exactly the same argument can be made for the single shot (or any other bolt action rifle).

One cannot access the accuracy of the gun alone--one must always consider the gun+ammo+shooter as a package {Note: under this definition, an ransom rest IS a shooter.}

Ads