Krieger barrels

This is a discussion on Krieger barrels within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I will be ordering my Barrel soon and would like to know if krieger makes pre fit barrels for savages? also how much would it ...

Thread: Krieger barrels

Krieger barrels

I will be ordering my Barrel soon and would like to know if krieger makes pre fit barrels for savages? also how much would it run me for one, their website is confusing and does not state that they even chamber for the 30-06 or anything about pre fits.
    Also should I go w/ Krieger over Shilen even if its more $? what is the performance diff. that I should expect between the two.
    Thanks
    -Felipe
    -Felipe

Give Krieger a call and ask them. I don't see it offered in their services. They will make a short or long chamber, but it would seem they want their barrels put on by gunsmith. Why pay the money for a custom barrel if you just want a factory tolerance fit? I would send your rifle off to OEM, he is very reasonable and has a good turnaround time. As to the quality of Shilen barrels, a lot of bench rest people swear by them, they can't be that bad. No two barrels are going to be the same. You could get one that is a hammer and the next one may not shoot as well.

6mmbr.com gives a pretty fair review of different barrel makers.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html
    Krieger Barrels
    Cut-rifled barrels with very long barrel life. Top smiths say Krieger barrels are almost always straight and true. Fewer duds than some other brands. Hard to go wrong with a Krieger.
    Shilen Barrels
    Big-name Texas barrel-maker still produces the lion's share of winning short-range BR barrels. They now offer ratchet (canted land) as well as conventional push-button rifling in 3, 4, 5 and 6 grooves
    My current "best shooter" is a stock Remington hammer forged barrel. You just never know. I am hoping that changes soon. I have a rifle currently in OEM's capable hands that should be in mine when I get home in just over 2 weeks. It sports a Mike Rock Creek barrel. I can't wait to see how it shoots. Stick with a quality barrel maker and you will be fine.
    What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.
    - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by shane4639
    Give Krieger a call and ask them. I don't see it offered in their services. They will make a short or long chamber, but it would seem they want their barrels put on by gunsmith. Why pay the money for a custom barrel if you just want a factory tolerance fit? I would send your rifle off to OEM, he is very reasonable and has a good turnaround time. As to the quality of Shilen barrels, a lot of bench rest people swear by them, they can't be that bad. No two barrels are going to be the same. You could get one that is a hammer and the next one may not shoot as well.

6mmbr.com gives a pretty fair review of different barrel makers.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html
    Krieger Barrels
    Cut-rifled barrels with very long barrel life. Top smiths say Krieger barrels are almost always straight and true. Fewer duds than some other brands. Hard to go wrong with a Krieger.
    [quote:2j0qmagl]Shilen Barrels
    Big-name Texas barrel-maker still produces the lion's share of winning short-range BR barrels. They now offer ratchet (canted land) as well as conventional push-button rifling in 3, 4, 5 and 6 grooves
    My current "best shooter" is a stock Remington hammer forged barrel. You just never know. I am hoping that changes soon. I have a rifle currently in OEM's capable hands that should be in mine when I get home in just over 2 weeks. It sports a Mike Rock Creek barrel. I can't wait to see how it shoots. Stick with a quality barrel maker and you will be fine.[/quote:2j0qmagl]

Thanks for the reply. I will be giving them a call monday. as for me sending it to one eyed mac, I have had numorous conversations via pm and email about this w/ him, and since I want to build the rifle myself, that is what I will do, but if for some reason it doesnt shoot, its going down to ohio for blueprinting.
    Regards
    -Felipe
    -Felipe

You will probably have a 3-4 month weight as well so factor that in.
    NOMAD
    8541 3/6,STA 3/2 STA,
    Fast CO.,MCSFTCO CQB Section
    www.teamblaster.net, www.impactdatabooks.com

Shilen is also at 12 weeks + so im just comparing quality.
    -FElipe
    -Felipe

We have Kriegers on our 6.5 Creedmoors and I had one on my 300WM and they are very accurate and clean up easy. I wouldn't hesitate to get another. They would be my choice.

I decided that I am going to have a krieger put on it.
    -Felipe
    -Felipe

Good choice.

Ads