223 target rifle

This is a discussion on 223 target rifle within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Open to suggestions. We have a lot of 100 to 600 yard matches aorund here. I really am a 223 fan. I looked closely at ...

223 target rifle

Open to suggestions. We have a lot of 100 to 600 yard matches aorund here. I really am a 223 fan. I looked closely at the new Rem 700 compacts with the overmolded Hogue stocks. I nixed that when I saw the soft stock touch the barrel when laid on a rest.

Bullet choices for that range. heavier the better? If so what twist do I need. I'm not looking for a budget build. I will use either a Leupold 6.5 x 20 or 8.5 x 25, both with side focus.

I'm pretty much a bolt action guy, but I seem to shoot better with a quality AR. I was looking at the Double Star Target rifle. looks like a lot of rifle for the money. I think If I go heavy 223 I will need a single shot conversion for the extra OL?

Looking forward to your thoughts

Gene

For the 223 yes heavier the better. a 1:8 twist is the one you want. As for a stock mcmillan is a good one. Not cheap, but a good one. i take it you are going to blue print the action etc. a good place for lots of info is www.benchrestcentral.com

There are several 223 fans here as well. Saying that have you looked at something like a 243 or 260 Rem? They buck the wind better and reatin velocity better. The 223 will do what you want it, but gets blown around by the wind pretty good. Just a thought.
    John

1.Humans are more important than Hardware.

2.Quality is better than Quantity.

3.Special Operations Forces cannot be mass produced.

4.Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.

I have had good luck with the FN TSR in 223 but its a 1-9 but it shoots 68gs very well.

Dustin

I been looking for a 223 bolt action gun to get. I just ordered a 2009 Savage 10fcp-k. From what I've read, they are supposed to sub-moa out of the box and come with a detachable magazine, fluted barrel and a muzzle brake. The 2009 also has the accu-stock and accu-trigger.

I'll pick up the rifle next week and then I'll have to scope it, so a range report on it won't be for a few weeks.

Savage mdl 12 varmint can be had with 1x7 in 223. Then you could shoot anything up to 80gr.

MOA
    Try looking for a used remmy or savage varmint like a SFFV or what ever in 223. Just so you know a 308 will buck the wind better at those ranges. Just practic your wind reading. also the howas are nice. And the guy who is helping me with my long range stuff shoots a 223 out to 600 with 68grns all the time, and he keeps em tight.

You want cheap reloading and accurate? My next rifle is going to be a 22BR or dasher, 22-250 or .223AI all choices would be with a 1-6.5" twist barrel with a long throat so I can utilize the Berger 90grn VLD's that has a BC of .551, which means it is as good at bucking the wind as anything up to 6.5mm 130grn, will compete directly with anything a .308 will send down range because as the bullet weight goes up for a 308 past 175grn's the muzzle velocity drops way off as well. All this and still be much cheaper to reload than anything that competes with it ballistically.

This all of course would be with a bolt gun, I cannot say how it would work in an AR variant because I have not heard testing of the 90 VLD in an 1-7twist AR, only bolt guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser360
    You want cheap reloading and accurate? My next rifle is going to be a 22BR or dasher, 22-250 or .223AI all choices would be with a 1-6.5" twist barrel with a long throat so I can utilize the Berger 90grn VLD's that has a BC of .551, which means it is as good at bucking the wind as anything up to 6.5mm 130grn, will compete directly with anything a .308 will send down range because as the bullet weight goes up for a 308 past 175grn's the muzzle velocity drops way off as well. All this and still be much cheaper to reload than anything that competes with it ballistically.

This all of course would be with a bolt gun, I cannot say how it would work in an AR variant because I have not heard testing of the 90 VLD in an 1-7twist AR, only bolt guns.
    80 or 90 gr VLD's are single feed only in an AR because they won't fit in the magazine. They were really made for bolt rifles.
    Pigs get Fed. Hogs get Slaughtered.

If you were to compete in an F-class match it has to be single shot anyway, Mags are only allowed if you don't have a single shot action and need a follower to load one round at a time. Plus, if you were going to shoot long range, why would limit yourself to a certain bullet weight, length and round OAL? I'm not sure of what other competition's rules are, especially in the states, but the comp. you may want to shoot in has specific rules and regs that only allow you to certain bullet weights etc..

Ads