Remington 700 VLS?

This is a discussion on Remington 700 VLS? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; How good a rifle is an off the shelf Remington 700 VLS in .308 Win.? I've been looking for a rifle for .308 Win. range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remington 700 VLS?

How good a rifle is an off the shelf Remington 700 VLS in .308 Win.?

I've been looking for a rifle for .308 Win. range rifle (going to be shooting 600 m or less) and was recently offered a fair deal on a Remington VLS... and I started wondering how it compares to for example to a Tikka T3 Varmint or other varmint rifles roughly in the same price range.

APK
    For the money you almost can't beat a 700. I prefer the synthetic models but it all depends upon aplication. What will you be doing out to 600m? Target shooting or field work(ie-hunting). Is this your first 'long-range' gun, or just your first .308? Given details, the members of this site can be quite helpful.
    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
    -Thomas Paine

I am mostly looking for a rifle for target shooting, but I will probably also use the rifle for hunting as well. Although for the later purpose the ranges will be much shorter, Finnish forests tend to be quite dense.

As for previous experience with rifles: I have a Swedish M38 Mauser (6.5x55) and a German 98k (8x57). This would be my first scoped long range rifle.

APK
    Well I can tell you how I am setting up my 700...

Remington 700 5R
    Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M3 w/ Illum. Duplex
    TPS 30mm rings
    Ken Farrell base
    HS stock has been sold and is being replaced

I'm planning on shooting about the same ranges, maybe a little farther. Honestly if I were you, I would look into the 700 LTR. It will get you to the ranges you want to reach, and also cut down on weight. I am having my barrel cut down for this reason.

Do you already have a scope or are you looking? Also, telling us your budge t will be very helpful also. Because if you have enough to go with a custom SC1 setup, that would def. be the way to go. A SC1 with a 20" barrel, #6 or 7 in a HTG stock would be very sweet and definately a good price. Now that I think of it...the name SC2 may be in your future...
    "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
    -Thomas Paine

More or less in order of points raised by you:

I don't mind the weight, in fact I'll rather carry the extra weight then tolerate the bit worse felt recoil of a lighter rifle.

I have an old Weaver scope; I was thinking I'd start out with that and look in to getting an upgrade some time later, once I've gotten to see how the rifle performs.

Budget... for the rifle : 1000 or less is ideal, but I would rather not go beyond 1500. I'll worry about the scope later. However, since guns in Finland are priced rather differently then in the US (read, they are more expensive), I don't know how useful this information is.

The SC guns pretty much out of question (unless Mel has an importer in Finland, which I strongly doubt*). Importing firearms in to Finland as a private individual is a royal pain in the ass, praise be to bureaucracy.
    * and even then there would be the not at all insignificant matter of taxes jacking up the price.

APK
    Things to think about...

A .308 doesn't have much recoil, LTR or otherwise. The scope is fine to start out with, and I guess your right about importing an SC :P

Well recently I have really become a fan of the shorter barrels when learning that they still get a full burn. So I don't see the need for any longer than 20" but its up to you.
    -Thomas Paine

You are right about the recoil, but less recoil is still better.

Now to get to get back to the original topic... How does the Remington 700 VLS compare to a Tikka T3 Varmint or other varmint/tactical rifles more or less in it's price range?

APK
    Recoil- get a muzzle break.

How do the 2 compare price wise out there?
    -Thomas Paine

I was thinking I'd get a silencer rather then a muzzle break.

They're pretty much the same. The offer I've gotten for the VLS is about 70 less then the lowest quote for a T3 Varmint I've found. IMO 70 here or there doesn't really matter.

However, upgrading the Remington ought to be easier then the Tikka. New stocks, barrels and other gear fort the Remington are a found pretty much every where you look. The same can't be said of the Tikka.

APK
    Yea at that price that wouldn't really be a determining factor. But yea, my next comment was going to be just that, upgrades It is up to you in the end, but I am a 700 whore, i just love that action. The VLS would be a good project gun too, its fun to start with something then make it better over time. Plus you will learn alot in the process.
    -Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads