Long Range - 300 WSM vs 325 WSM

This is a discussion on Long Range - 300 WSM vs 325 WSM within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Looking at buying a new long range rifle. Trying to do without custom building something and ammo I can buy off the shelf. But have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long Range - 300 WSM vs 325 WSM

Looking at buying a new long range rifle. Trying to do without custom building something and ammo I can buy off the shelf. But have heard that you can build one cheaper than buying? Don't know - but I haven never been down that road and am not sure how much effort / time that would entail. I think I am sold on the 300 WSM but wanted to solicit some experienced feedback. Looking at this one - http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/index.php #005. I would be grateful for any insight you can give.

I did look at the 325 WSM also but ballistics are almost indentical (based on the 180gr). However the 300 is much cheaper to shoot. From what I've read it doesn't sound like I am missing anything by passing on the 325. Thoughts?

Any other sizes I should consider? Looked at .308s, 6.8 and 6.5 and others too but 300 WSM ballastics win still in performance. Want to stay under .40 for ammo cost sake. Already have a Bushmaster 450 but want something with a little more range out to 500+ yds.

Any help is appreciated.

i own a browning abolt eclipse in 300 wsm it handles light loads like 150 165 gr bullets nicely but the heavier ones it seems to have some problems this goes along with literature you may read on the round it is supposed to be the ballistic twin of the 300 win but falls short with the heavier bullets. i would suggest the 300 win if you want a mag or a 300 0r 338 RUM if you want an ultra mag but if you want a reliable gun that will last a long freakin time that is cost effective to shoot and super accurate then you might try the 308 or 260 rem

Administrator

Re: Long Range - 300 WSM vs 325 WSM

Well. Right off, I won't tell you I have experience with the 300 or 325WSM.

What I will say is that the Texan is right on: you certainly do not need such heavy artillery to reach medium ranges like 500 yards. Plain and simple, an unmodified .308 family cartridge will reach 500-600 yards with exceptional accuracy and much authority. In fact, any of the medium capacity, medium intensity, medium caliber cartidges will do what you want to do, and at much lower cost in both dollars and recoil.

Furthermore. I really urge you to reconsider going the route of the proprietary WSM cartridges. I really look for those to go the way of the dodo within a decade, both in terms of popularity AND ammunition availability. They are built on solid science developed in the crucible of competitive shooting, but I am not seeing evidence of the necessary popularity for a given cartridge or family to make it in this world.

Though not every good thing was once selected by the military, it takes a lot more than just good performance to allow a cartridge to become a standby...otherwise, the .243 Winchester might not have been invented.

-Nate
    NRA Service Rifle High Master
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman Badge
    NRA Silhouette AA

Very good - great feedback guys.

Nate- actually the proprietary nature of the WSM family did pose some concern for me. After hearing some other opinions regarding its longevity does give me pause now.

Perhaps I will do some further research on ballasitc comparisons for some of the other standard sizes before I decide.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to comment.

You'd definately be well served listening to Nate's advice as the WSM's aren't necessary for your goals and would only provide extra recoil and shooting costs at the ranges you planing to shoot. Although, I'd make a friendly wager that the WSM's are here to stay, they seem more and more popular, although not on the same level as the 260 and 6.5x47 Lapua (at least at the comps I go to).

hello

I have to disagree with nate, the 300 wsm will be around for along time. The short mag has been around for a long time it was not call short mag though. take a look a the .284 win, which is now coming back to the lime light, fits in short action with magnum velocities. There are other cartridges based on this case with great success. Now do you need a magnum? The ranges stated above if just shooting paper you don't need, if your shooting game you may need a magnum depending on the size of game your hunting. And yes the 300 wsm is equal to the 300 win mag if you compare them right. 300wsm may not drive 180 or heavier bullet at the same vel in a 26" or longer barrel but you cut the barrel down and the short mag really shines. just check out the velocities on a 23" barrel or shorter and the wsm comes out on top. So do your research and run it by the guys on SniperCentral and we/they won't steer you wrong.

Cliffy

Cliff, you're "spot on" my friend!! I own a Model 70 chambered in 300 WSM that I put a Lilja stainless barrel on (hand lapped) and it out shoots all the other "custom builds" I own. Trust me...I own many. The barrel is 22" long and fluted. The 300 WSM ain't goin' away for many years and I'd shoot anything in the North American continent with it!!
    A perfectly made head shot is always a guarantee of "Game Over"

I like the wsm and don't think it is going anywhere but the ar-10 post above keeps referring to the 300 rsam and that one I think will die on the vine do to the winchester's popularity.
    alone in the darkness waiting to be judged for his kindness and his sins

Don't forget the good 'ol .30-06. It's an oldie but it can still shoot and it won't break the bank.

You can also get better velocities and less recoil with the .260, 6.5x284, 6.5x47, and 6.5 creedmoor. Just to name a few. I would do a little more searching before you make the plung into the 300wsm. It's a great round, but a definate shoulder pounder. Like what was said before, if your hunting out to 500yds then the 300wsm might be the way you want to go. Punching paper though, I'd go with .260, .308, or any of the other 6.5mm. I thought about putting together a 7mm wsm for a 1,000yd rifle, but still trying to decide between the .260 and 7mm wsm. That 6.5x47 lapua is a nice little round too.

B
    Customized .308 Rem700P / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage 10FP / NF 5.5-22x50mm MLR
    .308 Savage BA / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR
    .338 lapua mag. Dakota Arms T-76 Longbow / NF 5.5-22x56mm MLR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads