Torque specs for Remington 700 action??

This is a discussion on Torque specs for Remington 700 action?? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I've done a couple of searches and have not found anything. Are there standard, accepted action screw torque specs for a Remington 700 action? Specifically, ...

Torque specs for Remington 700 action??

I've done a couple of searches and have not found anything. Are there standard, accepted action screw torque specs for a Remington 700 action? Specifically, a 700 SPS Tactical model?? If so, what are they?

THANKS!!
    ‚ÄúNecessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.‚Ä

Administrator
    I run mine symmetrically torqued at 52 in/lbs. Mine is a VLS stock that I pillared and glassed, and my bottom metal is steel, so you may have different results.

I believe Mil-spec torque is 65 in/lbs...that's just unnecessary.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1997
    NRA Silhouette AA

I have the H-S Aluminum bedding block (Rem 700 action) and nice strong action screw to go with it, and the Max Torque on that solid metal bedding block is 65 in-lb, so I would definitely suggest nothing more than 60 in-lbs unless you have a metal bedding block.

Probably try 50, check the play, and then move up a few lbs. Anything higher you can risk damage (though anything beyond manufacturer specifications risks damage).

When I talked to the techs at McMillan they said they ran test from 35 inch-lbs up to something like 70 (cant remember the top end for sure) and they said it really does not matter as long as it is even front and rear. The Military uses 65 on the M24 and that is what I use on all of the B&C and HS stocks. For a non pillar bedded stock I'd suggest 45

MEL

Quote Originally Posted by shane4639
    Your Remington 700 5R barrelled action sits in an aluminum block bedded HS Precision stock.
    HS Precision recommends 65 inch pounds tension for the front and rear action screws on their stocks. I found this thread.
    http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... ion+torque

Quote Originally Posted by Black Ops
    Im not talking about a loose bolt so you reciever group can actually moove in the stock, but a bolt that is tight but not as tight as the 65 ft/lbs people talk about, yet i hear that it does make a difference. Even at 20 ft/lbs, that bolt is tight and the reciever group isnt going to move.
    [quote:3ve2g2s9]Now one more question for the gunsmiths on here, how does torqueing the bolts of the stock to reciever alter the accuracy. I know that when you torque a bolt, what you are actually trying to do is stretch the bolt a given distance (for example 6 thou) so it has a pre load on it.
    So if i torque my reciever bolts up to 20 ft/lbs which holds it nicely in a bedded stock, why does the accuracy change if you tighten it further to 65 ft/lbs
    It would be 65 Inch Pounds not FT like you stated ... At Tac Ops I will normally set the front action screw at 70 & the rear at 65.... Shoot I am giving away my 1/4 MOA secret :lol:

Mike
    Tac Ops
    But then what does he know..... :lol:

Best wishes,
    Shane[/quote:3ve2g2s9]

Hope that helps.
    #2 Infidel
    Jeff Dorr...Gone but not forgotten

Next builds:
    "Black and scary assault sniper rifle"
    "machine sniper pistols that spray bullets from clips"...Thanks CNN,NBC & CBS

The Rem factory bottom metal will not take a lot of torque like the more stout aftermarket bottom metal. I wouldn't go above 50 in lbs on factory Rem bottom metal, it's too thin.
    Pigs get Fed. Hogs get Slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrick10_2000
    The Rem factory bottom metal will not take a lot of torque like the more stout aftermarket bottom metal. I wouldn't go above 50 in lbs on factory Rem bottom metal, it's too thin.
    Mine is doing fine, and I have 65 inch pounds out back and 70 up front.
    #2 Infidel
    Jeff Dorr...Gone but not forgotten

Next builds:
    "Black and scary assault sniper rifle"
    "machine sniper pistols that spray bullets from clips"...Thanks CNN,NBC & CBS

Ads